February 3 2016 FEA Europe Update
1. VERA/VSIP and Transfers
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. NEA Foundation Award
4. IRS Forms and Publications
5. Area JCC
7. Black History Month
8. NEA Representative Assembly Election
9. 100th Day of School
10. NEA's Read across America
11. Mark Your Calendar
12. Injury on the Job
13. Member Benefits
15. DoDDS Reunion
16. Fun with Math
17. Breaking News about Spring
18. Stars & Stripes Article
1. VERA/VSIP and Transfers -- The latest information was included in the FEA President's Report of January 31 which can be found at www.feaonline.org To summarize, the transfer program is up and running as of January 29, and is anticipated to last around 10 days, or maybe longer. Having sat on the transfer round before I can tell you that it is a tedious and meticulous process, designed to make sure that it is done correctly at all stages. The report also indicates that by now all 50 of the VSIP's have been offered, thus ending the program. The only possibility of additional VSIP/VERA may be after the transfer round is completed, to help place excessed educators who could not be placed in the transfer round. If such offers are made, the offers would be based upon teaching category matches to help place those excessed educators, not upon the SCDs of VSIP/VERA applicants.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- I will be on the road beginning on February 10, culminating in Sembach on February 12 for the Area JCC. I am still working on some possible school visits earlier that week.
3. NEA Foundation Award -- Each year the NEA Foundation Awards for Teaching Excellence recognizes educators whose professional practice and advocacy for the profession are exemplary. All state affiliates, including FEA, are allowed to nominate one candidate a year (we are looking for a nominee for 2016 -- our 2015 nominee is John Crowe of Feltwell ES) for this prestigious award. The application is attached and needs to be returned to your Area Director no later than April 1. For further information on this go to: https://www.neafoundation.org/pages/nea-foundation-awards/ and also to https://www.neafoundation.org/content/assets/2012/11/Flyer%20for%20promoting%20nominations%20in%20your%20state.pdf
4. IRS Forms and Publications -- As tax season approaches, this site has all of the forms and publications that you will need to complete your 2015 tax filing. Most can be done electronically. Also, be aware that most military installations offer tax services for civilians at no cost--check with legal office on your base/post.
5. Area JCC -- The date for the next Area JCC (February) in Sembach has been set for February 12 at 1100. Attached are the minutes of the December meeting.
6. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. The next Update will be the President's Report on February 12. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
7. Black History Month -- Begun in 1926 by black scholar and historian Carter G. Woodson, Black History Month was originally celebrated as a weeklong event. In 1976, Congress expanded the observance to the entire month of February. You can find more useful information about this topic at http://www.history.com/topics/black-history/black-history-month .
9. 100th Day of School -- Some schools might be past this day, some almost right on it, and others a week or two away. However, all schools in Europe are somewhere around 100 days at this moment. If you go to http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/100th-day-of-school.html you will find a number of resources that you can use with your class, courtesy of the NEA.
10.NEA's Read Across America - Though literacy and reading are a focus all year long, many DoDDS-E schools are gearing up for their annual celebration of reading and Dr. Seuss' birthday. The official day is March 2nd, but whatever day you plan to celebrate, go to http://www.nea.org/grants/886.htm for all the information and resources available for this great event.
11. Mark Your Calendar-
February 14 -- Valentine's Day
February 28 -- President's Day (Federal Holiday)
February 1 -- 29 -- Black History Month
March 2 -- NEA's Read across America Day
12. Injury on the job: Should you be injured while on the job or school property (parking lot, sidewalks, steps) please make sure your supervisor is notified, the proper forms are filled out and the Nurse has it in their log. With some of the interesting weather that we experience in the winter here, it is especially good advice.
13. Member Benefits -- Members often forget the multitude of benefits that are at their disposal. Everything from credit cards, saving plans, online courses, various insurances, etc. Check out the full range of these benefits at www.neamb.com .
As most of you are aware, it is now Fasching, or Carnival, Season in Europe.
Many cities host large raucous parades, parties, and special events. If there
are events planned in your area you should check them out. They mostly will
center around the days of February 5 through the 8. The 8th is known as Rosa
Montag and is the traditional end, with Wednesday, February 22 being Ash
15. DoDDS Reunion--The annual DoDDS reunion will be held July 14-July 17, 2016 in Spokane, Washington at The Oak Brook Marriot Hotel. For registration information go to: http://www.mydoddsreunion.com/index.html .Register early as prices go up as the event gets closer.
16. Fun With Math - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvQNybQO6E4
17. Breaking News About Spring - http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/no-shadow-pennsylvania-groundhog-predicts-early-spring/ar-BBp19l8?li=BBnbfcL
18. Stars & Stripes Article -- The Stars & Stripes published the following story on February 1. It is worth reading if you have not yet done so. http://www.stripes.com/dod-requesting-3-000-5-000-more-troops-for-europe-in-fy17-budget-1.391680
19. New Superintendent -- Congratulations to Dr. Liz Dunham, current Superintendent of the Bavaria District, on being named the Superintendent of the new DoDEA Europe East District. This new District is part of the DoDEA Transformation and will encompass essentially the old Bavarian and Kaiserslautern Districts. We look forward to working closely with Dr. Dunham for the benefit of all stakeholders. The formal announcement is attached.
FEA Europe Area Director