February 6, 2013 FEA Europe Update
1. National School Counseling Week
2. From Our Members
3. Excused Absences
4. Retirement Articles
5. Retiree To-Do List
6. Federal Furlough
7. JCC Minutes
9. Summer Storage in lieu of LQA
10. Black History Month
11. The Cat in the Hat is Back
1. National School Counseling Week: Please take time during this week to honor our school counselors who work so hard for our students.
2. From Our Members: If you have something you would like to share, please pass it along to either Alex or me and if possible, we will include it in our updates.
3. Excused Absences: According to Article 22 of the Negotiated Agreement, the Employer shall excuse a unit employee from duty without loss of pay and without charge to leave when such actions require the presence of the unit employee and cannot be accomplished outside the duty day for a variety of reasons. These include the packing or receipt of household goods, shipment or receipt of shipment of a POV, movement to new quarters when the move is directed by a Government agency, to seek medical attention when injured on the job, conducting official business of a personal nature with military offices, conducting business with official offices and utility companies of the employee's host nation. (This information may be found in its entirety in Article 22, Section 1 of the Negotiated Agreement.)
4. Retirement Information: I have included several articles from www.myfederalretirement.com. This is a free newsletter intended for the use of federal employees. Visit the website to sign up to have this newsletter delivered directly to you.
6. Federal Furlough: Be sure to check www.feaonline.org, regularly from your home computer. FEA will post news related to the possible furlough of Federal employees as soon as it is available.
7. JCC Minutes: Minutes from the January JCC meeting with the Area Office are attached. Included is the most recent school closure/realignment information, as well as construction updates.
8. VERA/VSIP: We are still waiting for the official announcement of VERA/VSIP. This information will be posted as soon as it is available.
9. Summer Storage in lieu of LQA: Many of you have asked for guidance related to placing your household goods in storage during the summer recess period. I have attached a document outlining the steps in this process. Thank you to Jameelah Arcila, Isles District Customer Service Representative for providing this information.
10. February is Black History Month: FEA encourages you to celebrate Black History Month by honoring the many African American artists, athletes, educators, and other icons who have contributed so much to America's history. Follow this link to Black History Month resources provided by the National Education Association.
11. The Cat in the Hat is Back!: "Grab your Hat and Read with the Cat"--return to the beloved Dr. Seuss tale of mischief and celebrate the joy of reading across the nation on Friday, March 1, this year's official NEA's Read Across America Day.
About NEA's Read Across America
The National Education Association is building a nation of readers through its signature program, NEA's Read Across America. Now in its 16th year, this year-round program focuses on motivating children and teens to read through events, partnerships, and reading resources.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read with a child."
Have a great week!
Lisa Garmon Ali
FEA Europe Area Director
PSC 41 Box 5569
APO AE 09464
Tel: 44-1638527662 (outside UK)