April 16 2012 FEA Europe Update1. Transfer Information, Principal Placements, etc.
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. Retirement Recognition
5. "What's Wrong With This Picture?"
6. Summer Workshops
7. National School Nurse Day
8. Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month
9. Jewish American Heritage Month
10. Mark Your Calendars
11. Faculty Representative Spokesperson (FRS)
12. National Teacher Appreciation Week
13. National Teacher Day
1.Transfer Information, Principal Placements, etc. -- From the FEA President's Report of April 3 : "Initially last week, we were told only enough funding was available to make placements for all Group C (Excess) employees, Group A+ and just two applicants from Group A. FEA was able to get DoDDS to commit to running the program through Group C at this time. It is our hope and expectation that, once notifications for these placements are sent out (and they are expected to be sent out beginning today), additional funds will be freed up by people taking a local transfer or deciding to retire instead of transfer. Those freed-up funds will then be used to fund additional transfers for Groups D and F. We do not, however, expect the number of transfer placements in those groups (or any of the transfer groups) to be anywhere near as high as they have been in recent years.
The expected placement of applicants from Groups D and F will begin after the DoDDS spring break and continue, as additional funds are freed up, through June 1. Placements for Groups D and F will be made from vacancies that could not be used to match applicants in higher transfer groups. Candidates placed in Group D and Group F will have the option to accept or decline the transfer without penalty. If they decline, they will remain in their current position and the vacancy will go to the next eligible match until the transfer budget is depleted.
Meanwhile, FEA will continue to press DoDEA Headquarters to allocate funds to fund a full transfer round this year. The value of the transfer program, both as a way for educators to share knowledge and perspectives across different parts of the world and as a tool for maintaining and boosting employee morale, cannot be overstated."
This is the latest transfer news that I have at the time of writing.
Principal reassignments and appointments are nearly finished. Many of you have either heard rumors or directly from your administrator as to some of these moves. However, since at this time there are still a few moves pending, DoDEA has not yet released an official list. Until such time as they do I do not wish to speculate or pass on rumors in this particular Update. As soon as something comes out for release we will get it out to you.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- This week I will be traveling to Baumholder Tuesday evening to visit schools on Wednesday and then to attend the BAEA dinner meeting that night. On Thursday morning I will travel to Kaiserslautern to visit Vogelweh in the afternoon. On Friday morning through early afternoon I will be stopping in to the three Kaiserslautern schools before heading back to Vilseck in the late afternoon. Lisa will be staying close to home this week but I understand that she is working on an ambitious travel schedule for the coming weeks.
3. Retirement Recognition - If you have members who are retiring this year, and you would like an FEA certificate to present to them, please send a list of your retirees to Marcia Anglim. We will forward the lists to FEA HQ so that those members can receive a certificate of appreciation for their service and membership. Please include the address where the certificates should be mailed. In order to allow the certificates to be mailed out in a timely fashion please submit the list of retirees no later than May 11.
4. TQSA -- TQSA (or Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance) is a acronym that many of us will become familiar with in the next few months. All questions concerning it can be answered by a quick reading of the Department of State Regulations governing it. Thanks to Anthony Ates of the Area Office for sending the regulation which you can read here. Make special note of sections 121 a & b and 122.2.
5. "What's Wrong With This Picture?" -- ‘Why is it that management responds so quickly to concerns raised from outside our organization, even anonymous "ICE" comments, and yet legitimate concerns, raised by our own teachers about issues from curriculum, to facilities, to local administration, seem to fall on deaf ears? ‘ If you recognize the above quote that is because Chuck McCarter included it is his Update almost exactly a year ago. We continue to have problems with anonymous ICE comments and it just goes to show that some things never change. FEA is pressing hard at every level to see to it that these anonymous ICE comments (mostly complaints) be given only the credence that they are worth when someone is unwilling to identify themselves.
6. Summer Workshops -- Please note that the deadline for applying for summer workshops has been extended until April 23. (See attached) FEA continues to urge DoDEA to expand the list of offerings.
7. National School Nurse Day - School nurses work to promote health and provide the best care possible to students and their families. Take time on this day to look at the difference school nurses make in our schools. See School Nurse Day and learn more about school nurses at the National Association of School Nurses website. On a personal note, I would like to personally thank all our dedicated nurses for their hard work and patience in dealing with our students (and teachers) ! They look after us as well !
8. Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month -- May 1 -- May 31 -A diverse group whose heritages represent more than 50 ethnic groups and 100 languages, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have made enormous contributions to the civic, cultural, and economic fabric of our nation. Read more at these sites:
· Asians/Pacific Islanders (NEA)
· Library of Congress
· The Art of Asia
· Asia for Educators
· Notable Asian Pacific Americans
9. Jewish American Heritage Month -- In May we also celebrate another important group. On April 20, 2006, President George W. Bush proclaimed that May would be Jewish American Heritage Month, recognizing the more than 350-year history of Jewish contributions to American culture. Read more at these sites:
Jewish American Heritage Month
The Library of Congress
Law Library of Congress: Research Guide
American Jewish Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
10. Mark Your Calendars --
May 5 -- Cinco de Mayo
May 6-12 -- Teacher Appreciation Week
May 8 - National Teacher Day
May 9 -- National School Nurse Day
11. Faculty Representative Spokesperson (FRS) -- It is the time of the year again when schools need to be thinking about choosing their FRS for school year 2012/2013. Normally this is completed in May. Current FRS's will be provided with the SOP for such elections that was adopted by the EAC. Please note that most of what is in the SOP are recommendations. Attached is an article that I wrote for the Unity in April 2010 expressing how important the election of an FRS can be.
12. National Teacher Appreciation Week -- May 6 -12 is the week to thank a teacher and take action to ensure public school educators are recognized, valued, and respected. Visit the National Teacher Day web page to learn more. Now might be the time to plan some events for your school and community. May 8 of that week is :
13. National Teacher Day - National Teacher Day is a day for honoring teachers and recognizing the lasting contributions they make to our lives. Congress declared March 7, 1980, as National Teacher Day for that year only. NEA and its affiliates continued to observe National Teacher Day in March until 1985, when the NEA Representative Assembly voted to change the event to Tuesday of the first full week of May. In May of 2009, a bill was introduced in Congress that created a national day of teacher recognition on the Tuesday of the first full week of May. See National Teacher Day web page.
14. Update -- The next Update will be sent out by Lisa on April 25. The following week there will not be an Update due to an Area JCC and the Spring EAC meeting. My next Update will be on May 9. ( I can't believe that May is almost here !) Please know that if there is any breaking news that we will get it out immediately.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051