May 1 2013 FEA Europe Update
01 May 2013
1. Excess Teacher Placement: It is my understanding that this process is not nearly complete as yet. Please check the most recent FEA President's Update or the FEA website for the latest information.
2. Retirement Articles: I have attached various articles from www.myfederalretirement.com, including a GAO report that questions defined contribution plan rollovers to IRAs, a Pre-Retirement To-Do List, and the Supreme Court Ruling on DOMA.
3. Some Good News: Several of you have notified me that you have received your contested RAT reimbursement from last summer. Thanks to HT and the Washington staff for working this issue for us. Hopefully everyone who is owed money will receive it soon---I'm sure the check is in the mail.
4. Administrative Surveys: Schools are now in the process of conducting FEA's annual administrative surveys. Please take the time to participate in this as it provides valuable insight into our schools. Results are shared with building administrators, district superintendents, and the DoDEA Area Director.
5. FEA Board of Directors: FEA has elected new candidates to serve on the Board of Directors for three year terms: FEA President: Chuck McCarter Vice President: Michael Priser Secretary/Treasurer: Anita Lang NEA Director for FEA: Brian Chance Human & Civil Rights Coordinator: Noemi (Mimi) Cuadrado
Congratulations to these people and our thanks for your willingness to serve our members.
6. Local Leader Information: Don't forget, as you conduct your local FEA elections, please remember to send an updated list of your local officers to your District Representative and Area Director.
7. BAS Administration: Teachers are allotted substitute days in order to administer the BAS. You are allowed as many days as you need, so make sure you request adequate days to complete your testing. If you have any questions, please contact your FRS. The BAS MOU is attached for your reference.
8. Goodbye Grievance: If you are planning to retire or resign this year, or just leaving Europe, make sure you FILE and ELEVATE a goodbye grievance before your last duty day. If your FRS does not have a copy, please contact your District Representative or Area Director.
9. From Our Members: As always, if you have any news to share with our membership, please let me know, and if possible, I will include it in the updates.
May Special Events
May 1-31: Asian Pacific American Heritage Month:
May 17: Anniversary of School Desegregation Ruling
May 20-21: Lindbergh Flight Anniversary
May 22: International Day for Biological Diversity
May 27: Memorial Day (federal holiday)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing." ---Robert Benchley, American humorist
Have a great week.
FEA Area Director
Heidelberg, Isles, Cuba