September 8, 2016 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. Administrator Placements
4. FEGLI Open Season
7. FEA Europe Leadership
8. Late Breaking News
9. Federal Long Term Care Insurance
11. Mark Your Calendar
12. September 11
13. Non Temporary Storage
14. Contact Information for Schools
15. New UniServ
1. Welcome Back -- Let me take a moment to welcome back all new and returning teachers and staff. It is hard to believe that the summer passed so quickly and that we are already in to the 9th day of classes. If things continue the way that they have been we will be talking about winter break before you know it. The reorganization of DoDEA was accomplished this summer, and as we determine how it is working out we will keep you updated. In general, things seem to have somewhat stabilized in terms of school closures, and I am optimistically hoping for a very good school year.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- If you look at the list under #11 below you will see a number of meetings and trainings that are scheduled for the next two weeks. I will be at all of them bar one. Please bear with me if at any point I should fall behind in answering messages or emails.
3. Administrator Placements -- Attached is the listing for the most current administrator placements as of September 4, 2016.
4. FEGLI -- For the first time in 12 years the Federal Employee's Group Life is having an open season. This will occur from September 1, 2016 through September 30, 2016. During the Open Season, FEGLI-eligible employees can enroll in FEGLI or increase coverage up to the maximum offered by the program. FEGLI-eligible employees can elect any coverage the program offers, including Option C coverage on the lives of your spouse and eligible dependent children under age 22. As a reminder, enrolled employees can cancel coverage, reduce coverage, or change beneficiaries at any time - no need to wait until a FEGLI Open Season. There is no medical exam required and there are no health questions with your FEGLI Open Season election. You can find further information here: OPM's announcement
5. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. The next Update will be the President's Report on or about September 15 or sooner. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
6. EAC -- The European Area Council will be meeting on Thursday and Friday, September 15-16, at the DSO office on RAF Feltwell, England. Please note also that September 17 is Association Day. All members are invited. Full details can be found in the attachment
7. FEA Europe Leadership -- The Division Representatives and other FEA leaders for Europe for SY 16-17 are as follows:
- Europe East 2, Terry McClain
- Europe East 1, Susan Kelly
- Europe West, Anita Lang
- Alex Veto is the Area Director for Europe East and the Med
- Alina Rozanski, Europe Area HCR Coordinator
8. Late Breaking News -- In a press release from the White House on September 7, FEA's very own Executive Director, General Counsel, and good friend H.T.Nguyen, has been appointed as a Member of the National Council on Federal Labor-Management Relations. The memo from the White House is attached. Congratulations H.T.!!!
9. Federal Long Time Care Insurance (FLTCIP) -- The news is out that the premiums for FLTCIP will be increasing dramatically. If this would affect you, then read more at this site.
10. LES -- With the first full paycheck of the school year coming up on September 23, for those on the 21 pay plan as well as those on the 26 pay plan, please again check your Leave and Earnings statement carefully. Some things to watch for: that you are being paid on the right step; that your SCD is correct; that you have the correct number of leave days to include the 10 credited this year, and that any allotments you have are still correct. Also, for those who have a TSP loan and who stopped their payments over the summer be sure that the Agency has restarted the payments. Failure to do so can cause problems with TSP at tax time. If they are not taking out the payments you can use form TSP-41 to get them restarted.
11. Mark Your Calendar-
September 9 -- Europe East 2 Contract Training
September 12 -- Europe East 1 Contract Training
September 14 -- Europe West Contract Training
September 15 -- Bavaria Contract Training
September 15-16 -- European Area Council
September 17 -- Association day
12. September 11 - On September 11, 2001, four U.S. planes hijacked by terrorists intentionally crashed two commercial airliners into the World Trade Center buildings in New York City, killing everyone on board and many others working in the buildings. The hijackers crashed a third airliner into the Pentagon, just outside Washington, D.C. The fourth plane crashed into a field near Shanksville in rural Pennsylvania after some of its passengers and flight crew attempted to retake control of the plane, which the hijackers had redirected toward Washington, D.C. There were no survivors from any of the flights. Following is a short tribute video put together by Middle School students in the aftermath of the event. It may help if you wish to discuss this with those who are too young to have even been alive in 2001. It is from School Tube so it is ‘safe'. Click here for the video
13. Non-Temporary Storage - Goods in Storage: If you have goods in storage, you should normally receive a "fund cite" in September. The fund citations for the storage are done on a fiscal year basis. DoDEA notifies the storage companies of the new fund citations and employees about the same time. The notices go initially to the school secretary, who should distribute them to employees. If you have not received a notice, please check first with your school secretary.
14. Contact Information for Schools - Please make sure to notify us if there has been a change in FRS/FR or Local Officers, etc. We want to make sure that information, including these Updates, is going to the right people in each school. We believe we have everything correct as of the end of last SY, but want to keep an eye on the few outstanding elections that were taking place on the return to school this August.
15. New UniServ -- This was announced in the late Spring but as of September 1 Europe East officially has a new UniServ, Mr. Alex Nguyen. His contact information can be found in the FEA pocket calendar. He will also be in attendance at the upcoming trainings so FRS's will get the chance to meet him. Welcome aboard Alex!!
FEA Europe Area Director