June 7 2012 FEA Europe Update1. Principal Placements
2. Area Directors' Travels
4. Sound Familiar ?
6. FRS Training Dates
7. Speaking of the Summer
8. Mark Your Calendars
9. Travel Voucher
12. HCR Workshop
13. Summer Reading
14. With Gratitude
15. iPad App (just for fun)
1. Principal Placements -- Principal reassignments and appointments are still being finalized but as you can see they are nearly completed.. Attached is the most current list provided by the Area office. It is as of June 5. They are also currently working on any possible moves at the DSO level.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- At this point I anticipate that my travels are over for this school year. (But you never know !) I will be spending the next week staying on top of email and trying to get my office and all files in order for the summer. I would imagine it will be much the same for Lisa. I visited a large number of schools this year but regret that I was unable to make it to all. If I missed you this year you are on top of the list for next. Some schools needed a little extra attention this year due to draw downs and proposed closures. I owe a special apology to Garmisch as for the second year in a row I failed to get down there. (Garmisch being Terry McClain's school I don't worry about it -- too much !) Maybe I will spend the whole first quarter there next year !
3. Graduation -- Our high schools here in Europe will be conducting their commencement exercises in the course of the next week. For those who are interested and did not see the announcement that came out through DoDDS, attached is the schedule of graduations and a link to watch these online.
4. Sound Familiar ? -- While this article (attached) is based on teachers in Chicago, I sure thinks it looks familiar to many of our DoDEA teachers !
5. Unity -- The final edition of the Unity for SY 11/12 is now in the mail. You should receive it shortly.
6. FRS Training Dates -- The following are the dates of FRS training in the fall. Please note that there will be two days, one being a joint training with Administration. There will be more information when we get back in August.
|FRS Training||Joint Training|
7. Speaking of the Summer -- Please keep this information in mind. Your FEA leaders and UniServs will also be on leave as well this summer. Lisa and I will check our email account periodically as we travel but there may be some delays in response. I will also send out to FRS's a phone number where I can be reached while in the States. The FEA office in Washington, D.C. will be open on a summer schedule: 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. More information for the FEA Washington Office is in your calendar. The NEA office building is closed on Friday's during the summer starting Friday July 6th through August 31. Since our offices are in the NEA building the FEA office will be closed then too.
8. Mark Your Calendars --
June 14 -- Flag Day
June 15 -- Last Duty Day
June 17 -- Father's Day ( and my birthday !)
June 29 -- 30 FEA Annual Membership Meeting Washington D.C.
9. Travel Voucher -- Attached is the most current electronic copy of the travel voucher that those of you using RAT will need on your return to Europe.
10. Update -- This is my final Update for SY 11/12. Amazing ! I feel like I just finished the first one. Lisa will have one more next week, and I will return on August 22, but let's not rush it ! Please know that if there is any breaking news that we will get it out immediately, and also keep in mind, especially in the summer, to check in regularly to www.feaonline.org
11. Reminder -- Just this past Tuesday, while in Wiesbaden, an alert and courteous gate guard alerted me to the fact that my ID card was expiring this Friday, I have since taken care of that but as a result I started checking expiration dates on everything: drivers license (both here and the States), fuel card, passport, etc. I have a few other things that I better take care of soon. Before you leave here for summer please take a moment and check your expiration dates. I would hate to see you inconvenienced on your return. Time flies by on these things !
12. HCR Workshop - Tamara Hamilton: Balancing Boulders: Strategies for Excellence in Life and Careers
In conjunction with the FEA Human and Civil Rights Coordinator and the European HCR program, the Kaiserslautern Area Education Association (KAEA) , is sponsoring a week-end workshop with Tamara Hamilton in November. This will be the third workshop that KAEA has collaborated on with Tamara Hamilton in the Quality in Education and Strategic Leadership Development series. Tamara's last workshop, Juggling Elephants was a huge success, so don't miss this one!
POC: Terese M. Sarno, FEA Kaiserslautern District Representative
Location : Bistro "21" in the Kaiserslautern Rathaus/City Hall (21st Floor),
Willy-Brandt Platz, 1, Kaiserslautern
Dates: 3-4 November 2012, Saturday and Sunday
Times: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Participation is limited. Reserve early. Registration fee must accompany your request.
Please send your registration fee to Terese Sarno, PSC 2-Box 8695, APO AE 09012
One graduate credit has already been approved.
13. Summer Reading - We will have many new FRS's and FR's for next year, along with a large number of members who are interested in one day becoming a leader in FEA. For them I offer up some choice summer reading -- enjoy !! The Negotiated Agreement (and MOU's) can be found on http://www.feaonline.org/passport/legal/fea_dodds.htm
14. With Gratitude -- This will be my final Update for this school year. That being the case I wish to express my gratitude to so many of you for all the help and assistance you have given me during the year. I thank our FEA officers and the Board of Directors, H.T. Nguyen, and the entire HQ staff.
I also owe much to my fellow members on the European Area Council (Lisa Ali, Alina Rozanski, Terese Sarno, Nancy Almendras, Anita Lang,, and Terry McClain). We have wonderful HCR persons all over Europe and we all owe them a hearty thank you for the work that they have done this year. Also, all of our Europe Uniservs: Sequitta Banks, Jan Freeman, and Bill Freeman.
I mentioned them earlier but I would again like to recognize Terese Sarno and Terry McClain, the two District Representatives that I work with directly, for their support and tireless efforts for all of our members. We have a great team !
This job would have been impossible for me to do this year without Lisa Ali, my counterpart as Area Director. She stepped right in like she'd been there before and has been an asset to her members and certainly to me.
I want to thank my wife Priscilla for allowing me to serve in this position even though I tended to bring many of the issues home with me and for understanding when I needed to be away for days on end.
Finally, for a reason, I want to thank and applaud every FRS and FR who is out there in the schools working for our members. You see a lot of lip service on this topic but I say it from the heart when I call them the true backbone of FEA. None of the people I mentioned above (including me) could do much of anything if not for these people. Thank you on behalf of all our members and especially from me for all of your hard work.
I would also like to take a second and thank all the hardworking people at the Area office. There were always willing to take the time to get answers to whatever question Lisa and I brought their way. I think they are very overlooked.
Finally, for everybody who receives this Update, thank you for what you do in whatever capacity you serve. Our students appreciate it and so do ! !
15. iPad App (just for fun) -- And absolutely the final item; watch it at home and turn up the speakers. For those of you who either already have an iPhone or iPad or are thinking of buying one, here is an App that I think could prove useful during the hot summer months. Another feat of German engineering ! http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6a8Eimr-fm0
Have a truly great and restful summer !!!!
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051