February 2, 2011 FEA Europe Update1. Staffing Documents
4. A Note to FRS's & FR's
5. EEO Questions and Concerns
6. NEA's "Read Across America"
7. 100th Day!
8. Teaching with Maps
9. February Celebrations
10. Healthy Kids
11. FEA Nominee
12. Association Day
13. Area Directors' Travels
14. President's Report
15. Mark Your Calendars
1. Staffing Documents -- Late last week, staffing documents finally began arriving in schools. This is often a very stressful time in our schools. FRS's should work with your principals to see how this working document impacts your current staff, and what vacancies or excesses may result. Remember, principals must ask for volunteers before declaring any excess teachers. If you have questions, contact your District Rep. FEA will work to ensure that any excessing is done in accordance with our contract and MOU's and that all vacancies are accurately reported for the Transfer Program.
2. Transfers - We teach our students about the four seasons, but teachers know that there is a 5th season as well, Transfer Season! As of today, we are still waiting on the release of the transfer program information for this year. For the latest news, and BEST information and guidance, go to www.feaonline.org.
Members, please remember to send your transfer questions to Connie Shanaghan, our "Transfer Guru." Connie has been working with the transfer program for many years and is well versed in the complicated issues and questions surrounding transfers. Members who have questions can contact Connie by writing to FEAAdmin@nea.org. Put "Attention: Connie" or "Transfer Question" in the subject line and copy your District Rep and Area Director as well.
Connie's "Tips for Transfers" will be available on the FEA website. You will need your membership number to log in to this portion of the website.
Speaking of websites, when the Transfer Application site is opened, please let your Area Director know if you encounter problems with the site or application.
If you are an FEA member, you will also have the advantage of FEA's Transfer Application Verification Service. Watch for more information about that in upcoming Updates and publications.
3. Vacancies -- One of the most important things FRS's can do is to insure that vacancies are correctly reported. When staffing has been determined for your school for next year, please let your District Rep know of vacancies which should be reported for your school. FEA will work to ensure that these are available for District Placement Rounds and the World Wide Transfer Program.
4. A Note to FRS's & FR's -- Please remember to check your e-mail and your Post Office Box as often as possible for the latest information and mailings. Also, don't forget to enlist help in distributing and collecting information and materials.
5. EEO Questions and Concerns -- If you have questions or concerns about EEO issues, please contact:
William Suddeth -- DMEO Officer for DoDDS-Europe, DSN 338-7561 or Robin Jamison, EEO Counselor, DSN 338-7558. Both are available in the Outlook Global Directory.
6. NEA's "Read Across America" -- It's just a month away…the biggest reading celebration in the world. For lots of ideas on how your school can take part in the fun and help to create lifelong readers, go to http://www.nea.org/grants/886.htm. Remember, this is NOT just for elementary schools; there are materials and ideas for all levels. This is also a great time to reach out to parents and involve them in a fun, positive, and educational way.
7. 100th Day! -- In many of our ES's, the 100th day of school is cause for celebration and a great teaching opportunity. For more information and resources to make this a fun "teachable moment" go to: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/Celebrate%20the%20100th%20Day%20of%20School.htm.
8. Teaching with Maps -- This link takes you to a variety of map activities for all grades: http://www.nea.org/tools/teaching-with-maps.html.
9. February Celebrations -- To help you integrate Black History Month into your classroom, NEA offers a selection of lesson plans that cover a variety of subjects and that can be adapted to fit multiple grade levels. http://www.nea.org/tools/black-history-month.htm. Also, this month is Library Lover's Month. During this month, we celebrate libraries of all types and work to ensure that they will continue to serve. http://www.librarysupport.net/librarylovers/
10. Healthy Kids -- One more website tip: This website gives fitness tips for kids, healthy recipes, etc. It might be a good one for classroom use or for sharing in parent newsletters, etc. http://kidnetic.com/. Thanks to Connie Shanaghan in our DC office for this one.
11. FEA Nominee -- FEA's Nominee for the NEA Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence, Sally Jones of Wiesbaden MS, is headed to Washington DC soon. She will be honored along with the nominees from the other state associations at the Salute to Excellence in Education Gala to be held February 11. It is wonderful to see one of our many great DoDEA teachers honored like this.
12. Association Day -- While April 30 seems like a long way off, it is certainly worth planning to attend FEA Europe's 2011 Association Day in Wiesbaden. We are planning a full and informative day, including an address from NEA Secretary Treasurer Becky Pringle. Also joining us will be Jerry Newberry, Executive Director of the NEA Health Information Network, as well as our own HT Nguyen, Michael Priser, Jan & Bill Freeman, and our FEA Europe leaders. Plan now to attend!
13. Area Directors' Travels -- This week, Alex will be at Rainbow ES on Thursday and we will be in meetings at the Area Office on Friday. Next week, I will be in England, visiting schools in Croughton, Lakenheath, Feltwell, and Alconbury. Please excuse any delay in responding to your e-mails when we are out of our offices.
14. President's Report -- Did you see Michael Priser's February 1 President's Report? If not, you are missing important information. (www.feaonline.org) The current one contains information about CAC Cards and other issues.
15. Mark Your Calendars!
February 21 - Presidents' Day
March 2 - Read Across America
April 14 - Poem in Your Pocket Day (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/406)
April 28, 29 - European Area Council, Wiesbaden
April 30 - FEA Europe Association Day, Wiesbaden
Thanks for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
0611-44756131 or DSN 335-5373/69