May 19 2010 FEA Europe Update1. EAC Meeting
2. Vacant FEA Positions
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. School Vacancies
5. "What's Wrong With This Picture?"
6. Free Things for May
7. NEA Complimentary Life Insurance
8. Stress Levels
9. Keep Informed!
10. Area JCC
11. Check Your LES
1. EAC Meeting - Your FEA European leadership is currently meeting in our "make up session" of the spring EAC meeting, which had to be cancelled during the volcanic disruption of travel. The EAC meets twice a year to share issues, brainstorm problems and solutions, and to set the course for FEA Europe. Please excuse any delay in responding to your e-mails while we are in attendance at this meeting.
2. Vacant FEA Positions - Applications have been accepted for the vacant positions of Bavaria District Rep and the European HCR coordinator. In accordance with our constitution and EAC standing rules, the EAC will make these selections and the announcement of these appointments will be made shortly.
3. Area Directors' Travel - Recently, I visited Menwith Hill ES/HS, Lakenheath ES and Lakenheath MS, as well as Alconbury ES and Alconbury HS. Many thanks to all of those who helped set up my visit as well as to the members who took time to discuss local issues and concerns with me. I will be working with the FRS's and Lisa Ali, the Isles District Rep, to address those issues at the appropriate level. I also presented a Local Leaders and Membership Training at Alconbury on Saturday May 8th. Thanks to those members who gave time on a Saturday to learn more about our Association. We will continue to present this type of training in other areas in the coming school year.
Next week, on May 26th, Nancy Almendras, Heidelberg District Rep, and I will visit Mannheim ES during the day and Mannheim HS after school.
4. School Vacancies - Even though all excessed educators have now been placed, we still have educators who have requested reconsideration of their placements. Please continue to inform us of vacancies as they occur at your schools.
5. "What's Wrong With This Picture?" We still have school and district administration positions which have not been filled. Some of these vacancies have been known since January. Why the delay in filling these positions? Not only do these delays impact the schools and districts with vacant positions, employees who have applied for these positions have been "in limbo" for a long time now.
6. Free Things for May - NEA has some great free offers for May, including poster sets, lesson plans, and other resources:
7. NEA Complimentary Life Insurance - Remember that one of the benefits of your membership is a complimentary life insurance policy, formerly known as "Dues Tab". It is free, but you must sign up for it. To sign up, check or change your beneficiary information, go to the NEA web site.
8. Stress Levels - The end of the year is always stressful, but particularly in a year like this which started out with unnecessary confusion and stress. Please try to be patient with your self and with your colleagues. In difficult times, it is more important than ever for us to work together.
9. Keep Informed! Please continue to check the FEA website for the latest important information.
10. Area JCC - Our next Area JCC meeting is scheduled for Monday May 24th. Please remember the importance of these meetings at your school level as well. The Article 4, Section 3A, addresses this: "Joint Cooperation Committees (JCC) - The purpose of the committees shall be to promote and facilitate understanding and constructive relationships between the Association and the Employer."
11. Check Your LES - There have been some reports of a "glitch" causing problems in TSP deductions from the current pay LES. Please check your LES carefully and if there is a problem, immediately file a pay inquiry.
Thanks for all you do!
FEA Europe Area Director
0611-44756131 or DSN 335-5373/69