February 23 2011 FEA Europe Report1. Transfers
2. Women's History Month
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. Read Across America
5. Member Benefits
6. Guantanamo Bay
7. Association Day
9. Retirees and Vacancies
11. Mark Your Calendar
1. Transfers -- A reminder that all transfer information can be found at www.feaonline.org This is your best source for official information and includes many useful tips and FAQ. Also online this month is the latest edition of the Journal.
2. Women's History Month -- Next month, March, which starts before the next Update, is Women's History Month. Since 1910, March 8 has been observed as International Women's Day by people around the world. Thus, March was chosen for National Women's History Month in the United States. The link will provide you with many useful tools to celebrate this month, including lesson plans. ( Hold control and click ) www.nea.org/tools/16093.htm
3. Area Directors' Travels -- This week on Thursday I will be at Vogelweh ES and on Friday at the Kaiserslautern schools. On March 1 both Chuck and I will be in Wiesbaden at the Area JCC. On Tuesday, Chuck will be taking part in the Read Across America program by reading at both Wiesbaden schools. I will be doing the same in Vilseck.
4. Read Across America -- As mentioned, March 2 is Read Across America. Attached is a link that gives many interesting ideas for celebrating the event. We would like to strongly encourage those who can to take part in this special day. I will be reading from Dr. Seuss is a first grade classroom -- hope the words aren't too big for me!
5. Member Benefits -- Members often forget the multitude of benefits that are at their disposal. Everything from credit cards, saving plans, online courses, various insurances, etc. Check out the full range of these benefits at www.neamb.com
6. Guantanamo Bay -- In the fall Area Director Chuck McCarter visited our members at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The article in the link that follows was written during this trip and talks about life as a DoDEA teacher in Cuba. (Hold control and click to open) http://www.nea.org/home/42231.htm?utm_medium=email&utm_source=nea_today_express&utm_campaign=20110216ProtectingEducators&utm_content=Gitmo
7. Association Day -- Another reminder that Association Day will be held on Saturday, April 30, in Wiesbaden. The keynote speaker will be NEA Secretary/Treasurer Becky Pringle. I have had the pleasure to hear her speak and it is a great experience. Her biography is attached.
8. Deadlines -- A reminder that the deadline for submitting your transfer application is February 25. The transfer round will begin on March 14 and proceed until finished. FEA as always will have people at the table.
9. Retirees and Vacancies -- Attention FRS's: If you hear of any late retirements or anything that will create another vacancy at your school, please let your District Representative know as soon as possible. With the transfer round starting soon we want to make sure that we keep the vacancy list updated.
10. Art -- If you teach art or just enjoy it, I think you will like the page to which this link will take you. It is a joint project between Google and the Metropolitan Museum of Art that I discovered while reading the International Herald Tribune. www.googleartproject.com/museums/met
11. Mark Your Calendars -
February 25 -- Transfer Applications due
March 1 -- 31 -- Women's History Month
March 1 -- Area JCC
March 14 -18 -- DoDEA BoD meeting, Washington
March 17 -- St. Patrick's Day
12. Update - The next Update will be out on March 2.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051