April 21, 2017 FEA Europe Update
1. Retro Pay
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. FRS Elections
4. HCR Building Representatives
6. National Teacher Day
7. Area JCC
8. National School Nurse Day
9. Child Abuse Prevention Month
10. Mark Your Calendar
11. "Goodbye" Grievance
12. FEA Election Results
14. Summer Travel
1. Retro Pay -- In response to a number of questions that I have received, it is anticipated that FEA and DoDDS will meet soon with the Wage Setting Authority soon to review and finalize the SY 16-17 salary figures. We will keep you informed and let you know when you can expect to see your retroactive pay adjustment for this spring, which will reflect your true pay for the current school year.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- I have no travel plans for this week. My next scheduled trip would be to Sembach for the next JCC on May 16.Note: Whenever my 'Out of Office' reply message comes up it does not necessarily mean that I am unavailable. It may just be a CAC issue as I am traveling. In that case, if you need an answer quickly, write to firstname.lastname@example.org . I will be able to get on there from almost anywhere. Also, if you feel the need to actually speak with me, please leave me a message at that same address with a number and I will call as soon I can. Always remember that for the most current news to check www.feaonline.org on a regular basis.
3. FRS Elections -- It is nearing the time of year (usually late April in to May) when schools will be choosing their Faculty Representative Spokesperson for SY 17/18. This is a very important task and I hope that all schools will do all they can to run open, fair and transparent elections. Current FRS's have been provided with the SOP for such elections that was adopted by the EAC. Please note that most of what is in the SOP are recommendations as the election of a FRS is a very local matter. Please also see #4 below. It would be optional for each school if they wish to conduct the school level HCR election in conjunction with the FRS election.
4. HCR -- The following item comes from Patricia Hannon, the FEA Europe HCR Coordinator from Hohenfels ES:
"Due to the recent surge in social activism surrounding Human and Civil Rights, The FEA European Area Council would like to encourage each building to include a Human and Civil Rights Representative category in their spring election this year. This person, known as a "building HCR" has the following duties:
Promote social justice, equity, and equal access at the building level.
Participate in and/or provide specialized training for social justice topics.
Serve as a point of contact in your building for social justice and equity concerns.
Participate in a community of HCR representatives to promote social justice training and leadership.
We are looking for passionate people from all walks of life to fill this role. Please contact Patricia Hannon, FEA Europe HCR, with any questions."
5. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. My next Update will be around May 3. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
6. National Teacher Day - National Teacher Day is a day for honoring teachers and recognizing the lasting contributions they make to our lives. Congress declared March 7, 1980, as National Teacher Day for that year only. NEA and its affiliates continued to observe National Teacher Day in March until 1985, when the NEA Representative Assembly voted to change the event to Tuesday of the first full week of May. In May of 2009, a bill was introduced in Congress that created a national day of teacher recognition on the Tuesday of the first full week of May. http://www.nea.org/grants/teacherday.html
7. Area JCC -- The next Area JCC has been scheduled for May 16 in Sembach. Minutes of the meeting will follow shortly thereafter. Attached above our minutes of the March JCC.
8. National School Nurse Day -- Wednesday, May 10, is National School Nurse Day. School nurses work to promote health and provide the best care possible to students and their families. Take time on this day to look at the difference school nurses make in our schools. On a personal note, I would like to thank all our dedicated nurses for their hard work and patience in dealing with our students (and teachers)! They look after us as well!
9. Child Abuse Prevention Month - In the early 1980s, Congress resolved that the week of June 6-12, 1982, should be designated as the first National Child Abuse Prevention Week, in commitment to identifying and implementing solutions to child abuse. The following year, in 1983, April was proclaimed the National Child Abuse Prevention Month.
10. Mark Your Calendar-
May1-31 - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
May 1-31 - Jewish American Heritage Month
May 5 -- Cinco de Mayo
May 7-13- Teacher Appreciation Week
May 9 - National Teacher Day
May 10 - National School Nurses Day
May 14 - Mother's Day
11. "Goodbye" Grievance -- If you are planning on retiring or resigning this year, make sure you FILE and ELEVATE a goodbye grievance before your last duty day. It has also been recommended even if you are just switching to another Area. If your FRS does not have a copy of it, please contact your District Rep or Area Director. Also, keep it in a safe place and keep it forever. I could tell you horror stories from those who did not.
12. FEA Election Results - The winners of FEA's Area Director elections are:
Europe Area Director -- Terry McClain
Pacific Area Director -- Melanie Horton
FEA Director for DDESS -- Jane Loggins
Congratulations to all of the winners. Full election results can be found at www.feaonline.org
13. Announcement - As mentioned earlier, Terry McClain has won election for next year as the Europe Area Director. At the moment he is serving Europe East 2 Division Representative, with one year still left in his term. He will be resigning that position at the end of this school year to assume his new position. Therefore, the European Area Council has voted to continue with past practice and appoint a replacement who will serve the final year of the term. There will be an election for the next full term beginning in the fall of next year. If you are interested in this appointment, are an FEA member, and currently assigned to a school in Division 2 East, then we ask that you write a brief message expressing your interest, along with any information that you would like considered, to Terry at email@example.com by close of business next Friday, April 28. Once all applications have been received, the EAC will then make a final decision.
14. Summer Travel -- FEA urges members to hold off on summer travel purchases
FEA Europe Area Director