February 10 2010 FEA Europe Update1. Excessing, Staffing, Transfers, etc.
2. Area Directors' Travel
3. FEA HQ
4. What's Wrong With This Picture?
5. NEA's Read Across America
6. Free Things for February
7. School Construction
8. Unity Mailing and Election Materials
9. HCR/EEO Workshop
10. Important Dates
11. Happy Valentine's Day!
1. Excessing, Staffing, Transfers, etc. - It is always very stressful in schools where excesses occur. FRS's should work closely with the Principal to insure that this is done fairly and correctly. FRS's - if you have questions or concerns, please contact your District Representative. For any educators who are declared excess by your administration, please consult with your District Rep for questions about District Placements, or you can contact FEAAdmin@nea.org for questions concerning the World Wide Transfer Program. Don't forget that this Friday is the deadline to submit applications for the Transfer Program. Your application can be amended up until March 3rd, but it must be submitted by Friday.
For the best information and most up to date news, go to www.feaonline.org.
2. Area Directors' Travel - Last week, in spite of the bad weather, I was able to visit the four schools in the Stuttgart area and hold two afterschool meetings. Thanks to all the FRS's and members who helped to facilitate my visit and who took time to speak with me. This week John is visiting schools in the Grafenwoehr and Vilseck area. Visiting schools often means that we get a little behind on our e-mails, so please be patient.
3. FEA HQ - Speaking of bad weather, as you probably know, the Washington DC area has been hit by a massive snow storm. During this time, our FEA office there may not be able to keep normal hours. But, our hard working staff is still (when they have electricity...) checking e-mail, etc. as often as possible. Please be patient if you have written or called and have not yet received a response.
4. What's Wrong With This Picture? Why do we still have teachers whose pay is deducted without any notice or explanation? I still receive calls and emails concerning teachers whose pay has been deducted in violation of the Debt Collection Act. In addition, Bill Freeman, our UniServ attorney and pay expert, receives calls regularly from retired members who receive debt letters or have their retirement pay reduced illegally. Please keep careful track of your pay and entitlements and if you notice unexplained/incorrect reductions or if you receive a debt letter, please contact your Association leaders.
5. NEA's Read Across America - March 2nd is coming up quickly! This annual event is definitely NOT only for Elementary Schools. NEA provides resources for all grade levels as well as for parents, etc. Go to www.nea.org/readacross for suggestions, materials, and ideas on how to promote literacy and a love of reading on March 2nd and all year long.
6. Free Things for February - The NEA website also has a wealth of other information, including a number of free resources for subjects from Civics to Science. Click here for resources and lessons on Black History Month.
7. School Construction - On Monday Stars & Stripes ran an article on new construction for DoDDS-E schools. If you did not see it, here is the link.
8. Unity Mailing and Election Materials - FRS's: If you have not received the January Unity or the European Election materials, please contact my office.
9. HCR/EEO Workshop - On Feb 20th, there will be an EEO Workshop sponsored by FEA Europe HCR. The location is Mannheim MIDDLE School (10-1, lunch provided) The site was reported incorrectly in an earlier message. DIRECTIONS: The GPS address is Birkenauerstrasse 21, Mannheim 68309. The main gate is off Birkenauerstrasse (Benjamin Franklin Village). Go through the main gate and bear right. This will lead to Washingtonstrasse. Turn right by building 704. Mannheim Middle School is Building 184.
William Suddeth, EEO Program Manager for DODDS-Europe, will be on hand to answer your questions. Many members have signed up, but there is still space available. Don't miss this excellent opportunity. For further information, contact Nancy Almendras.
10. Important Dates - Mark your calendars!
Feb 12 - Deadline to submit Transfer Application (see item above)
Feb 20 - HCR/EEO Workshop - Heidelberg District - Nancy Almendras, POC
March 2 - NEA's Read Across America - http://www.nea.org/readacross
March 3 - Deadline to amend Transfer Application
March 4 - Deadline to submit Transfer Application to FEA for verification
March 20 - HCR/EEO Workshop - Bavaria District - Linda Callender, POC
11. Happy Valentine's Day! - Here's wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day and Presidents' Day as well. Valentine's Day is a great time to remember to thank your FRS for all the work they do all year. Enjoy your long weekend.
Thank you for all you do.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel/Fax: 0611-44756234 or
0611-44756131 or DSN: 335- 5373/5369