February 11 2009 FEA Europe Update1. Transfers
3. RA Delegates
4. Best Practices
5. Retiring Members
6. Retirement Website
7. FERS Annuity Supplement
8. IT Issues/Excent
9. NEA's Read Across America
10. Earth Day
11. Black History Month
12. Summer Workshop Offerings
13. Area Director Travels
14. Area JCC
1. Transfers - Please remember to send your transfer questions to Connie Shanaghan, our "Transfer Guru." Connie has been working with the transfer program for many years and is well versed in the complicated issues and questions surrounding transfers. Members who have questions can contact Connie by going to the Global Outlook address list and selecting "FEA Admin/Comm". (Don't look for Connie by name on the Global list!) Put "Attention: Connie" or "Transfer Question" in the subject line and copy your District Rep as well.
Connie's "Tips for Transfers" is up on the FEA website. Here is the link to the entrance to that page. You will need your membership number to login.
If you are an FEA member, we hope you will take advantage of FEA's Transfer Application Verification Service. If you mail (address below), fax (202-822-7867), or email ("FEA Admin" on the DoDEA Outlook email) a copy of your application to us, we will verify that your application is included in the Transfer Program. PLEASE SEND ONLY THE FINAL VERSION OF YOUR TRANSFER APPLICATION. The Deadline for receipt of your final application is March 13, 2008.
Our address is…
ATTN: Transfer Verification
1201 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
PLEASE NOTE: submitting a copy of your application to FEA for monitoring does not mean you have applied for the Transfer Program. To participate in the Transfer Program you must submit your official transfer program application and any amendments via the DoDEA Web site. Once you are sure you will make no more changes, you should then send a COPY of your FINAL application to FEA for monitoring.
If you are an FEA member and have any questions, please feel free to contact Connie Shanaghan at the "FEA.Admin/Comm" Outlook address or by fax (202-822-7867).
Also please note the DoDDS schools spreadsheet attached. This was created by FEA member, David E. Brown, Sigonella MS/HS. This may be helpful in considering schools for your transfer applications. (The link for enrollment is active if you click on "enroll" at the top.)
2. Staffing/Excesses/Vacancies - FRS's: Please continue to work with your principal on matters related to staffing, excessing and the reporting of vacancies. As noted in the Friday Packet (Feb 6th) vacancies CANNOT have more than three categories. It is MANDATORY that ALL vacancies be reported. If you have questions or concerns about any of these matters, please contact your District Representative.
3. RA Delegates - FRS's: Please be on the lookout for the RA Delegate ballots for your members...they should be coming to you soon.
4. Best Practices - Don't forget - if you have a "Best Practice" in use in your school or local association, please send it to me. From time to time I would like to run those in my Updates.
5. Retiring Members - FRS's: If you will send a list of your retiring members to Chris Havlik, via Outlook, we will forward that to FEA HQ so that those members can receive a certificate in appreciation of their service and membership.
6. Retirement Website - Speaking of retirement, here is a link to an OPM website that might be useful. I have not had time to check it all out, but did check to insure that it is active. http://www.opm.gov/retire/
7. FERS Annuity Supplement - I have attached information for our members who are under the FERS system. For further information, contact your HR specialist.
8. IT Issues/Excent - The Association continues to hear the concerns of our members about the impact of technology problems as well as the on going issues surrounding Excent OnLine. Please continue to forward specific issues through the proper channels as well as informing your District Reps and Area Directors.
9. NEA's Read Across America - For your Read Across America celebration plans and resources, log onto www.nea.org/readacross
10. Earth Day - Many of our schools promote environmental awareness by celebrating Earth Day. This year the date is Wednesday, April 22nd. Following the success of "Read Across America", organizers are now planning the first-ever "Lorax Project Student Earth Day". For information and resources, go to www.thelorax.com
11. Black History Month - Looking for resources or lessons for Black History Month? Try any of the following: ASALH.org or NEA.org or Tolerance.org
12. Summer Workshop Offerings - I have already received a number of emails with concerns about the lack of offerings for the Summer Workshop program. We will share those with FEA HQ since that program comes out of HQ.
13. Area Director Travels - Last week I had a great visit at AFNORTH and Geilenkirchen ES, including a dinner meeting with both schools. Thanks to all of those who made my visit so pleasant and productive. John will be conducting more local leaders training at Ramstein HS training on Feb 21st and in the Bitburg/Spangdahlem on Feb 28th, both start at 10:00.
14. Area JCC - The next Area JCC meeting will be Feb. 17th in Wiesbaden. We will get the minutes out as soon as possible after the meeting.
Thanks for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel/Fax: 0611-44756234 or
0611-44756131 or DSN 337-6251