March 29 2017 FEA Europe Update
1. Almost There
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. FRS Elections
4. HCR Building Representatives
6. Traveling for Spring Break?
7. Area JCC
8. "What's Wrong With This Picture?"
9. Child Abuse Prevention Month
10. Mark Your Calendar
1. Almost There -- As you receive this we are in the final run-up to Spring Break. (That is one of the reasons that this Update will be a little shorter than usual.) With my current position, I get to speak, visit, and write with many members from a number of locations in Europe. In the past few weeks the most common question was ‘Will Break ever get here?' Well, it has. I hope all of you take some time to relax and rejuvenate yourself while doing whatever exciting things you may have planned. There is one quarter still to go and it will pose its own challenges, but we can meet them if we look after ourselves and each other. Please accept my best wishes for the best Spring Break you have ever had!!
2. Area Directors' Travels -- This past week I was in Ramstein on some specific FEA business. While there, I was also able to visit Landstuhl E/MS. Thank you to all there for the hospitality I was shown during my visit. My next week will be spent resting up during the break while preparing for the ‘Home Stretch'.Note: Whenever my ‘Out of Office' reply message comes up it does not necessarily mean that I am unavailable. It may just be a CAC issue as I am traveling. In that case, if you need an answer quickly, write to email@example.com . I will be able to get on there from almost anywhere. Also, if you feel the need to actually speak with me, please leave me a message at that same address with a number and I will call as soon I can. Always remember that for the most current news to check www.feaonline.org on a regular basis.
3. FRS Elections -- It is nearing the time of year (usually late April in to May) when schools will be choosing their Faculty Representative Spokesperson for SY 17/18. This is a very important task and I hope that all schools will do all they can to run open, fair and transparent elections. Current FRS's will be provided with the SOP for such elections that was adopted by the EAC. Please note that most of what is in the SOP are recommendations as the election of a FRS is a very local matter. Please also see #4 below. It would be optional for each school if they wish to conduct the school level HCR election in conjunction with the FRS election.
4. HCR -- The following item comes from Patricia Hannon, the FEA Europe HCR Coordinator from Hohenfels ES:
"Due to the recent surge in social activism surrounding Human and Civil Rights, The FEA European Area Council would like to encourage each building to include a Human and Civil Rights Representative category in their spring election this year. This person, known as a "building HCR" has the following duties:
Promote social justice, equity, and equal access at the building level.
Participate in and/or provide specialized training for social justice topics.
Serve as a point of contact in your building for social justice and equity concerns.
Participate in a community of HCR representatives to promote social justice training and leadership.
We are looking for passionate people from all walks of life to fill this role. Please contact Patricia Hannon, FEA Europe HCR, with any questions."
5. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. My next Update will be around April 12. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
6. Traveling for Spring Break? - For those of you traveling during the upcoming Spring Break, here are some travel tips. Make sure you have copies of all your passports and other important documents stored separately from the originals when you travel. Make sure you have up-to-date contact information in your wallet or purse in the event of an accident or sudden illness, etc. You may want to include local (European) contact information as well as stateside contacts. It is also a good idea to let a colleague know your travel plans and contact numbers in case of emergency. And, should you find yourself ‘stuck' in an airport then the guide that you can find here might prove valuable. http://www.sleepinginairports.net/
7. Area JCC -- The next Area JCC has not yet been scheduled but it will occur after Spring Break. Minutes of the meeting will follow shortly thereafter.
8. "What's Wrong With This Picture?" -- ‘Why is it that management responds so quickly to concerns raised from outside our organization, even anonymous "ICE" comments, and yet legitimate concerns, raised by our own teachers about issues from curriculum, to facilities, to local administration, seem to fall on deaf ears? ‘If you recognize the above quote that is because Chuck McCarter included it is his Update in April of 2011. We continue to have problems with anonymous ICE comments and it just goes to show that some things never change. There have been some just reported to us last week. FEA is pressing hard at every level to see to it that these anonymous ICE comments (mostly complaints) be given only the credence that they are worth when someone is unwilling to identify themselves.