May 8 2019 FEA Europe Update
8 May 2019
1. Retirement Info
2. Retirement Certificates
3. Good Bye Grievance
4. Teacher Appreciation Video
5. FRS Elections Info
6. Weingarten Rights Info
7. School Nurse's Day
8. Mark Your Calendar
9. DPMAP Info
10. Local Rebate Info
11. Area Director's Travels
1. Retirement Info -- To start working on your retirement application, please log into EBIS using a CAC enabled computer and click on "eretirement".
You will answer a series of questions and click the submit button, once you click on submit, it doesn't send your packet anywhere but it does generate your official retirement forms in PDF format for you to print, sign and mail to ABC for processing.
Mailing address for retirement packages:
Army Benefits Center -- Civilian
305 Marshall Ave
Fort Riley, KS 66442-7005
If you would like a retirement estimate, please log into EBIS and click on "HR link" and follow the prompts in making your estimate request.
Additional contact information for the Army Benefits Center (ABC) is as follows: Army Benefits Center - Civilian (ABC-C): https://www.abc.army.mil
ABC Benefits Inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
This comes from DoDEA, and should all be in working order. It may be you need to cut and paste the links in order for them to work. Thank you to our friend and colleague Melanie Horton Area Director in the PAC.
2. FEA Retirement Certificates -- If you or someone you know is retiring this year and they are a member, FEA can provide a retirement certificate. You will need to get this information to your division rep by May 11 in order to get the certificate to them so do not delay.
3. Good Bye Grievance - If you are an Overseas employee who is resigning/retiring or moving to a bargaining unit outside of FEA's Overseas bargaining unit, please remember to file and elevate your "Goodbye Grievance" before your last duty day. While it will be denied at every level it's given to, this will invoke your rights and allow FEA to represent you after you are no longer in the FEA Overseas bargaining unit.
4. Teacher Appreciation Week -- It is Teacher Appreciation Week, and FEA hopes you are all getting all the good Karma you deserve! If you have time and would like a good laugh, here is a short video that may make you laugh! You are appreciated! View the video here.
5. FRS Elections - It is the time of year (usually late April in to May) when schools will be choosing their Faculty Representative Spokesperson for SY 19/20. This is a very important task and I hope that all schools will do all they can to run open, fair and transparent elections. Current FRS's have been provided with the SOP for such elections that was adopted by the EAC. Please note that most of what is in the SOP are recommendations as the election of a FRS is a very local matter.
6. Weingarten Rights -- This, unfortunately, is the time of the year when child abuse allegations reach a peak. These can be leveled at any one, not just teachers, who are in contact with children. Should you be accused it is imperative that you invoke your Weingarten Rights. Weingarten Rights guarantee an employee the right to union representation during an investigatory interview by an employer. If the interview could in any way lead to the employee being disciplined or terminated or affect his or her personal or working conditions, he or she should respectfully request that a union representative or officer be present at the meeting. Without representation, the employee may choose not to answer any questions. On the inside cover of the FEA calendar there is a card detailing what you must do. I hope none of us ever need it.
7. School Nurse Day -- Wednesday, May 8, is National School Nurse Day. School nurses work to promote health and provide the best care possible to students and their families. Take time on this day to look at the difference school nurses make in our schools. On a personal note, I would like to thank all our dedicated nurses for their hard work and patience in dealing with our students (and teachers)! They look after us as well!
8. Mark Your Calendar
May 8 -- School Nurses Day
May 10 -- Military Spouse Appreciation Day
May 12 -- Mother's Day
May 20-25 -- European Championships for Soccer, Softball, Baseball, and Track (Ramstein/Kaiserslautern)
May 27 -- Memorial Day
May1-31 - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
May 1-31 - Jewish American Heritage Month
9. DPMAP Evaluation --An arbitrator sided with FEA recently in a grievance over DoDEA's illegal implementation of the Defense Performance Management and Appraisal Program (DPMAP, also known as "New Beginnings") in our Overseas bargaining unit in 2018. The arbitrator ruled DoDEA's actions violated applicable laws and our Overseas Negotiated Agreement by disregarding a Memorandum of Understanding between FEA and management that designated the Educator Performance Appraisal System (EPAS) as the appraisal system of record for the Overseas bargaining unit. The arbitrator ordered DoDEA to reinstate EPAS and to make whole any adversely affected bargaining unit members. However, please understand that this can be appealed and most likely will be. Therefore we are still under the DPMAP system until all appeals are exhausted or a new system is negotiated.
10. Local Rebates -- Brandy Davis, our FEA Europe Membership Processor will be sending out rebate notices to all FEA Europe Area local associations. I want to personally thank Brandy for all of her hard work and efficiency in doing this as well as all the duties this SY. If your local EA has not yet heard from Brandy in the coming weeks you should contact her.
11. Area Director's Travels -- I am traveling to the great schools of Baumholder, Vogelweh and Kaiserslautern ES 13-17 May as well as the last JCC with Dr. McMullen on 15 May. However, you can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's up.