March 13, 2019 FEA Europe Update
13 March 2019
1. Excess Placement
2. Personal Identity Verification CAC
3. 2020 Awards for Teaching Excellence
4. Mark Your Calendar
5. Printable Posters for Women's History Month
6. Area Director's Travels
1. Excess Placement -- As you read this Connie Shanaghan and I are working on the excess placement of excess teachers in the FEA Europe area. Please check FEA online for up to the minute information.
2. Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Authentication certificate -- Many have seen the AFN commercial about getting a new certificate for you CAC. This must be done by 31 March, and is because the military is adding another layer of cyber security. The information has been sent out, but seems to be having difficulty getting to schools/teachers, therefore I have attached a PowerPoint here to help you update your certificate if needed. It takes only a few minutes and has one place where it is a bit sticky when inputting your PIN, but still relatively easy. The PowerPoint ATTACHED was developed by Allen Mitchell Rusch an AT from Grafenwoehr. Here is the announcement from the Army:
"Army Common Access Card (CAC) holders have until March 31, 2019 to activate their Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Authentication certificate to ensure uninterrupted access to military networks and data. Mandated by the DoD, the Army CAC Certificate Reduction and Realignment Plan modifies the certificates on the CAC to streamline authentication functions under one certificate, increasing interoperability across the DoD and other U.S. federal government agencies to seamlessly integrate system access and information sharing. Approximately two-thirds of all Army CAC holders will be required to activate their PIV authentication certificate. Users should use Internet Explorer when updating their security certificates at: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/self_service/. Instructions for activating the PIV certificate are on the website."
3. 2020 Awards for Teaching Excellence - Attached you will find the guidelines for nomination for this award. The attached Word file contains info about how individuals can nominate themselves to be FEA's candidate for the 2020 NEA Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence, which will be presented in February of 2020. As always, FEA has the option of submitting one name for consideration as our state nominee. The NEA Foundation then makes its award selections based on nominations submitted by the NEA state affiliates. If you are interested you need to submit your nomination form and application by APRIL 1, 2019 to FEA headquarters. email@example.com
4. Mark Your Calendar
March 1-31 -- Women's History Month
March 14 -- National PI Day
March 15 -- Ides of March (first day of the Roman New Year)
March 17 -- St. Patrick's Day
March 25-29 -- Spring Break for Hohenfels, Grafenwoehr, Netzaberg, Vilseck Schools
5. Printable Posters for Women's History Month -- Here you can find printable posters for the upcoming Women's History Month. https://www.amightygirl.com/blog?p=19631 A great way to start off a great month honoring women!
6. Area Director's Travels -- I was recently at a great evening with the Spangdahlm Education Association, and I am currently at the excess placements 10 March to 22 March. During the excess placement I will have little access to email, however, you can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's up.