February 7, 2011 FEA Europe Update1. Transfers
2. DoDEA Schools
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. European Sports
6. Association Day
7. Kids on the Move
9. St. Valentines Day
10. Random Acts
11. Mark Your Calendar
1. Transfers -- Above is what many have been waiting for, hot off the press.
2. DoDEA Schools -- This link http://www.dodea.edu/datacenter/schools.cfm will lead you to information for every DoDEA school. It is interesting in and of itself but could be very helpful as you decide on transfer options.
3. Area Directors' Travels -- After visiting Rainbow ES and Grafenwohr ES I now have visited 34 of the 35 schools in my Area. There are some that I hope to get back to quickly. The only school that I have not visited yet is Garmisch, but who would want to go there ? J Chuck is visiting the schools in England all this week so excuse him if he is a little slow to answer emails.
4. European Sports - Over the next few weeks the European Finals will be held for several high school sports. As a former DoDDS coach I know that this is an exciting time for both coaches and players alike. Our coaches are very hard working and deserve lots off credit. If you are free and in the area you might want to check out one of the tournaments listed below:
Boys and Girls Basketball Feb. 23 -- 26 Mannheim
Wrestling Feb. 18 -- 19 Wiesbaden
Rifle Teams completed their Europeans on Jan. 29. Congratulations to Hohenfels HS !
Check Stars and Stripes as the tournaments get closer for exact times.
5. Information -- With all the information that will be coming out over the next few weeks please remember again that your best source for official information is www.feaonline.org It will include all transfer information updates.
6. Association Day -- Please continue to keep April 30 on your calendar. It is certainly worth planning to attend FEA Europe's 2011 Association Day in Wiesbaden. We are planning a full and informative day, including an address from NEA Secretary Treasurer Becky Pringle. Also joining us will be Jerry Newberry, Executive Director of the NEA Health Information Network, as well as our own HT Nguyen, Michael Priser, Jan & Bill Freeman, and our FEA Europe leaders. Plan now to attend!
7. Kids on the Move -- Interesting reading. It appears once again that DoDEA bucks the trend. Our students move more than any group of students anywhere in the States and yet we have consistently good test scores and higher than average graduation rates.
8. Deadlines -- Please note that the deadline for transfer applications is February 25.
9. St. Valentine's Day - February 14 is of course St. Valentine's Day. It is a day that students (and greeting card companies) really seem to enjoy. To take advantage of their enthusiasm you will find attached a web site with a large number of activities designed for all age groups.
10. Random Acts -- Next week is Random Acts of Kindness Week. What a wonderful name for a week even though it is a shame to restrict it to one week. The attachment tells you more.
11. Mark Your Calendars -
February 14 Valentine's Day
February 21 President's Day
March 2 Read Across America Day
12. Update - The next Update will be out on February 16.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051