August 27, 2014 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back!
2. Administrator Placements
3. FEA Communication
4. TSP Loans
5. Contract Training
7. Contacting You
8. DoD News
9. Labor Day September 1
10. Mark Your Calendars
11. Change in Payroll Dues Deductions
12. Membership Information
13. Pay Organizer
14. First Day
1. Welcome Back! - Let me take a moment to welcome back all new and returning teachers and staff. It is hard to believe that the summer passed so quickly, but if things continue the way that they have been we will be talking about winter break before you know it. There have been many changes, some in administration as you can see from #2 below, and some because of all the teachers from our closing schools who joined other staffs. After being threatened with closure since I was excessed from there in 1992, Bamberg has finally officially closed its doors. I never thought it would happen. Initial reports for this year originally indicated that many schools were well under projection, but as doors finally opened it appears most of that deficit has been made up. All in all it will be another interesting and challenging year. Armed with the fact that I know the quality of people who are reading this I am certain that it will also be a productive year filled with rewards. Again, Welcome Back!
2. Administrator Placements - Attached is the most current available listing of administrator placements for 2014/2015. We will keep this updated as any new placements are officially announced.
3. FEA Communication - Your handy-dandy pocket FEA calendar is a wonderful guide to FEA and the people that you may need to reach:
Alex Veto (Area Director for the Bavaria and Kaiserslautern I Divisions, as well as members in the Med),and Lisa Ali (Area Director for the Isles and Kaiserslautern II Divisions and Cuba) can be reached on Outlook or on private email and by phone as listed on the back cover of the calendar.
For contacting FEA in Washington, use the following addresses:
FEAAdmin@nea.org (use to contact Connie Shanaghan, Gary Hritz, and Nereyda Jones and questions regarding transfers, membership, etc.)
FEALegal@nea.org (use to contact HT Nguyen, Richard Tarr, and Patricia Weil)
CMcCarter@nea.org (use to contact Chuck McCarter, FEA President)
JFreeman@nea.org (use to contact Jan Freeman)
BFreeman@nea.org (use to contact Bill Freeman concerning pay issues, etc.)
BHunter@nea.org (use to contact Ben Hunter.)
If you need to send information to our UniServ Attorneys, please remember that they work remotely and that large electronic files often shut down their systems. Please do NOT send them lengthy email files unless they specifically request them. Normally you can send them a short email and they will advise you to send things by mail, fax, etc. Ben Hunter is our UniServ for Bavaria and Kaiserslautern I, as well as our members in the Med. Jan Freeman is the UniServ attorney for Kaiserslautern II, the Isles, and our members in Cuba. Bill Freeman handles pay problems/cases for all FEA members in Europe. Phone and fax numbers as well as mailing addresses for our UniServs are in your pocket calendars.
Our Division Reps are as follows: Bavaria, Terry McClain; Kaiserslautern II, Nancy Almendras; Isles, Anita Lang; Kaiserslautern I, Susan Kelly. Our Human and Civil Rights Coordinator for Europe is Alina Rozanski. Contact Information for your Division Reps and HCR Rep is also in the calendar.
If your school has NOT received your membership materials, please contact your Division Rep or Area Director.
4. TSP Loans - If you stopped repayment of a TSP loan back in June since you were entering non-pay status, please be aware that you must now reverse the process using the following form: available here. Failure to do so can result in some unwanted negative consequences.
5. FRS Training Dates -- For your planning purposes, the FRS Contract Training Dates are as follows:
Monday Sept 8 -- Bavaria (Nuremberg)
Wednesday Sept 10 -- Kaiserslautern I (Training in Kaiserslautern)
Wednesday Sept 10 -- Kaiserslautern II (Training in Wiesbaden)
Monday Sept 15 -- Isles (TBA)
Thursday/Friday Sept 11,12 - The European Area Council will meet in Wiesbaden.
Please note, the dates above are correct.There are two trainings scheduled on Sept 10.
The Contract language regarding the number of representatives for this training is attached
6. Update- Lisa will be back with the next Update. I will not be back until September 17, as you can see from #5 above that I will be on the road for the week beginning with September 8.In the meantime, as always, keep up to date at www.feaonline.org
7. Contacting You - Please make sure that we have the current FRS/FR's at your school on our mailing lists so that our information can be shared quickly. FEA Europe makes every effort to get out accurate and important information as quickly as possible. Lisa and I will alternate sending out Updates, normally on Wednesday each week. We will continue to update our mailing lists as corrections come in. Please send all corrections, additions, deletions, and new names to your Area Director.
8 . DoD News -- Thanks to Brian Chance for sending this article from the U.S. Department of Defense News, dated August 25. It is an interesting and informative article detailing the views of Mr. Tom Brady, the new director of DoDEA, as he reflects on the opening of school for 2014-2015. Read the article here.
9. Labor Day September 1 - Labor Day honors the American worker and acknowledges the value and dignity of work and its role in American life. Labor Day was first celebrated on September 5, 1882, in New York, and continued to be celebrated until June 28, 1894, when Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday. As it stands now, it is one of the more popular holidays with most DoDDS-E teachers!
10. Mark Your Calendars --
September 1 -- Labor Day
September 8 -- Bavaria Division Contract Training
September 10 -- Kaiserslautern Divisions 1 & 2 Contract Training
September 11-12 - European Area Council, Wiesbaden
September 13 -- Association Day, Wiesbaden
September 14 -- Grandparents Day
September 15 -- Isles Division Contract Training
11. Change in Payroll Dues Deductions - FEA members who wish to cancel or change your dues deductions for this school year must do so by September 1, 2014. You will need to submit form SF1188 (available from your school secretary) to John Crowe, ( John.Crowe@eu.dodea.edu ) FEA Europe Membership Processor, with a copy to their DoDDS Customer Service Rep at their DSO by September 1, 2014. Cancellations received after that date cannot be processed for SY 2014/2015.
12. Membership Information -- Membership information has been sent from FEA Washington during the summer to either the FRS or the Membership Chairperson at each school. If your school has not received this information please contact your respective District Rep and/or Area Director. Now is the time to consider joining if you have not already done so. Your FRS has plenty of information to share on the benefits of joining us.
13. Pay Organizer - For the 4th year running (and I believe it has been longer) I want to thank Larry Tjelveit of SHAPE ES for sharing his pay organizer with our members. When used correctly and faithfully it is an invaluable tool for taking care of personal finances, checking for fluctuations in pay, and even ultimately for combating debt letters.
14. First Day -- The Truth (see attached)
FEA Europe Area Director