August 24, 2010 FEA Europe Update1. Welcome to SY 2010-11!
2. FEA Communication
3. Contacting YOU
4. FRS Training Dates
5. Change in Payroll Dues Deductions
6. Save Your LES's, etc.
7. Available Resources
8. FEA Journal
9. Mandatory Trainings
10. Check the Dates
11. Good Wishes
1. Welcome to School Year 2010-11! - For those of you returning to DoDDS-E, I hope you had a refreshing and enjoyable summer, and wish you a great new school year. For those of you new to Europe, let me welcome you and wish you all the best as you begin your first year in DoDDS-E. FEA is ready to assist you in any way possible.
2. FEA Communication - Your handy-dandy pocket FEA calendar is a wonderful guide to FEA and the people you may need to reach. As Area Director for the Heidelberg and Isles districts, as well as our members in Cuba, my office is in Wiesbaden, Germany (Country Code 49). I have two direct phone lines in my office: 0611- 44756131 is the cordless one I use if I need to be elsewhere in the building....0611- 44756234 is the Tel/Fax/Answering Machine. You can also contact me by using DSN 335-5373/69, but that is the Middle School office and they will have to connect you. Outlook is the easiest way to reach me.
Alex Veto (Area Director for the Bavaria and Kaiserslautern districts, as well as members in the Med) currently does not have an office number. Please use Outlook or his cell phone number, 0160 - 2388051. We will let you know when other numbers are available.
For contacting FEA in Washington, use the following addresses:
FEAAdmin@nea.org (use to contact Connie Shanaghan, Barbara Wright, Gary Hritz, and Nereyda Jones and questions regarding transfers, membership, etc.)
FEALegal@nea.org (use to contact HT Nguyen, Richard Tarr, and Patricia Weil)
FEAPresident@nea.org (use to contact Michael Priser, FEA President)
JFreeman@nea.org (use to contact Jan Freeman)
BFreeman@nea.org (use to contact Bill Freeman concerning pay issues, etc.)
Sequitta.Banks@verizon.net (use to contact Sequitta Banks. NOTE: Sequitta does not use the NEA email system)
If you need to send information to our UniServ Attorneys, please remember that they work remotely and that large electronic files often shut down their systems. Please do NOT send them lengthy email files unless they specifically request them. Normally you can send them a short email and they will advise you to send things by mail, fax, etc. Sequitta Banks is our UniServ for Bavaria and Kaiserslautern. Jan Freeman is the UniServ attorney for Heidelberg, the Isles, and our members in Cuba. Bill Freeman handles pay problems/cases for all FEA members in Europe. Phone and fax numbers as well as mailing addresses for our UniServs are in your pocket calendars.
Our District Reps are as follows: Bavaria, Terry McClain; Heidelberg, Nancy Almendras; Isles, Lisa Ali; Kaiserslautern, Terese Sarno. Our Human and Civil Rights Coordinator for Europe is Alina Rozanski. Contact Information for your District Reps and HCR Rep is also in the calendar.
If your school has NOT received your membership materials, please contact your District Rep or Area Director.
3. Contacting YOU - Please make sure that we have the current FRS/FR's at your school on our mailing lists so that our information can be shared quickly. FEA Europe makes every effort to get out accurate and important information as quickly as possible. Alex and I will alternate sending out Updates, normally on Wednesday each week. We will continue to update our mailing lists as corrections come in. Send all corrections, additions, deletions, and new names to your Area Director as well as Linda Shahan on Outlook.
4. FRS Training Dates - For your planning purposes, the FRS Contract Training Dates are as follows:
Friday Sept 10 - Isles (England Schools) (Training location TBA in the Lakenheath Complex)
Monday Sept 13 - Kaiserslautern (Training in Kaiserslautern)
Monday Sept 13 - Heidelberg (including Isles Schools on the continent) (Training in Wiesbaden)
Wednesday Sept 15 - Bavaria (Training in Nuremberg)
Thursday/Friday Sept 16,17 - The European Area Council will meet in Garmisch
Please note, the dates above are correct... there are two trainings scheduled on Sept 13.
The Contract language regarding the number of representatives for this training is attached.
5. Change in Payroll Dues Deductions - FEA members who wish to cancel or change your dues deductions for this school year must do so by September 1, 2010. You will need to submit form SF1188 (available from your school secretary) to Linda Shahan, FEA Europe Membership Processor, with a copy to their DoDDS Customer Service Rep at their DSO by September 1, 2010. Cancellations received after that date cannot be processed for SY 2010/2011. Please send by email via digital sender or mail to: Linda Shahan, CMR 419, Box 1566, APO AE 09102.
6. Save Your LES's, etc. - This is a good time of year to remember to SAVE your LES's, SF-50's, etc. relating to your pay. (Remember you can access your LES on line through MyPay and can even turn off the mailed copy of your LES.) With all the continuing pay problems in our system, it is a good idea to keep your documentation.
7. Available Resources - The FEA website is www.feaonline.org and has lots of information. For some portions of this site, you will need to have your membership number, which is on your membership card as well as your NEA Today, your FEA Journal, etc. Through the FEA website, you can sign up to have information sent directly to your email address. The NEA website (www.nea.org) is a great source of information and free resources as well. Also, don't forget NEA Member Benefits (www.neamb.com) and the NEA Health Information Network (www.neahin.org)
8. FEA Journal - The first edition of the FEA Journal for this year should have arrived in your mailbox already. This issue has lots of good information. It is a very busy time of the year, but please take a few minutes to read through it.
9. Mandatory Trainings - The list of required trainings and the MOU which provides for release time for these trainings are attached. Release time for these trainings is usually coordinated within school complexes.
10. Check the Dates - As we start a new year, it is a great time to check the dates on all your ID's, ration cards, driver's licenses, passports, etc. It is much easier to renew these in a timely manner than to find out that your ID, etc. has expired when you try to use it.
11. Good Wishes - As the old saying goes, the only thing constant is change, and we have certainly seen that in DoDEA. Two things that do not change are the commitment our teachers have to providing the best education possible for our students, and FEA's commitment to supporting you in that work.
As we begin this year, let me thank each one of you for the wonderful work you do with your students. One of the "perks" of my job is the chance to visit schools and see our teachers at work. It is a pleasure and a privilege to work with such dedicated and caring teachers. I wish you a very happy and successful school year, and I look forward to working with our members and our FEA leadership. Please let us know, through your local leadership, how FEA can support you.
Thanks for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
0611-44756131 or DSN 335-5373/69