May 22 2013 FEA Europe Update
22 May 2013
1. May JCC Minutes: Attached are minutes from the May Area JCC meeting.
2. Furloughs: Please continue to check www.feaonline.org, for the latest on the furlough situation. Please make sure to do this from your private, home computer.
3. Foreign Area Allowances: With so much movement in Europe, I am receiving lots of questions regarding allowances. I am including a link to overseas allowances that you may find helpful. Try this link or this one.
4. 21/26 Pay Periods Election: May 31st is the last day if you want to switch between 21/26 pay periods. I have attached the MOU covering this, as well as the form needed. Please submit this form to the personnel secretary at your school for processing. Bill Freeman, FEA UniServ, recommends that if you are currently receiving your pay over 26 pay periods, that you switch back to 21 pay periods before you retire. So, if you are planning to retire within the next year, this is your only opportunity to make this switch. Remember, you cannot submit the form after May 31st, so do not leave it too late.
5. Retirement Articles: I have attached articles from www.myfederalretirement.com, regarding maximizing social security benefits in retirement, assistance for furloughed employees, and advantages/disadvantages of 529 college plans.
6. Local Leader Information: Don't forget, as you conduct your local FEA elections, please remember to send an updated list of your local officers to your District Representative and Area Director.
7. Goodbye Grievance: If you are planning to retire or resign this year, or just leaving Europe, make sure you FILE and ELEVATE a goodbye grievance before your last duty day. If your FRS does not have a copy, please contact your District Representative or Area Director.
Liberty Intermediate School: Congratulations to Dawn King who has been elected to serve as FRS for LIS for next year. Thank you to Kay Spohn for having served for the past few years.
Netzaberg Middle School: Congratulations to Jamie Brunson for being elected FRS for SY 13-14, and thank you to David Weight, current FRS.
Robinson Barracks E/MS: Congratulations to Nick Corelis, FRS; Paula Sloan, FR Middle School; and, Stacey Mease, FR Elementary School, on being elected to serve their members for the next school year.
Feltwell Elementary School: Congratulations to Becky Eversman, and Mark Solomon FR, as they have been elected local union leaders at their school.
May Special Events
May 1-31: Asian Pacific American Heritage Month:
May 17: Anniversary of School Desegregation Ruling
May 20-21: Lindbergh Flight Anniversary
May 22: International Day for Biological Diversity
May 27: Memorial Day (federal holiday)
"People who live in a Golden Age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks."---Randall Jarrell, American Writer
Have a great week!
FEA Area Director
Heidelberg, Isles, Cuba