May 4, 2011 FEA Europe Update1. EAC and Association Day
2. Monthly Observances
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. National School Nurse Day
5. Transfer Program
7. Isles District Representative
8. Heidelberg HCR
9. Salary Schedules
10. Summer Reading
11. Mark Your Calendars
12. Election Results
13. Summer Travel Comfort
14. Presidential Excellence Awards
1. EAC and Association Day -- This past week the FEA European Area Council met in Wiesbaden for their spring meeting. On Saturday Association Day was held. It was good to see so many members come out to take part. Guest speakers included Michael Priser, FEA President; H.T. Nguyen, FEA Executive Director; Jan and Bill Freeman ,UniServ Directors, and a special guest provided by NEA, Jerry Newberry. It was a productive day for all.
2. Monthly Observances -- There are two groups being honored this month. May is Asian -- Pacific American Heritage Month as well as Jewish American Heritage Month. Links to the history of these two observances as well as useful tools for the classroom can be found in the attachments above. Also note that May 5 is Cinco de Mayo
3. Area Directors' Travels -- Thursday and Friday of this week Chuck will be visiting the Heidelberg schools. Next week he will be in England. We both will be in Wiesbaden on May 13 for the next Area JCC. I will be staying close to home until that time.
4. National School Nurse Day -- May 11 is National School Nurse Day. This is a good time to say thank you to some of the hardest workers in our schools. This group of caring professionals are indispensable to our students and staff. More information is attached above.
5. Transfer Program -- All transfer notifications have been sent out and there will be no second round to this year's transfer program. There are five excess educators who have not yet received placements and several more who have requested reconsideration. FEA members who were placed as excess and requested reconsideration can send us their names at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can verify that DoDDS has included them on the reconsideration list. If you are aware of any new, full-time vacancies that have recently become available at your school due to resignations or retirements, please notify us at email@example.com. (from the Presidents Report)
6. FLTCIP - The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides long term care insurance for its enrollees, who are Federal and U.S. Postal Service employees and annuitants, active and retired members of the uniformed services, and their qualified relatives. The Open Season runs until June 24. On May 10 there is a webinar being held online to address questions. Please see the attachment above for more information.
7. Isles District Representative -- As a result of the recent elections, FEA now has a vacancy for the remaining one year of the two year term for Isles District Representative. Applications will be sent out through the Isles FRS's later this week. In accordance with past practice, the EAC will make a selection from the subsequent list of qualified candidates.
8. Heidelberg HCR -- As a result of a transfer, there is now a vacancy for the remaining one year of the two year term for the Heidelberg District HCR Coordinator. Applications will be sent out through the Heidelberg FRS's later this week. In accordance with past practice, the EAC will make a selection from the subsequent list of qualified candidates.
9. Salary Schedules -- Attached is the new salary schedule for SY 10-11. It is easy to read and you can quickly determine the amount of your actual raise along with the percentage that it represents. Retro pay should be in checks within the next few weeks.
10. Summer Reading -- For those of you planning on curling up with a good book this summer, you might be interested in Project READ from the University of San Diego. With recertification credits sometimes hard to find, this program, designed specifically for DoDEA educators, can provide an opportunity to earn a graduate credit while enjoying a good book at the same time. You can find information here.
11. Mark Your Calendars --
May 5 -- Cinco de Mayo
May 8 -- Mother's Day
May 11 -- National School Nurse Day
May 21 -- Armed Forces Day
May 30 -- Memorial Day
12. Election Results -- The results of the recent elections for Area Directors can now be viewed at www.feaonline.org .
13. Summer Travel Comfort -- Most of us will be flying this summer, if not back to the States then somewhere else in the world for vacation. The site that is included here is perfect for making sure that your flight is as comfortable as possible. It has detailed charts of every plane that every airline flies with an interactive component that allows you to see the pros and cons of every seat. Worth a look before you decide on your seat, especially considering how long some of our flights will be. Check out:www.seatguru.com
14. Presidential Excellence Awards - Math teacher Erika Meadows and science teacher Lisa Zimmerman, both FEA members from Hohenfels ES, were among 85 teachers President Barack Obama announced last month as recipients of the honor. The awards will be presented at a ceremony in Washington later this year. Congratulations to both ! (See attached)
15. Update - The next Update will come out on May 11.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051