June 13, 2014 FEA Stateside Newsletter
PAY YEAR 2014 --IMPORTANT!!! An MOU has recently been signed that adjusts the pay periods for certified staff over the next 2 pay years. This change will go into effect for the start of the new pay year which begins on June 29th with the payday of July 18th. While the MOU can read in its entirety on the FEA website here - the ‘meat' of the MOU is this:
- For School Year 2014-2015, the pay year will commence on June 29, 2014 and end on July 11, 2015 for a total of 27 pay periods.
- For School Year 2015-2016, the pay year will commence on July 12, 2015 and end on July 23, 2016 for a total of 27 pay periods.
- For School Year 2016-2017, and thereafter, the pay year will commence on July 25th and end on July 24th for a total of 26 pay periods.
At this time, the pay increase is still based on the current MLA (3%). [See next paragraph for contract negotiation update.] In the meantime, members are STRONGLY encouraged to request, in writing, in accordance with current Article 8 section 10b:
"Upon a bargaining unit member submitting a written request to the Agency within the first sixty (60) days of each new school year, the Agency will provide the unit member with a worksheet (Appendix D) explaining their salary breakdown for the year. If necessary, the worksheet will be updated and redistributed once during the year if the employee so requests in writing. The worksheet will reflect what the employee has earned by pay period compared with what the employee has received and the cumulative result of salary earned compared to salary paid. This information will allow employees to identify the pay period(s) in which salaries earned and paid are at a "break-even" point.
CONTRACT ARBITRATION: The lawyers' briefs are currently being reviewed by both parties. Once the arbitrator reviews the proposals and accompanying briefs on all outstanding articles of the contract, he will issue a final decision as to which sides' proposals -- article by article - he will accept. Until the parties sign an agreement, the current contract stays in effect.
MOUs: There are many MOUS that have been recently signed and will impact educators in SY 2014. They are:
- Culinary Arts Program training
- Health Science materials training
- ESL - professional development for ESL educators in the use of new Math materials
- MS/HS counselors' training on the revision to the DODEA High School Graduation requirements
We have yet to get final agreements on the use of the new high school Science texts; the change to the Medical Power of Attorney; Background Investigation checks, and the training for the use of ASPEN for the Gifted Education ‘Blue Cards'. Association members can review the MOUs on the FEA website, or contact your local Association president.
DoDEA Information Technology: will be implementing the worldwide instance of the Kayako Service Desk platform starting in SY14/15. Nearly identical to the current process/procedure, users will click the Service Desk icon on their desktops. Upon clicking the icon, and authenticating via DoD Common Access Card educators will have access to the Help Desk.