May 27 2015 FEA Europe Update
2. Director Visits
3. Summer Reminders
4. Membership Information
5. Area JCC
7. Speaking of the Summer
8. FRS Elections
9. "Goodbye" Grievance
10. National Caribbean-American Month
11. Mark Your Calendar
12. Weingarten Rights
13. TSP Loans
14. Pay Increase
15. And Once Again …..
1. Restructuring -- Many of you were able to hear the news from Mr. Brady at a voluntary faculty meeting recently. FEA is still digesting the information and will be prepared to move forward and act on the new plans. I am sure that it will be a major topic of discussion at the BoD meeting in early July as well as the EAC meeting scheduled for September. If you missed the presentation for any reason you can find it at the attachment.
2. Director Visits -- Mr. Tom Brady, Director of DoDEA, is currently visiting schools in Europe. While his schedule could be subject to change what is below seems firm at the moment. To the degree possible, faculty/staff meetings are scheduled at each location.
Wednesday, May 27 -- Vilseck Area Schools
Thursday/Friday, May 28-30 -- EPTA/DoDDS- Europe Superintendents Meeting (Garmisch)
Monday, Jun1 -- Patch, Boeblingen
Tuesday, June 2 -- DoDDS-E, Sembach ES, Sembach MS
Wednesday, June 3 -- Wiesbaden Schools
3. Summer Reminders -- I was checking through my wallet the other day and noticed that my CAC/ID card was expiring on June 6. I took steps to take care of that, but as a result I started checking expiration dates on everything: driver's license (both here and the States), fuel card, passport, etc. I have a few other things that I also better take care of soon. Before you leave here for summer please take a moment and check your expiration dates. I would hate to see you inconvenienced on your return. Time flies by on these things!
4. Membership Information -- Membership information will be sent from FEA Washington during the summer to either the FRS or the Membership Chairperson. Please make sure our Washington office has your correct CMR mailing address. You can use the attached form.
5. Area JCC -- The Area JCC was held in Sembach on Wednesday, May 20 at 1100.We will publish the minutes as soon as they are finalized. The next JCC is tentatively scheduled for September 1.
6. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. My next and final Update for this SY is June 10.
7 Speaking of the Summer -- Please keep this information in mind. Your FEA leaders and UniServs will also be on leave as well this summer. Lisa and I will check our email account periodically as we travel but there may be some delays in response. I will also send out to FRS's a phone number where I can be reached while in the States. The FEA office in Washington, D.C. will be open on a summer schedule: 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. More information for the FEA Washington Office is in your calendar. The NEA office building is closed on Friday's during the summer starting Friday July 3rd through August 28. Since our offices are in the NEA building the FEA office will be closed then too.
8. FRS Elections -- Most schools have now elected their FRS for SY 15/16. If you have not, please do so quickly. Also, remember to send the names of the winners to your respective Division Representatives and Area Director.
9. "Goodbye" Grievance -- If you are planning on retiring or resigning this year, make sure you FILE and ELEVATE a goodbye grievance before your last duty day. It has also been recommended even if you are just switching to another Area. If your FRS does not have a copy of it, please contact your District Rep or Area Director. Also, keep it in a safe place and keep it forever. I could tell you horror stories from those who did not.
10. National Caribbean-American Heritage Month -- June is Caribbean-American Heritage Month. During this month we celebrate the ways that Caribbean-Americans have enriched our society and added to the strength of America. For more information visit the Caribbean American Heritage Month website here .
11. Mark Your Calendars --
June 1-30 -- National Caribbean-American Heritage Month
June 12 -- Last Duty Day
June 14 -- Flag Day
June 17 -- My Birthday J
June 21 -- Father's Day
12. Weingarten Rights -- This, unfortunately, is the time of the year when child abuse allegations reach a peak. These can be leveled at any one, not just teachers, who are in contact with children. Should you be accused it is imperative that you invoke your Weingarten Rights. Weingarten Rights guarantee an employee the right to union representation during an investigatory interview by an employer. If the interview could in any way lead to the employee being disciplined or terminated or affect his or her personal or working conditions, he or she should respectfully request that a union representative or officer be present at the meeting. Without representation, the employee may choose not to answer any questions. On the inside cover of the FEA calendar there is a card detailing what you must do. I hope none of us ever need it.
13. TSP Loans - Many of us have had or have TSP Loans. One critical thing you must do at this time is to file the Notification to TSP of Non Pay Status, TSP Form 41. This is filed through your local payroll person. If this is not filed, then for those on the 21 pay plan the agency will be trying to take payment when there is no pay. This can cause a number of problems. When you return to pay status make sure also that you restart your payments. You can find the form here.
14. Pay Increase -- The retroactive part of our salary increase should have been reflected in your LES for the pay day of May 22. If you do not see an increase in this check, please contact your salary POC. Thanks to all the hard work of so many, including our FEA/Washington staff, for helping get this raise accomplished.
15. And once again … - http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150612T15&p0=136
FEA Europe Area Director