June 14, 2017, FEA Europe Update
1. Association Day
2. Area Directors' Travels
4. Summer Contact
5. Mark Your Calendar
6. Speaking of Summer
7. Weingarten Rights
9. Final Word
1. Association Day -- The next Association Day event for all European FEA members will be held in Kaiserslautern at the Fritz-Walter FCK Stadium on September 13 at 1700 CET. Details of the event will follow as it gets closer but you might want to put this on your calendar now. It is always a very special event.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- My next and last travel as Area Director will be to the FEA Board of Director's meeting held in conjunction with the NEA RA in Boston during the last week of June.
3. Update- This is my final Update for this year. They will begin again next August. The newly elected Europe Area Director Terry McClain will provide more details at that time.
4. Summer Contact -- I will remain in office as one of the current two Europe Area Directors until after the BoD meeting the first week in July. If you need me, contact me at this email I cannot promise that I will always have access to Outlook through the CAC reader. If you need to speak with me, simply email me with a good number and times and I will call.
5. Mark Your Calendar-
June 14 -- Flag Day
June 16 -- Last Duty Day
June 17 -- My Birthday ☺
June 18 -- Father's Day
6. Speaking of the Summer -- Please keep this information in mind. Your FEA leaders and UniServs will also be on leave as well this summer. I will check our email account periodically as I travel but there may be some delays in response. I will also send out to FRS's a phone number where I can be reached while in the States. The FEA office in Washington, D.C. will be open on a summer schedule: 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. More information for the FEA Washington Office is in your calendar. The NEA office building is closed on Friday's during the summer starting Friday July 14th through September 1. Since our offices are in the NEA building the FEA office will be closed then too.
7. Weingarten Rights -- This, unfortunately, is the time of the year when child abuse allegations reach a peak. These can be leveled at any one, not just teachers, who are in contact with children. Should you be accused it is imperative that you invoke your Weingarten Rights. Weingarten Rights guarantee an employee the right to union representation during an investigatory interview by an employer. If the interview could in any way lead to the employee being disciplined or terminated or affect his or her personal or working conditions, he or she should respectfully request that a union representative or officer be present at the meeting. Without representation, the employee may choose not to answer any questions. On the inside cover of the FEA calendar there is a card detailing what you must do. I hope none of us ever need it.
8. Enjoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8j3NAA0uis The kids like it too!!
9. Final Word -- It is hard for me to believe but this is my last Update for this school year. Beyond that, it is even harder to believe that this is the absolute final one after 7 years in office as an Area Director. Time has gone by so quickly that it does not even seem possible. During those 7 years I have met so many of you and in some cases many of you have become trusted friends. I certainly hope that I can stay in touch with all of you in one way or another. Also during my term I experienced some failures and some successes, some ups and downs, some jubilation and some disappointment. One thing for sure though is that it was never dull! Each year I try to thank everyone for all the help that they have been to me, to FEA, and of course to our schools and students. Each year I end up missing someone so this year I will keep it simple -- if you are reading this then thank you for all that you have done for all the stakeholders, whether past or present. If you are returning, then hopefully our paths will cross again.I will be hanging around for one final year. If you are moving on to other pastures, then I will think of all of you fondly and wish you all the best that the world has to offer. Finally, I hope that over the years that these Updates have given you some enjoyment but mostly some useful information. For me they were a labor of love!
Have a GREAT Summer !!!
FEA Europe Area Director