June 8, 2011 FEA Europe Report1. Update Distribution
2. Annual Meeting
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. ESSO Link
5. Summer Reading
6. Speaking of the Summer
7. Membership Information
8. PSCD Home Visits
9. TSP Information
10. Local Elections
11. Mark Your Calendars
12. No Explanation Needed
15. Administrative Moves
1. Update Distribution - Thank you to the 10-11 SY FRSs and distribution persons at each school for having forwarded FEA Europe's weekly Updates!
2.Annual Meeting - Please check out www.feaonline.org for information on attending the FEA Annual Meeting, held in conjunction with the NEA Representative Assembly, on June 29 and 30 in Chicago. Please stop by if you'll be in the area around that time.
3. Area Directors' Travels -- Chuck will attending closing ceremonies in Mannheim on June 11. At this point I have no further travels planned but that is, as always, subject to change.
4. ESSO Link:- For those planning on traveling by auto through Europe this summer the following link could prove very helpful. It is in English and has a route finder function as well as a listing for different types of ESSO stations. (Don't forget to keep an eye on the expiration date on your fuel card.) Esso link
5. Summer Reading - We will have many new FRS's and FR's for next year, along with a large number of members who are interested in one day becoming a leader in FEA. For them I offer up some choice summer reading -- enjoy !! The Negotiated Agreement (and MOU's) can be found on http://www.feaonline.org/passport/legal/fea_dodds.htm
6. Speaking of the Summer - Your FEA leaders and UniServs are on leave as well. Chuck, Lisa and I will check our email account periodically as we travel but there may be some delays in response. The FEA office in Washington, D.C. will be open on a summer schedule: 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. More information for the FEA Washington Office is in your calendar. The NEA office building is closed on Friday's during the summer starting Friday July 8th through September 2. Since our offices are in the NEA building the FEA office will be closed then too.
7. Membership information -- Membership information will be sent from FEA Washington during the summer to either the FRS or the Membership Chairperson. Please make sure our Washington office has your correct CMR mailing address.
8. PSCD Home Visits - Attached is the MOU covering home visits for the PSCD teacher at the beginning of the school year.
9. TSP Information - The TSP updates its monthly rates of return here : Rates of Return You do not have to log in to access this information.
10. Local Elections -- Please remember to let your Area Director and District Rep know the results of your local elections for FRS and other officers. This helps us to prepare our mailing and distribution lists for next school year. We will be contacting new FRS's and officers for their correct contact information. (This is a repeat. We still have not heard from many schools.)
11. Mark Your Calendars --
June 2 -- Area JCC
June 14 -- Flag Day
June 17 -- Last Day of School (and my 60th birthday. What a pleasant coincidence!)
June 19 -- Father's Day
June 29/30 -- FEA Annual Meeting, Chicago
June 30 -- July 5 -- NEA Representative Assembly, Chicago
12. No Explanation Needed - http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?msg=End+of+SY+10%2F11&month=06&day=17&year=2011&hour=15&min=00&sec=00&p0=83
13. Update - The next (and final for this year) Update will be published on or about Wednesday, June 15.
14. TDY - FEA has heard concerns about payments for TDY's in the last few months. If you have an outstanding TDY payment which you have not received, please contact your local DTA for assistance.
Kaiserslautern: Larry Farlin -- DTS-KAIS@EU.DODEA.EDU
Heidelberg: Delicia Loney -- DTS-HEID@EU.DODEA.EDU
Bavaria: Roza Dye -- DTS-BAV@EU.DODEA.EDU
Mediterranean: Yira Somera --DTS-MED@EU.DODEA.EDU
Isles: Jennifer Exline -- DTS-ISLES@EU.DODEA.EDU
Area Office: Pamela Mann -- DTS_AREA@EU.DODEA.EDU
15. Administrative Moves -- Attached is the current list of administrative moves and reported vacancies for SY 11/12.
16. With Gratitude -- This will be my final Update for this school year. That being the case I wish to express my gratitude to so many of you for all the help and assistance you have given me during the year. I thank our FEA officers and the Board of Directors, H.T. Nguyen, and the entire HQ staff.
I also owe much to my fellow members on the European Area Council (Chuck McCarter, Alina Rozanski, Terese Sarno, Nancy Almendras, Lisa Ali, and Terry McClain). We have wonderful HCR persons all over Europe and we all owe them a hearty thank you for the work that they have done this year. Also, all of our Europe Uniservs: Sequitta Banks, Jan Freeman, and Bill Freeman.
I mentioned them earlier but I would again like to recognize Terese Sarno and Terry McClain, the two District Representatives that I work with directly, for their support and tireless efforts for all of our members.
This job would have been impossible for me to do this year without Chuck McCarter and the Uniserv that I work directly with, Sequitta Banks. Chuck at times found himself doing two jobs as he tried to bring me up to speed. I regret that he will be leaving office and taking all that experience with him, but he has assured me that he will only be a phone call away if I need help. Sequitta and I have been on a long adventure this year with many ‘interesting' challenges. I looked forward to our almost daily phone calls because her legal mind and common sense helped me get a proper perspective on so many difficult issues. Next year I look forward to working with the new Area Director, Lisa Ali.
I want to thank my wife Priscilla for allowing me to serve in this position even though I tended to bring many of the issues home with me and for understanding when I needed to be away for days on end.
Finally, for a reason, I want to thank and applaud every FRS and FR who is out there in the schools working for our members. You see a lot of lip service on this topic but I say it from the heart when I call them the true backbone of FEA. None of the people I mentioned above (including me) could do much of anything if not for these people. Thank you on behalf of all our members and especially from me for all of your hard work.
Now I want to wish you all a safe, relaxing, and enjoyable break. You all deserve it.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051