September 10 2015 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back
3. Beginning of Year Tips
4. Membership Information
5. Area JCC
7. Administrator Placements
8. FRS Training Dates
9. FEA Europe Leadership
10. Federal Benefits Open Season
11. Mark Your Calendar
12. Mandatory Trainings
13. September 11 -- Anniversary of 9/11
15. On a Lighter Note
1. Welcome Back -- Let me take a moment to welcome back all new and returning teachers and staff. It is hard to believe that the summer passed so quickly, but as always, it did! The good thing so far for this school year is that there are no planned closures, and even some new schools opening. In any event, I want to wish any and all of you who are reading this an absolutely terrific SY 15/16, no matter what your current location or position!
2. Restructuring -- Many of you heard about DoDEA's plan for restructuring back in May from Mr. Brady. Latest reports are that it is moving forward but without a hard and fast timeline at this moment. The article below talks more about some of the plans. Thanks to NEA Director for FEA Brian Chance for this information. see article here.
3. Beginning of Year Tips -- With school having just started it might be a good idea to take a glance at NEA's Back to School Guide. It has great tips for getting the year off to productive start, with articles on all types of early year activities to shortcuts for remembering the names of all the new students. You can access it here.
4. Membership Information -- Membership information was sent from FEA Washington during the summer to either the FRS or the Membership Chairperson. If you have not yet received this information at your school, or did not receive enough forms, please contact your Area Director.
5. Area JCC -- The Area JCC was held in Sembach on Friday, September 4 at 1100.We will publish the minutes as soon as they are finalized. The next JCC is tentatively scheduled for October 23.
6. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. The next Update will be the President's Report on September 15 and then Lisa's Update will appear the following week. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
7. Administrator Placements -- Attached is the listing for the most current administrator placements as of September 4. There is still one vacancy.
8. FRS Training Dates -- The following are the dates of FRS trainings later this month:
Isles -- Sept 11 -- Lakenheath
Bavaria -- Sept 15 -- Nuremberg
K1 -- Sept 18 -- Kaiserslautern
K2 -- Sept 18 -- Wiesbaden
9. FEA Europe Leadership -- The Division Representatives and other FEA leaders for Europe for SY 15-16 are as follows:
- Bavaria, Terry McClain
- Kaiserslautern 1, Susan Kelly
- Isles, Anita Lang
- Kaiserslautern 2, Nancy Almendras
- Alex Veto is the Area Director for Europe South and the Med
- Alina Rozanski, Europe Area HCR Coordinator
- Lisa Garmon Ali is the Area Director for Europe North and Cuba
10. Federal Benefits Open Season -- While this is an early warning, the dates will come up fast so you need to be prepared.This year's Federal Benefits Open Season will run from Monday, November 9,2015 through Monday, December 14, 2015. During the annual Open Season, employees can take the actions listed below for the Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS), Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP), and the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB)Program.
- Enroll in a flexible spending account
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a dental plan under the FEDVIP Program.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a vision plan under the FEDVIP Program.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a health plan under the FEHB Program.
The attached documents provide important information and links that will assist to initiate changes.
11. Mark Your Calendars --
September 11 -- Isles Contract Training
September 13 -- Grandparents Day
September 14 -- Rosh Hashanah
September 15 -- Bavaria Contract Training
September 16-17 -- European Area Council
September 18 -- Kaiserslautern 1 & 2 Contract Training
September 23 -- Yom Kippur
12. Mandatory Trainings -- There are a number of trainings that must be completed at the beginning of each school year. FRS's at each school should now be negotiating with administration to set up a date to have these completed. The list of those trainings that are required are attached.
13. September 11 - Anniversary of 9/11 - On September 11, 2001, four U.S. planes hijacked by terrorists intentionally crashed two commercial airliners into the World Trade Center buildings in New York City, killing everyone on board and many others working in the buildings. The hijackers crashed a third airliner into the Pentagon, just outside Washington, D.C. The fourth plane crashed into a field near Shanksville in rural Pennsylvania after some of its passengers and flight crew attempted to retake control of the plane, which the hijackers had redirected toward Washington, D.C. There were no survivors from any of the flights. To see a record of those who died, visit September 11: A Memorial.
14. EAC -- The European Area Council will be meeting on Wednesday and Thursday, September 16-17, at the Merkur hotel in Nuremberg. Wednesday afternoon from 1600-1700 has been designated as the time for the General Membership meeting, so if you can make it or already are in the vicinity, please stop by. We would love to see you.
15. On a Lighter Note - Back to school
FEA Europe Area Director