May 18 2011 FEA Europe Update1. Area Directors' Travels
2. Fall FRS Training
3. "What's Wrong With This Picture?"
4. "And Another Thing…"
5. Need Credits?
6. Unity/FEA Journal
7. Summer Web Access
8. FEA Annual Meeting/NEA RA
9. RAT/PCS Orders
10. Memorial Day Lessons
11. Local Elections
12. Area JCC
1. Area Directors' Travels -- Many thanks to everyone who helped make my trip to England last week so pleasant and productive. Alex is in Bamberg this week, so I am sending the Update again today. Alex will send the next one on May 25. I will be at AFNORTH May 25 and then at Geilenkirchen ES on May 26.
2. Fall FRS Training -- For your planning purposes, the schedule for Fall FRS training is as follows:
9 September -- Isles Training (schools in England)
12 September -- Bavaria
14 September -- Kaiserslautern and Heidelberg Districts (including the Isles schools on the continent)
15,16 September -- EAC Meetings
Further information about times, exact locations, etc. will be provided later.
Attached is the contract information concerning the number of reps your school is allowed, etc. This day is separate from the days allotted to ES FRS's for Association work.
3. "What's Wrong With This Picture?" Why is it that management responds so quickly to concerns raised from outside our organization, even anonymous "ICE" comments, and yet legitimate concerns, raised by our own teachers about issues from curriculum, to facilities, to local administration, seem to fall on deaf ears? When will this system learn to value input from our teachers, who teach the curriculum, work in the facilities, and who work daily with their administrators? When will DoDEA listen to teachers?
4. "And Another Thing…" Why is it, with this wave of so-called audits creating a flood of debt letters, that no one has received a letter saying " We have audited your records and we owe YOU the following amount…"? Can it be that in ALL of these supposed audits they have not found one teacher who was underpaid? Can it be that in EVERY case, the teacher owes the debt? If you have recently received a letter from DFAS/DoDEA stating that they owe YOU money, please let me know and I will stand corrected.
5. Need Credits? Looking for courses for recertification or to advance a pay lane? Try the NEA Academy, listed under "More NEA Websites" on the NEA Home Page. Be sure to check to make sure the course you are signing up for offers credits and not just Continuing Education Units. It is also a good idea to contact DoDEA licensure/certification with the University name, course title, etc. before paying tuition and fees in order to insure the credit will be accepted and to save that correspondence.
6. Unity/FEA Journal - You should be receiving the spring edition of the FEA Europe Unity about now, as well as the latest FEA Journal. Be sure to take a few minutes to look through these. Both publications contain important information. Your address on the Journal also contains your membership number which is important to access portions of the FEA website. The Unity and the FEA Journal are also available on line at www.feaonline.org.
7. Summer Web Access -- Don't forget that you may want to access websites like TSP, EBIS, MyPay, etc. while you are traveling this summer. Make sure you have your passwords, PIN numbers, etc. available. Be sure to keep those safe and secure.
8. FEA Annual Meeting/NEA RA - We often say that FEA is unique among the NEA's 51 "state" affiliates. One of the ways in which we differ from the other states is that, due to our worldwide locations, we hold our Annual Meeting in conjunction with the RA. This is the only time of the year that we are able to bring so many members from our worldwide locations together to discuss the issues which face FEA and DoDEA. This year's annual meeting is June 29 & 30 in Chicago. Any member is welcome to attend, so if you are going to be in the Chicago area during that time, check out the information on the FEA website and plan to stop by...
The three areas, Europe, Pacific, and Stateside send delegates to this meeting and the NEA RA which follows. In addition, locals (or "clusters" of locals) with more than 75 members can also send a delegate to the RA. If your local did not select a delegate for this year, think about sending one next year when the annual meeting and NEA RA will be in Washington DC during the week of July 4th.
9. RAT/PCS Orders - If you have submitted your request for travel orders (RAT/PCS) more than 2 weeks ago and have not received your orders yet, please contact your servicing specialist via e-mail with a copy to Laura Miedema:
Yolanda Deutschmann/Katie Chaney -- Bavaria District
Stella Ramirez/Mabel Pettrie -- Heidelberg District
Rebecca Heinrichs/Henry Mims -- Isles District
Melissa Laycock/Lyle Hoffman -- Kaiserslautern District
10. Memorial Day Lessons -- For a variety of lessons and activities relating to Memorial Day (did you know it was originally called "Decoration Day"?) go to http://www.nea.org/tools/memorialday-lesson-ideas.html.
11. Local Elections -- Please remember to let your Area Director and District Rep know the results of your local elections for FRS and other officers. This helps us to prepare our mailing and distribution lists for next school year. We will be contacting new FRS's and officers for their correct contact information.
12. Area JCC -- The final Area JCC meeting for this year is scheduled for June 2.
As the year comes to a close, things get more hectic and everyday seems to be a deadline. Hang in there. Thanks for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
0611-44756131 or DSN 335-5373/69