November 15, 2011 FEA President's ReportTo: FEA Members and Local Leaders Worldwide
From: Michael Priser, FEA President
Re: FEA President's Report
Date: November 15, 2011
MICROSOFT ACADEMIC ALLIANCE MOU -- FEA and DoDEA recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) governing the voluntary use of the MSDN (Microsoft) Academic Alliance Program throughout DoDEA. The MOU is available on the FEA Web site at www.feaonine.org/mous.htm
K-3 TEACHERS READING ASSESSMENT -- According to the MOU, classroom teachers, reading specialist and special education teachers who serve students in grades K-3, should have been trained in administering the BAS (K-3 Reading Assessment). FEA is asking those educators to keep notes on feedback, concerns, areas for improvement, and helpful hints on this assessment. We will be surveying teachers after the winter break. We will be gathering information on the following:
· Time involved in giving this test
· The usefulness of test data for the classroom teacher
· How to streamline reading data on students
· Tips that assist in giving the BAS
· The effectiveness of training both for administration and using data
· Concerns on implementing the MOU
· Access to materials, technology and substitute teachers
Your feedback will be invaluable as we move forward in providing the best instruction in reading for our students.
TRAVELS -- I plan to be visiting a number of schools over the next 2 months and look forward to updating members on information coming from DoDEA and listening to members concerns in the schools. I want to hear from those who impact our military children directly. This week I will be at Fort Benning (Tuesday, November 15), Maxwell Air Base (Wednesday) and Fort Rucker (Thursday). Immediately following the Thanksgiving weekend, I will be visiting AFNORTH (Monday, November 28), Spangdahlem/Bitburg (Tuesday), Kaiserslautern (Wednesday) and Baumholder (Thursday).
TWO VALUABLE RESOURCES -- I wanted to call your attention to a pair of valuable online resources to help you in the classroom:
* Find innovative, online, teacher-reviewed lesson resources--fast--using the Lesson Planet curriculum search solution. NEA Member Exclusive: Receive 20% off one-year membership! Check it out at: this link.
* NEA members have free access to thousands of online learning resources and tools such as lesson plans, videos, worksheets, multimedia activities and courses through the Curriki online community. Obtain open source peer-reviewed content, collaborate with other educators, and share your own content. Find out more about Curriki at www.neamb.com under the Professional Resources tab.
AMERICAN EDUCATION WEEK AND ESP DAY -- This week, November 13-19, we celebrate American Education Week. In addition, this Wednesday, November 16, is Education Support Professionals Day. In an ideal world, the amazing work all of you perform to shape the lives of young people would receive proper recognition and adulation everyday instead of just during one designated week. Congratulations and thank you for all that you do!
FEEDBACK ON DODEA'S COMMUNITY STRATEGIC GOALS -- FEA appreciates all the input it received on the Mission/Vision/and Guiding Principles. This feedback will go back to the committee for more work. The next step is to look at the 5 goal areas the committee has proposed:
Strategic Goal 1 -- Student Excellence
Challenge each student to maximize his or her potential and to excel and progress academically, socially, emotionally and physically to ensure college and career readiness.
Strategic Goal 2 -- school excellence
Build and sustain each school to be high-performing within an environment of innovation, collaboration, continuous renewal and caring relationships.
Strategic Goal 3 -- People excellence
Recruit, develop and empower a high-performing team of professionals to maximize highest achievement for each student.
Strategic Goal 4 -- organizational excellence
Build a great, enduring organization with innovative and collaborative people, thought and action.
Strategic Goal 5 -- Outreach Excellence
Build productive partnerships with parents and communities to expand the educational opportunities for students.
If you have any feedback on these 5 goals, please send it to me by this Friday, November 18, at email@example.com. Thanks!