December 7 2017 FEA Europe Update
7 December, 2017
1. Transfer Questions/Deadlines
2. FEA Nominations/Names
3. Open Season
4. Area Director's Travels
5. California Teacher's Site
6. Winter Solstice
7. Pearl Harbor Day Info
8. Mark Your Calendar
9. Holiday Travel Tips
10. Withdrawals from TSP site
11. HCR Newsletter
1. TRANSFER QUESTIONS/DEADLINES --The deadline to submit a transfer application is December 15th. If you have submitted questions regarding your eligibility and have not yet received an answer, be sure to submit an application by the deadline. Your application can be withdrawn or modified until January 9th, 2018. New applications cannot be added after December 15th. (from the president's report) The "Tips for Transfers" from Connie Shanaghan is very helpful and can be found at www.feaonline.org on the first page. You must sign in with your number and name in order to read them. I know that this is a stressful time in schools where there is concern about excessing, but FEA will be working at all levels to ensure that staffing and excessing procedures are followed correctly.
2. Members Nominated for FEA Offices for SY 18-19 in Europe East 1, 2, and Europe West
Division Representative EE1
Dr. Susan Kelly
Division Representative EE2
Division Representative EEW
Division EE1 Human & Civil Rights
Division EE2 Human & Civil Rights
Division EEW Human & Civil Rights
John C. Crowe
Europe Human & Civil Rights
FEA Representative to the NEA Representative Assembly
3. Open Season -- Open season starts November 14 and runs through December 12. It seems as with everything, health premiums will increase. According to the OPM website premiums will increase an average of 4.4%. This site will give you the premium prices of health insurance for federal employees like us. Click here for those rates.
4. Area Director's Travels -- I will be In Kaiserslautern from 11-16 December for a JCC with Dr. McMullen as well as school visits to Sembach ES/MS and the Kaiserslautern complex. If there is any ‘Breaking News' I will distribute it as quickly as possible. Visiting the FEA website at www.FEAonline.org will give you up to the moment information.
5. California Teacher Site -- CA Teachers Summit is an organization that has many good references for teacher driven PD and it is an annual conference for teachers - run by teachers. It's worth a look to see what's happening as well as possibilities for professional development. Thanks to Melanie Horton, the Pacific Area Director for this site.
6. Winter Solstice -- This year the winter solstice (or hibernal solstice), also known as midwinter, begins on Thursday 21 December at 17:28 CET and 16:28 GMT, and is an astronomical phenomenon marking the day with the shortest period of daylight and the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
7. Pearl Harbor Day -- Pearl Harbor Day is observed annually in the United States on December 7, to remember and honor the 2,403 citizens of the United States who were killed in the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on December 7.
8. Mark Your Calendar
December 7 -- Pearl Harbor Day
December 12- End of Open Season
December 16--January 2 -- Winter Break for DoDDS
January 3 ---- School Resumes
January 15 -- Martin Luther King Holiday
January 18 -- Winnie the Pooh Day (The Birthday of Winnie's author A.A. Milne)
January 23 -- National Handwriting Day (re-introduce ourselves to a pen or pencil) also John Hancock's birthday
February 2 --- Ground Hog Day
9. Holiday Travels - For those of you traveling during the upcoming Winter Break it's a good idea to make sure you have copies of all your passports and other important documents stored separately from the originals. Make sure you have up-to-date contact information in your wallet or purse in the event of an accident, etc. You may want to include local contact information as well as stateside contacts. It is also a good idea to let a colleague know your travel plans and contact numbers in case of emergency.
10. Update on Withdrawals for TSP -- Congress approves wider withdrawal choices for Thrift Savings Plan investors - The Washington Post. This link will take you to the article that explains the choices and answers questions. Click here.
11. HCR Update - This issue contains an update on the Diversity in Hiring workgroup, what the big deal is about pronouncing student names correctly, and contact information for HCR advocates. December HCR newsletter
FEA Europe Area Director