August 25 2009 FEA Europe Update1. Welcome to SY 2009-10!
2. FEA Communication
3. Contacting YOU
4. FRS Training and Information
5. Association Day!
6. Change in Payroll Dues Deductions
7. Save Your LES's, etc.
8. Available Resources
9. Mandatory Trainings
10. Check the Dates
11. Good Wishes
1. Welcome to School Year 2009-10! For those of you returning to DoDDS-E, I hope you had a refreshing and enjoyable summer, and wish you a great new school year. For those of you new to DoDDS-E, let me welcome you and wish you all the best as you begin your first year in DoDDS-E. FEA is ready to assist you in any way possible.
2. FEA Communication - Your handy-dandy pocket FEA calendar is a wonderful guide to FEA and the people you may need to reach. As Area Director for the Heidelberg and Isles districts, as well as our members in Cuba, my office is in Wiesbaden, Germany (Country Code 49). I have two direct phone lines in my office: 0611-44756131 is the cordless one I use if I need to be elsewhere in the building....0611-44756234 is the Tel/Fax/Answering Machine. You can also contact me by using DSN 337-6251, but that is the Middle School office and they will have to connect you. Outlook is the easiest way to reach me.
John Luchtman's (Area Director for the Bavaria and Kaiserslautern districts, as well as members in the Med) numbers are as follows: DSN/Civ 09721-96-6844, 354-6844, Civ. 09721-4758012. The answering/fax machine is in John's home and it is 09725-5372. Since that machine is at his home, messages during the day will be answered shortly after John returns home.
For contacting FEA in Washington, use the following addresses:
FEAAdmin@nea.org (use to contact Connie Shanaghan, Barbara Wright, Gary Hritz, and Nereyda Jones and questions regarding transfers, membership, etc.).
FEALegal@nea.org (use to contact HT Nguyen, Richard Tarr, and Patricia Weil).
FEAPresident@nea.org (use to contact Michael Priser, FEA President).
JFreeman@nea.org (use to contact Jan Freeman)
BFreeman@nea.org (use to contact Bill Freeman concerning pay issues, etc.)
Sequitta.Banks@verizon.net (use to contact Sequitta Banks. NOTE Sequitta does not use the NEA email system)
If you need to send information to our UniServ Attorneys, please remember that they work remotely and that large electronic files often shut down their systems. Please do NOT send them lengthy email files unless they specifically request them. Normally you can send them a short email and they will advise you to send things by mail, fax, etc. Sequitta Banks is our UniServ for Bavaria and Kaiserslautern. Jan Freeman is the UniServ attorney for Heidelberg, the Isles, and our members in Cuba. Bill Freeman handles pay problems/cases for all FEA members in Europe. Phone and fax numbers as well as mailing addresses for our UniServs are in your pocket calendars.
Contact Information for your District Reps and HCR Reps are also in the calendar.
3. Contacting YOU - Please make sure that we have the current FRS/FR's at your school on our mailing list so that our information can be shared quickly. FEA Europe makes every effort to get out accurate and important information as quickly as possible. John and I will alternate sending out updates, normally on Wednesday each week. We will continue to update our mailing lists as corrections come in. Send all corrections, additions, and new names to your area director as well as Linda Shahan on Outlook.
4. FRS Training Schedule and Information - For your planning purposes, the FRS Training dates are as follows:
Isles (England schools) Friday, Sept 11; Bavaria, Monday, Sept 14; Kaiserslautern, Tuesday, Sept 15; Heidelberg and the Isles schools "on the continent" Wednesday, Sept 16 (Both the Heidelberg and Isles District Reps will be participating in this training.) Further information about times and locations will be sent out very shortly.
The European Area Council will meet Sept 17 and 18 in Heidelberg.
FRS's: If you have not received your membership materials, please contact your District Rep. When processing members, please remember to ask for a non-DoDEA email address for your members.
5. Association Day! FEA Europe will be hosting an "Association Day" on Saturday, Sept 19th in Heidelberg. Plan now to attend to hear the latest news from FEA. Times and exact location will follow in future Updates.
6. Change in Payroll Dues Deductions: FEA members who wish to cancel your dues deductions for this school year must do so by September 1, 2009. You will need to submit form SF1188 (available from your school secretary) to Linda Shahan, FEA Europe Membership Processor, with a copy to their DoDDS Customer Service Rep at their DSO by September 1, 2009. Cancellations received after that date cannot be processed for SY 2009/2010. Please send by email via digital sender or mail to: Linda Shahan, CMR 419, Box 1566, APO AE 09102. Teachers transferring in from the Pacific need to make sure they fill out a new form SF 1187 if you want your deductions to continue here in Europe.
7. Save Your LES's, etc. - This is a good time of year to remember to SAVE your LES's, SF-50's, etc. relating to your pay. (Remember you can access your LES on line through MyPay and can even turn off the mailed copy of your LES.) With all the continuing pay problems in our system, it is a good idea to keep your documentation.
8. Available Resources - The FEA website is www.feaonline.org and has lots of information. For some portions of this site, you will need to have your membership number, which is on your membership card as well as your NEA Today, your FEA Journal, etc. Through the FEA website, you can sign up to have information sent directly to your email address. The NEA website is also a great source of information.
Currently available on our FEA website are some great resources for starting your school year off right.
9. Mandatory Trainings - Attached is the MOU which covers release time for the Privacy Act and other mandatory trainings. Such release time is normally coordinated within school complexes. If there are questions, please contact your District Rep.
10. Check the Dates - The beginning of the year is a good time to check the dates on all your important documents and papers...your ID card, passports, ration cards, base passes, drivers' licenses (here and stateside)...anything that may be expiring. Most of these are much easier to renew when they are still valid rather than having to reapply after they expire.
11. Good Wishes - As we begin this year, let me thank each one of you for the wonderful work you do with your students. One of the "perks" of my job is the chance to visit schools and see our teachers at work. It is a pleasure and a privilege to work with such dedicated and caring teachers.
I wish you a happy and successful school year. Thanks for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel/Fax: 0611-44756234 or
0611-44756131 or DSN 337-6251