March 24 2017 FEA Europe Update
24 March 2017
1. Training Opportunity for Graduate Credit
2. Responsible Use of Memorial Sites
3. February 16 Europe Area JCC Notes
4. Retirement Articles
6. This Day in History
7. More April Dates to Remember
8. Germany Today Conference
9. Quote for the Week
10. Interesting Fact
1. Training Opportunity for Graduate Credit: FEA will be sponsoring the course, "Leadership Skills in the 21st Century: LGBT Issues", on the weekend of 21-23 April 2017 in Stuttgart. All teachers within the area are welcome to attend. This course may be taken for 1 semester hour of Graduate credit through either USD or Ashland. For more information, or if you would like to sign up for the class, please contact Lisa Ali or John Crowe on Outlook.
2. "Responsible Use of Memorial Sites": Message from Tricia Hannon, European HCR Representative. The "Responsible Use of Memorial Sites", scheduled for May 13 and 14 in Nuremberg, if now full. However, if you are still interested, please send your name to Patricia Hannon. She can add you to the waiting list, and/or put you on a list in case she is able to schedule another course for next fall.
Up to 15 people can attend for the American Cohort. If there is a significant waiting list, we may expand the conference, so make sure to email me if you don't "get in".
Please notice that there is a small registration fee. This is to discourage no-shows and partial attendance, which are both a waste of member dollars and a poor representation of FEA membership in our Host Nation. I hope you understand that this small fee is non-refundable after you register. The FEA HCR program will be paying for all entrance, speaker, and tour fees on your behalf. Graduate Credit will be pursued if significant interest applies.
Notice that the Anne Frank Haus will be there to introduce you to their project entitled "Memory Walk". They are looking for schools to do this with in the future, perhaps in conjunction with our partner school in Amsterdam.
3. February 16 Europe Area JCC Notes: Attached are the approved notes from the February 16, 2017, Europe Area JCC held in Sembach.
4. Retirement Articles:
OPM Issues Alert to Federal Retirees, Annuitants on Fake Retirement Scam
Guide for the Thrift Savings Plan/TSP Forms
5. DramaFest: Ladies and Gentlemen! High school Thespians of All Ages! You are invited to attend the Third Annual DramaFest - our very own 3 Ring Circus!" DoDEA-Europe (ER-DE) Theatre Conference/Competition to be held in Wiesbaden, Germany, from 12-15 April, 2017.
This year's conference theme is "3 Ring Circus" and will provide students of theatre the opportunity to share individual and ensemble performances. Sessions will include, but are not limited to:
School Ensemble Performances
This activity is funded by DoDEA-Europe. The coordinator for this event is Christopher Harbach, Project Officer, Wiesbaden High School. Questions regarding this activity may be addressed to Christopher Harbach via e-mail Christopher.Harbach@eu.dodea.edu or by telephone at DSN 314-337-2260 ext. 2834 or CIV +49-611-705 2260 ext. 2834.
6. This Day in History: March 24, 1958: Elvis Presley is inducted into the US Army. When Elvis Presley turned 18 on January 8, 1953, he fulfilled his patriotic duty and legal obligation to register his name with the Selective Service System, thereby making himself eligible for the draft. The Korean War was still underway at the time, but as a student in good standing at L.C. Humes High School in Memphis, Elvis received a student deferment that kept him from facing conscription during that conflict's final months. Elvis would receive another deferment four years later when his draft number finally came up, but this time for a very different reason: to complete the filming of his third Hollywood movie, King Creole. With that obligation fulfilled, Uncle Sam would wait no longer. On March 24, 1958, Elvis Presley was finally inducted, starting his day as the King of Rock and Roll, but ending it as a lowly buck private in the United States Army. www.history.com
7. More April Dates to Rembmer: For more interesting and important April dates, please check out the following website: http://www.historyplace.com/specials/calendar/april.htm
8. Germany Today Seminar: Attached is more information regarding a Germany Today Seminar being offered this weekend. While it may be too late to take advantage of this weekend's course, this seminar will be offered again April 21-23.
Who is invited? All DoDDS employees and their friends -- German or American- are welcome.
When: March 24-26, 2017 [Friday 6pm through Sunday 2pm]
Where?: PfalzAkademie, Franz-Hartmann-Straße 9, D-67466 Lambrecht/Pfalz http://www.pfalzakademie.de/
Cost: € 180 p.p. in a double room / € 210 in a single room -- this includes room and board: 6 meals, two overnight stays, coffee/tea, lectures, excursion and guided tour.
Not included in the price is travel to and from Lambrecht, beverages tips and personal expenditures.
Credit: One graduate credit towards DoDDS recertification is optional with either Ashland U. $65 or the U. of San Diego $75 along with a 3 page reflection paper.
If interested, please respond to Lori.Smith@eu.dodea.edu by answering the following questions:
1. Where do you work and what do you teach/do?
2. Do you wish a single or double room? If double, please indicate the name of the person you wish to share the room with.
3. Have you attended any Germany Today conferences in the past? (Attendance at previous seminars is NOT a prerequisite.)
*You will receive an answer within 48 hours during work days. (If not please re-contact)
For your planning purposes - the next Germany Today Seminar is:
**April 21-23 "The influence of media on our decision-making, thinking and on our children
9. Quote for the Week: If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.---Wayne Dyer
10. An Interesting Fact: An English person from 2013 could not understand an English person from 1300 without a translator. ---from 1339 Facts to Make Your Jaw Drop
Have a GREAT WEEKEND!
FEA Europe West Area Director
Isles, Wiesbaden, Stuttgart, Cuba