November 8 2017 FEA Europe Update
8 November, 2017
1. Staffing Documents
2. FEA Elections
3. Open Season
4. Area Director's Travels
5. Inspirational Story
6. Noise Control Ideas
7. Veteran's Day Info
8. Mark Your Calendar
9. Holiday Season
10. HCR News and Newsletter site
1. Staffing Documents -- Staffing documents are now arriving in the schools. When they are received in the schools, the FRS should work with the principal to compare these to the current year's staffing documents in order to see the changes and impact of those changes. If there are problems or mistakes in these documents, principals will need to contact their District Superintendents Office to address those concerns. It is also a good idea to have principals explain their usage of staff in accordance with the necessary and mandatory programs for the school. FRS's should also contact their District Reps. Please remember that these are working documents and there may be changes that are necessary. I know that this is a stressful time in schools where there is concern about excessing, but FEA will be working at all levels to ensure that staffing and excessing procedures are followed correctly.
2. Election for FEA Offices for SY 18-19 --- The nomination forms for the Division Representative and Division HCR Representative of Europe West, Europe East 1, Europe East 2, as well as All Europe HCR Representative, and NEA Representative Assembly (RA) are attached with this update. The information should be clear in these attachments, however, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to write to me at this email or call the phone number listed in the FEA calendar. This link will take you to the timeline for these elections posted on the FEA website. These nomination forms are to be ‘received by' December 1, so do not delay.
3. Open Season -- Open season starts November 14 and runs through December 12. It seems as with everything, things will increase. According to the OPM Web site premiums will increase an average of 4.4%. This site will give you the premium prices of health insurance for federal employees like us.
4. Area Director's Travels --- I will be at the FEA Board of Directors meeting is 6-9 November. Afterward I will be traveling to Spangdahlm on 13 November and then to Hohenfels on 16 November. The Next JCC for the area will be 13 December. If there is any ‘Breaking News' I will distribute it as quickly as possible. Visiting the FEA website at www.FEAonline.org will give you up to the moment information.
5. Engineer to Teacher --- From an engineer to a teacher doesn't seem like a big jump, and it wasn't for Nick Gattuso a computer science teacher at Point Pleasant Borough High School in New Jersey. He is using his background to teach students to make apps for special needs students. You can read more at this site , and possibly get ideas for your own classroom.
6. Noise control Ideas -- Works4Me is a NEA publication with ideas for the classroom. This article gives tips, strategies, and ideas about how to control noise in the classroom as well as other places in a school. Elementary teachers in DoDDS use some of these already, but they show you here how to use them for all levels. Click here.
7. Veterans Day --- On November 11, we honor the wartime service and sacrifice of men and women in the armed forces. Originally proclaimed Armistice Day in 1919 to commemorate the end of World War I, it was renamed Veterans Day in 1954 to include American veterans of all wars. For lessons, activities, games, and resources that will help your students celebrate service men and women past and present, go to this link (From the President's Report)
8. Mark Your Calendar
November 5 -- Daylight Savings Time Ends (United States)
November 11 - Veterans Day
November 13 - 17 American Education Week (For art work, posters, and more information on how to celebrate the great work our schools do, go to this site)
November 13 -- World Kindness Day
November 14 - December 12 Open Season
November 20 -- Universal Children's Day
November 23 -- Thanksgiving Holiday
Congratulation to all teams and schools that competed in the championships this past weekend, and for more information go to this link.
9. Holiday Season -- It is a time of the year to be much enjoyed, with festive markets, great music, and delicious seasonal foods. However, you also need to look after yourself and your colleagues at this time. Students can be very active as the holiday season approaches. Therefore it's important to have the patience of a teacher, but the observance of an eagle. Enjoy the season and everything that goes with it, but don't let your guard down.
10. HCR Newsletter and Update --- This issue contains information about our upcoming diversity in hiring,meetings, Welcoming Schools resources, HCR Awards nominations, and contact information for HCR advocates. You can find the information at this link. Thanks to member and FEA HCR World Wide Coordinator Alina Rozanski for this information.
FEA Europe Area Director