May 16 2012 FEA Europe Update1. 21/26 Pay Period Election
2. FEA Legal Update
3. LQA /TQSA Rates
4. Licensure Information
5. Retirement Articles
6. Transfer Program Update
8. Goodbye Grievance
9. Update Your Local Leader Information
10. Dates to Remember for May
1. 21/26 Pay Period Election: The MOU governing the 21 or 26 pay period election is attached, along with the election form for 2012-2013. Please not that the deadline is 31 May 2012 if you want to change your pay period election from 21 to 26 pay periods, or vice versa. Please remember that Bill Freeman recommends switching to 21 pay periods before you retire, so if retirement is in your plans for next year, please note that the switch must be made before the end of this school year.
2. FEA Legal Update: Please read the attached legal update from H.T. Nguyen, pertaining to the Revision of DoD Instruction 1400.25, Retroactive Payment of Guam Post Differential and Other Issues, the Revised DoDEA Director's Memorandum on Promoting Efficient Spending, and the Requirement for DoDDS Educators to sign a new RAT travel form.
3. LQA/TQSA Rates: For those of you moving this summer I am including the website listing LQA/TQSA Rates.
4. Licensure: Please remember to check your teaching certificate for its expiration date. The following website will assist you with licensure renewal.
5. Retirement Articles: Attached are two articles dealing with retirement issues---April TSP Returns and Single Individuals Social Security Options. Both of these articles are from the website www.myfederalretirement.com.
6. Transfer Program Update: DoDEA has recently informed FEA that they will be able to offer an additional four transfers. The placements will go to applicants who match vacancies beginning with applicants from Group D and will be determined based upon Service Computation Date within each transfer group. Any teacher in Group D or F who receives an offer at this late date, may decline without penalty. Group D/F transfers will be made to vacancies that could not be used for Group A+, A, B or C placements. Although these four additional transfer placements are better than none, FEA continues to feel that this year's transfer program was grossly underfunded and will hurt morale and professional growth opportunities for DoDDS educators. (from the May 15, 2012, President's Report)
7. Benefits: Please remember how important it is to make sure your benefits information is valid and up-to-date, especially your designated beneficiary information. The following website will assist you with FEHB, FEGLI, Injury compensation and a host of other programs.
8. Goodbye Grievance: If you are retiring or moving to another FEA area or non-FEA area, please remember to file the goodbye grievance. The goodbye grievance must be filed and elevated by your last duty day. Your FRS has the forms and can assist you with this procedure.
9. Update Your Local Leader Information: As you continue to hold your local FEA elections, please remember to send an updated list of your local officers to your District Representative and Area Director. We look forward to seeing all of you at our training in the fall.
10. Dates to Remember for May:
May 1-31 Asian Pacific American Heritage Month A diverse group whose heritages represent more than 50 ethnic groups and 100 languages, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have made enormous contributions to the civic, cultural, and economic fabric of our nation. Read more at these sites: Teaching Asian Pacific Islander Heritage , Asia for Educators
May 17 Anniversary of School Desegregation Ruling On this date in 1954, racial segregation in public schools was unanimously ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, as a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment clause guaranteeing equal protection under the law.
May 20-21 Lindbergh Flight Anniversary of the first transatlantic solo flight. On these dates in 1927, Charles Lindbergh flew nonstop from New York to Paris.
May 22 International Day for Biological Diversity The United Nations proclaimed May 22 the International Day for Biological Diversity to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues. To learn more, visit the Convention on Biological Diversity website.
May 28 Memorial Day commemorates American men and women who have died in military service.
Have a great week!
Lisa Garmon Ali
FEA Europe Area Director
PSC 41 Box 5569
APO AE 09464
Tel: 44-1638527662 (outside UK)