May 23 2018 FEA Pacific Update
May 23, 2018
1. RAT Travel and DTS info
2. Tax on PCS moves info
3. New Standards Survey
4. Pay Increase info
5. HCR Newsletter
6. FRS Elections
8. Dues information
9. Mark Your Calendar
10. Local Rebates
11. National Caribbean-American Heritage Month
12. Goodbye Grievance info/Stopping dues
13. Area Director's Travel
1. RAT Travel and DTS -- A new layer in order to get orders. There are essentially three steps to getting RAT/ED Travel orders now. 1. Apply in TOPS for orders, 2. Fill out the DTS Profile with SS, 3. Either purchase your own ticket, (beware of city pairs prices) or fill out the DTS reservation request form for DTS to purchase your tickets as many SATO offices will no longer make the reservations for teachers. We are still gathering more info and as we get it will forward it. The timing of beginning the new layer is about as bad as it could have been. More on the issue now is that DTS, once they have your DTS profile form, will issue a DD 1610 that gives the amount associated with your RAT/TOP's orders in boxes 20 a,b,c,d. This form with your orders can then be used at some SATO offices or with DTS (not as much flexibility), or to purchase your own tickets. Please be aware that purchasing your own tickets could result in a city pairs price which can be googled for the fare. Other things to know on the DTS profile form…..
1. The mailing address can be an APO (forms are now corrected and boxes should be fillable)
2. The residential address must be your European address
3. TOPS orders are used to generate the profile in DTS which then sends the profile fillable form
4. You will have separate DTS orders for your spouse and every dependent
5. You can have tickets reserved for you from CTO with your TOPS orders while you wait for your DTS orders.
6. The email for CTO/SATO to get tickets with the orders and dd-1610 should be sent to is here.
From the President's report about the 100lbs shipment allotted with RAT:
Three situations generally apply to the shipment of unaccompanied baggage in conjunction with RAT. Please read the following carefully to identify which of the following applies to your own situation, and how to resolve this issue.
If you are mailing/have mailed the 100 pounds per person of unaccompanied baggage, please make sure to include the mailing postage with receipts when submitting the vouchers for RAT travel reimbursement.
For those who will use TMO (instead of mailing) to pick-up and ship your unaccompanied baggage and have received RAT orders without specific funding for shipment of unaccompanied baggage, please send us an e-mail at FEALegal@nea.org, explaining your situation, so we can forward it on to the appropriate staff at DoDEA HQ to get you amended orders with fund citation.
For those who have not yet applied for RAT orders and plan to ship unaccompanied baggage through TMO, please use the following guidance provided by DoDEA in submitting your travel orders request. "In TOPS there is a section for comments where the employee can specify that they will be using the TMO for shipment of their 100lbs so the funding can be added prior to approval in TOPS."
If you should encounter any problems in following the above guidance, please contact the Washington Office on your email at FEALegal@nea.org. Thank you.
2. Info on Tax on PCS moves -- Last week, FEA sent out an update on a pair of issues: the taxing of moving costs and allowances for civilian employees and the White House's efforts to make massive cuts to federal retirement benefits. FEA and NEA continue to monitor these issues but there have been no significant developments since last week. We will inform our members of any changes. You can read that update from last week at www.feaonline.org.
3. New Standards -- As all members know recently you were asked to sign your new standards that will apply when the new evaluation system is implemented. (FEA has an association grievance about the new evaluation system) We would like to get any comments/differences you have or have seen about the new standards. If you click on the link provided here, there is a google form for you to leave comments just for FEA about any changes you have seen. It is completely anonymous and only FEA is collecting data, so we hope you will participate. The deadline is June 8 for participation.
4. Pay Increase -- The retroactive part of our salary increase should have been reflected in your LES for the pay day of May 18. If you do not see an increase in this check, please contact your salary POC. Thanks to all the hard work of so many, including our FEA/Washington staff, for helping get this raise accomplished.
5. HCR -- In this issue you will find information regarding: a Diversity in Hiring work group update, Ramadan, June LGBT Pride Month, ideas for preparing for next school year, and a link to previous newsletters. View the HCR newsletter here
6. FRS Elections - It is most likely you have chosen or are choosing your Faculty Representative Spokesperson for SY 18/19. This is a very important task and I hope that all schools will do all they can to run open, fair and transparent elections. Current FRS's have been provided with the SOP for such elections that was adopted by the EAC. Please note that most of what is in the SOP are recommendations as the election of a FRS is a very local matter. Once the election is completed please inform your division representative and the area director.
7. Good Luck -- Good Luck to all the schools participating in the DoDEA Europe Championships this weekend. The next update will have the results of as many as will fit on the pages.
8. Dues Information -- Dues for 18-19: As FEA has never been faced with as much litigation as now, it is imperative we are able to fund the litigation. Europe has the lowest of all dues in FEA. Therefore the dues will increase $6.80 per pay period for the approximate 4 months dues are taken. We would prefer not to increase dues, but we also cannot afford to stop the ongoing litigation to protect members rights.
9. Mark Your Calendar
May 1-31 - Jewish American Heritage Month
May 23-26 -- DoDEA Europe Championships for Soccer, Baseball, Track, Softball
May 28 -- Memorial Day
June 1-30 -- National Caribbean-American Heritage Month
June 14 -- Flag Day
June 15 -- Last Duty Day
10. Local Rebates -- Recently, John Crowe, our FEA Europe Membership Processor sent out rebate notices to all FEA Europe Area local associations. I want to personally thank John for all of his hard work and efficiency in doing this. If your local EA has not yet heard from John then you should contact him.
11. National Caribbean-American Heritage Month -- June is Caribbean-American Heritage Month. During this month we celebrate the ways that Caribbean-Americans have enriched our society and added to the strength of America. For more information visit the Caribbean American Heritage Month website.
12. "Goodbye" Grievance -- If you are planning on retiring or resigning this year, make sure you FILE and ELEVATE a goodbye grievance before your last duty day. It has also been recommended even if you are just switching to another area that is not a FEA area. If your FRS does not have a copy of it, please contact your District Rep or Area Director. Also, keep it in a safe place and keep it forever. Please be aware that NOW is the time to make sure that this is accomplished before the end of the year. Also if the above applies to you or you wish to stop dues please file the form dd-1187 with your secretary, John Crowe, and keep a copy for yourself. Please ensure you do this by 1 September.
13. Area Director's Travel -- I will be traveling to Washington D.C. for an arbitration hearing from 29 May to 2 June. If there is any ‘Breaking News' I will distribute it as quickly as possible. Visiting the FEA website at www.FEAonline.org will also give you up to the minute information.