April 1, 20091. Transfer Program and Announcements
3. March Unity
4. Local Leaders Training
5. HCR Training
6. Month of the Military Child
7. Poetry Month
8. FEA Updates
9. UniServ Coverage
10. Spring Break
In spite of the fact that this Update is coming out on April 1st, I am not including any April Fools' Jokes...
1. Transfer Program and Announcements - This was my second year working on the transfer placements. I can say without hesitation that the process is carried out carefully, thoroughly, and fairly. Debra Degalis, the Pacific Area Director, Connie Shanaghan, FEA's transfer "guru" and I worked closely with the DoDEA staff members throughout the process. The work is very intense and time consuming, but all the participants were committed to making the best placement possible for those involved.
As stated in Michael Priser's latest report: The transfer round ended at 7:00 p.m., Friday, March 27. Per an agreement with DoDDS, FEA cannot release the number of transfers until all information has been verified and the teaching certifications checked. Reassignment letters will begin to go out by e-mail mid-week and continue into the following week (week of April 6th). (Note: I have heard that these have already started, but the process will take a while!) DoDDS is aware that many teachers have spring break this week and may need an extra day or two to respond to their notifications.
Reassignment letters will be sent out by the gaining district. Therefore, it is possible for a principal to receive the name of a teacher coming to his/her school prior to a teacher currently at the school receiving his/her transfer reassignment. Only those teachers who received a transfer are notified by DoDDS HQ.
Excess teachers may request reconsideration for the following reasons:
1. To remain in your current district or commuting area.
2. If you were placed in a teaching category you have not taught nor received training in during the past six years.
3. Due to medical needs (requires medical documentation).
Excess teachers who wish to request reconsideration must do so within 2 weeks of receiving their transfer reassignment letter.
If you are an FEA member and have a question about your transfer you can contact Connie Shanaghan at the FEA Admin Outlook address. Be sure to include your transfer group and SCD. Please note that FEA cannot release any specific information on transfers until DoDDS HQ has sent out all the transfer reassignment letters.
FRS's: Please continue to let your District Rep and Area Directors know of new vacancies that occur in your schools.
2. www.ourcourts.org - Our Courts is a free, interactive, web-based program designed to teach students civics and inspire them to be active participants in our democracy. Our Courts is the vision of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who is concerned that students are not getting the information and tools they need for civic participation, and that civics teachers need better materials and support. On this site, you will find information and useful teaching resources for an engaging civics curriculum.
3. March Unity - FRS's: You should be receiving the March edition of the Unity. Please distribute it to your members as soon as possible. If you have not received them within the next week or so, please contact me.
4. Local Leaders Training - I will be conducting a Local Leaders/Membership Training in the Mannheim/Heidelberg area on Saturday, May 16th from 9 a.m. to approximately 2 p.m. Please let your FRS know if you are interested in attending. Watch future Updates for exact times and locations. John and I have been conducting these in various locations and the response has been very good. These are open to all members who are interested in learning more about the Association.
5. HCR Training - In cooperation with the NEA, FEA HCR Europe is planning a Human & Civil Rights workshop - April 24, 25, 26, 2009 in Kaiserslautern. Credit will be available for this training, but those spaces are limited. Anyone wishing to take this course for credit should immediately contact Terese Sarno and Linda Callender who are POC's for this event. Watch for more information and directions in future Updates.
6. Month of the Military Child - April is the Month of the Military Child. FEA is encouraging all members to visit www.feaonline.org/militarychild.htm to print out a letter-sized poster you can hang in your classroom, celebrating this month and honoring the military children it recognizes. As faculty and staff in DoDEA schools, we know military children as well as anyone, and it's hard to think of anyone more deserving of recognition for their strength of character, resiliency and hard work. Let's make sure these great kids know how much they are appreciated!
7. Poetry Month - Each year the month of April is set aside as National Poetry Month, a time to celebrate poets and their craft. For lesson plans and activities, please go to: readwritethink.org.
8. FEA Updates - Along with the latest news on Transfers, the President's Reports, etc, the FEA website also includes Legal Updates for our members. Be sure to check those out.
Contact information for each is in your pocket calendar.
10. Spring Break - For those of you traveling during the upcoming Spring Break, here are some travel tips. Make sure you have copies of all your passports and other important documents stored separately from the originals when you travel. Make sure you have up-to-date contact information in your wallet or purse in the event of an accident, etc. You may want to include local contact information as well as stateside contacts. It is also a good idea to let a colleague know your travel plans and contact numbers.
Thanks for all you do!
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel/Fax: 0611-44756234 or
0611-44756131 or DSN 337-6251