May 27 2009 FEA Europe Update1. At this time of year, we often receive questions about grades and grade policies. Article 51, cited below, may be helpful!
ARTICLE 51 - PUPIL GRADES
A unit employee may establish his/her own grading system. In such cases, the unit employee is responsible for translating the grading system to the Employer's. The unit employee's record of grades shall contain a key for translating his/her system to the established grading system in use.
Students' grades may be requested for review and approval by the Employer before grade reports are distributed to students or parents.
In the event that any grade is challenged, the unit employee shall explain and justify the grade assigned.
If the Employer takes action to change a student's grade without the consent of the affected unit employee or directs the unit employee to change a grade, a written statement from the Employer shall be provided to the unit employee, stating that the change in grade and/or the passing or failing of the student was done at the discretion of the Employer.
2. Summer time is not a time to relax as a parent. Bnetsavvy.org has some interesting items to be aware of. I have provided a link concerning cyberspace and safe choices. You can use the link and delete the last section to the .org and move around their web site to see other suggestions. http://bnetsavvy.org/wp/summertime-in-cyberspace-helping-kids-make-safe-choices/
3. Retirement PowerPoint information attached: The retirement information attached is simply something a former HR sent to me before she retired. It is a good source of information but should not substitute for getting information directly from the HR specialists. I would use it as a guide not a substitute for information the Agency is supposed to supply.
4. Several members have asked about Retired ID cards from DoDEA. DoD took that possibility away from DoDEA but as of this past Dec. 2008 getting a DoD retired ID card is now possible again. The card is still subject to the Community Commander and what they will allow regarding access and privileges. The first link is for directions the second link is to find a place you can process your paperwork for a chipless retired ID card. I happened to be looking on a web site and found this information so I thought I would share beyond that I have no further information. There is a contact point on the document. http://www.rao-osan.com/e-letter/sup-docs/DoD_Civilian_Retiree_Card.pdf http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home The information about the Retired ID cards was in President Michael Priser's report March 9, 2009 as well.
5. Area Directors' Travel: Chuck will be out of his office most of this week, visiting schools at Menwith Hill and Alconbury. I will be out of his office May 27 to June 2nd, visiting Landstuhl E/MS, Ramstein IS, Ramstein HS, Grafenwoehr ES, Netzaberg ES and MS. Thank you to the local leaders who help us organize these visits, arrange meeting places, etc. Please forgive any delay in response to your e-mails during these travels. Your District Reps and UniServ Attorneys will be available.
6. Summer Web Access: Don't forget that you may want to access websites like TSP, EBIS, etc. while you are traveling this summer...make sure to have the web addresses as well as your password, PIN numbers, etc. available. But be sure to keep those safe and secure. Many of these are available through the DoDEA website (www.dodea.edu)
7. Final UPdate for School Year 08/09 will be June 10, 2009. Before we get in to the rush of the last couple weeks, I want to thank all members of FEA. This has not been an easy year at any level. I know FEA President Michael Priser has not only his share of problems to deal with, but he still made sure to get out to the schools. I believe, here in Europe we have made a concerted effort to visit the 81 schools and to offer some extra training. Again, thank you to those who gave up your free time to attend our Saturday trainings. We plan to continue this practice again next school year.
Thank you for your membership and support!
FEA Europe Area Director
Federal Education Association
Work 354-6844 Civ 09721-4758012
Home Fax/Answering machine 09725-5372