September 1 2010 FEA Europe Report1. Contact Information for Schools
2. Change of Schedule
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. FEA President in Europe
5. Calendar Corrections
6. Pay Organizer
7. RAT Reimbursement Claims
8. Training Rescheduled
9. New Teachers
10. New School Year
11. Mark Your Calendars
1. Contact Information for Schools - Please make sure to notify us if there has been a change in FRS/FR or Local Officers, etc. We want to make sure that information, including these Updates, is going to the right people in each school.
2. Change of Schedule - Due to my travel next week and to some computer problems that Alex is currently having, I am sending out the Update again this week. Alex will send the next Update out on Sept 8th, and we will not have one on Sept 15th, due to training and the EAC meetings.
3. Area Directors' Travels - It is a very busy time of year for everyone, including FEA leadership. I have already visited schools in Wiesbaden, Mannheim, and Heidelberg. On August 27th, Alex attended the Oberpfalz EA Welcome Back picnic in Vilseck along with FEA President Michael Priser. On Monday, August 30th, he visited Hohenfels ES and the HS. Today Alex and I will attend our first Area JCC meeting, as well as meeting with William Suddeth, DoDDS-E EEO Counselor. Alex goes next to Kaiserslautern on September 2nd and I will be in the UK September 6-10 to visit schools in the Lakenheath and Alconbury complexes. Alex also plans to be in Baumholder on September 25th where he will be conducting a training with the Baumholder EA. We both hope to visit schools as frequently as possible and will keep you posted on our schedules.
4. FEA President in Europe - FEA President Michael Priser is currently doing school visits in Europe. He will be in Stuttgart and Kaiserslautern this week. He will also be in the Lakenheath complex Sept. 9th, and in Wiesbaden on Sept. 13th, as well as attending FRS Trainings and the Fall EAC meeting. If you are in one of these areas, be sure to make an effort to hear him speak. Michael is a wonderful advocate for our schools, our teachers, and our students.
5. Calendar Corrections - Please note that the email address listed on the back of the FEA Pocket Calendar for Noemi (Mimi) Cuadrado, Europe HCR coordinator is incorrect. The correct email address should read as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org
The DSN number listed for me on the calendar is also incorrect - it should be DSN 335-5373/5369. Those numbers are for Wiesbaden MS where my office is located. They can transfer you to my office number. If you have access to a civilian line, these numbers are better as they are direct to my office: (0049) 0611-44756131 or 234.
6. Pay Organizer - I will be sending out Excel Pay Organizers for this school year in a separate e-mail. For the past several years, Larry Tjeltveit, a member at SHAPE ES, has developed these and is kind enough to share them. These organizers are an excellent way to track your pay, entitlements, and deductions. Because of continuing problems with teachers' pay and entitlements, FEA recommends that teachers watch their LES's carefully for unexpected changes. Currently we are aware that there has been a "glitch" in the pay of some teachers who were on 26 pay periods. Check your recent LES's especially carefully.
Many thanks to Larry for this helpful tool.
7. RAT Reimbursement Claims - For submitting your RAT Reimbursement vouchers, you can use the following addresses which SHOULD be on the back of your orders - 'email@example.com'; 'firstname.lastname@example.org'; 'email@example.com'. I am hearing that these are being processed quickly, so I hope that continues.
8. Training Rescheduled - The workshop cancelled due to the volcanic eruption (Strategic Leadership Development-Group Process Skills) has been rescheduled for October 16-17, 2010 in Kaiserslautern. One graduate credit will be available. POC for this workshop is Terese Sarno.
9. New Teachers - New teachers might want to check out this link from the NEA website for a list of tips for new teachers. "Veteran" teachers might find some useful ideas there as well. The NEA website is updated often and offers a wealth of resources.
10. New School Year - With a few exceptions, school seems to have started smoothly this year. I know that teachers put many, many extra hours in to make sure that things were ready for the students' first day. Please remember that when issues do arise, your FRS should address them with the principal and try to resolve them at that level. If issues cannot be resolved there, then they can be elevated to your District Reps.
11. Mark Your Calendars -
Friday Sept 10 - Isles (England Schools) (Training location TBA in the Lakenheath Complex)
Monday Sept 13 - Kaiserslautern (Training in Kaiserslautern)
Monday Sept 13 - Heidelberg (including Isles Schools on the continent) (Training in Wiesbaden)
Wednesday Sept 15 - Bavaria (Training in Nuremberg)
Thursday/Friday Sept 16,17 - The European Area Council will meet in Garmisch
Thanks for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
0611-44756131 or DSN 335-5373/69