August 22 2012 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back !
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. American Foreign Services
4. Beginning of Year Tips
5. Pay Organizer
6. FRS Training Dates
7. Administrator Placements
8. Mark Your Calendars
9. FEA Leadership
11. Labor Day September 3
12. Presidential Award
13. September 11 - Anniversary of 9/11
14. Association Day
15. Membership Information
1. Welcome Back -- Let me take a moment to welcome back all new and returning teachers and staff. It is hard to believe that the summer passed so quickly, but if things continue the way that they have been we will be talking about winter break before you know it. There have been many changes, some in administration as you can see from #7 below, and some with all of the new teachers who are joining us in Europe this year. This year we begin without a school with the word ‘Mannheim' in the title for the first time in my memory. Some schools are drawing down while others are already beginning to report that they may well go over projection. All in all it will be another interesting and challenging year. Armed with the fact that I know the quality of people who are reading this I am certain that it will also be a productive year filled with rewards. Again, Welcome Back !
2. Area Directors' Travels -- September will be a very busy month for the both of us. This year our FRS training has expanded to two days in each district as you can see on the chart below. There is a also the EAC in England. That said, we will both be scheduling school visits very soon, and as for me especially to those places I was unable to visit last year.
3. American Foreign Services -- The American Foreign Services Protective Association will be traveling through Europe in the coming months to give presentations on the various insurance packages that they offer. While this is a very good company please be aware that there are other quality insurers that also will be visiting during the year. FEA will alert you when we get their plans. Attached is the schedule of visits for the AFSPA.4. Beginning of Year Tips -- With school about to begin this might be a good idea to take a glance at NEA's Back to School Guide. It has great tips for getting the year off to productive start, with articles on everything from opening day activities to shortcuts for remembering the names of all the new students. You can access it here.
5. Pay Organizer -- Attached you will find an electronic version of the Pay Organizer for SY 2012/13. It is a very valuable tool and has helped with the resolution of some pay problems. I want to thank Larry Tjeltveit of Shape ES for his work on this and for sharing !!
6. FRS Training Dates -- The following are the dates of FRS training next month. Please note that there will be two days, one being a joint training with Administration. District Representatives are in the process now of sending out additional information.
|FRS Training||Joint Training|
|Bavaria||13 Sept||14 Sept|
|Heidelberg||11 Sept||10 Sept|
|Isles||19 Sept||18 Sept|
|Kaiserslautern||10 Sept||11 Sept|
7. Administrator Placements -- Attached is the listing for the most current administrator placements as of August 20. There are still a few vacancies.
8. Mark Your Calendars --
August 27 -- First Day of School
September 3 -- Labor Day
September 11 -- Anniversary of 9/11
September 19-21 -- EAC (England)
September 22 -- Association Day (see attached)
9. FEA Leadership - The District Representatives and other FEA leaders for Europe for SY 12-13 are as follows:
- Bavaria, Terry McClain
- Heidelberg, Nancy Almendras
- Isles, Anita Lang
- Kaiserslautern, Terese Sarno
- Alex Veto is the Area Director for Bavaria, Kaiserslautern and the Med
- Lisa Garmon Ali is the Area Director for Heidelberg, the Isles, and Cuba
10. Update -- This is my first Update for SY 12/13. What happened to the summer ? Lisa will be along next week with her first Update. In September there might be a little disruption to the Update schedule due to the travels noted in number 2. Please know that if there is any breaking news that we will get it out immediately and also to check in regularly to www.feaonline.org
11. Labor Day September 3 - Labor Day honors the American worker and acknowledges the value and dignity of work and its role in American life. Labor Day was first celebrated on September 5, 1882, in New York, and continued to be celebrated until June 28, 1894, when Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday. Learn more at the Department of Labor website (And Labor Day is a DoDDS teachers' best friend !)
12. Presidential Award -- This news came out just as school was ending last June so while many of you may have seen it many others probably did not. Any time one of our own receives the Presidential award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching I think it bears repeating. Congratulations again to Spencer Bean of Baumholder HS !
13. September 11 - Anniversary of 9/11 - On September 11, 2001, four U.S. planes hijacked by terrorists intentionally crashed two commercial airliners into the World Trade Center buildings in New York City, killing everyone on board and many others working in the buildings. The hijackers crashed a third airliner into the Pentagon, just outside Washington, D.C. The fourth plane crashed into a field near Shanksville in rural Pennsylvania after some of its passengers and flight crew attempted to retake control of the plane, which the hijackers had redirected toward Washington, D.C. There were no survivors from any of the flights. To see a record of those who died, visit September 11: A Memorial.
14. Association Day - Association day will be held this year near Lakenheath, England, on Saturday September 22. There will be many guest speakers and breakfast will be served. The POC for this event is Anita Lang . See the attached flyer for further details on this worthwhile event.
15. Membership Information -- Membership information has been sent from FEA Washington during the summer to either the FRS or the Membership Chairperson at each school. If your school has not received this information please contact your respective District Rep and/or Area Director.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051