November 7, 2018 FEA Europe Update
7 November 2018
1. Open Season
2. Article about Taxation of Civilians
3. Election info for NEA RA
4. Deadlines for Mailing packages
5. NEA benefit of free life insurance
6. FEA Stateside Contract
7. American Education Week
8. Mark Your Calendar
9. Veteran's Day Activities
10. Ed Travel Information
11. NEA Today Article about DoDDS
12. Area Director's Travel
1. Open Season -- Open season for changes in insurance etc. starts Monday November 12, 2018 - Monday December 10, 2018, and there has been some questions about where to find EBIS. The site is not as easily accessible through the DoDEA website so I have included it here in case you need it. It is likely you will need to register as a new user, however, that is and easy task. I hope this will help you should you need to change any of your personal aspects in EBIS. Access EBIS here To get the most up-to-date information about the FEHB plans you can visit this site.
2. Article from Stars and Stripes about Taxation -- Read the June 2018 article here. You can also find more information on the FEA website, as it changes daily IF/WHEN congress is in session.
3. Election of NEA RA -- Nomination forms for the NEA Representative Assembly (RA) are attached with this update. The information should be clear in this attachment, however, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to write to me at this email address or call the phone number listed in the FEA calendar. These nomination forms are to be ‘received by' December 1, so do not delay.
4. Deadlines for mailing Packages for the Holidays:
27 NOVEMBER . . . SPACE AVAILABLE MAIL
11 DECEMBER . . . PRIORITY PARCELS
11 DECEMBER . . . FIRST CLASS LETTERS
17 DECEMBER . . . EXPRESS MAIL
5. NEA Benefit -- NEA offers ‘complimentary' life insurance to all members by simply registering at this site. You can also register your beneficiary immediately at this site. NEA Complimentary Life Insurance info. This is just another way NEA gives back to us.
6. FEA Stateside Contract -- At this writing many things have been resolved with the stateside (DDESS) contract. While there are many gives and takes, there are also pieces that could not be resolved. These parts have now gone to the FSIP for resolution. At this writing they have yet to be decided, however, checking the FEA website will give you up-to-date information about it.
7. American Education Week -- November 12 -16 is American Education week. Be proud to show how successful you are as educators and how our students excel in the rich learning environments you create. DoDEA schools are GREAT because of all of you supporting the mission to educate military connected students.
8. Mark Your Calendar-
November 5-9 FEA BoD meetings
November 6 -- Election Day, (hope it was good for Education)
November 12 -- Veterans Day
November 13-17 American Education Week (For art work, posters, and more information on how to celebrate the great work our schools do, go to this site)
November 13 -- World Kindness Day
November 12 -- December 10 Open Season
November 20 -- Universal Children's Day
November 22 -- Thanksgiving
9. Veterans Day -- On November 11, we honor the wartime service and sacrifice of men and women in the armed forces. Originally proclaimed Armistice Day in 1919 to commemorate the end of World War I, it was renamed Veterans Day in 1954 to include American veterans of all wars. For lessons, activities, games, and resources that will help your students celebrate service men and women past and present, go to this page.
10. ED Travel -- As it is ED travel time, please be reminded you still must go to TOPS first. It could take 10 days for that process to finish, and then it will be given to DTS for the dollar amount authorized. This will then give Sembach CTO what to work with in purchasing the tickets for your student to return to you.
11. Article in NEA Today -- A great article in NEA Today lists some of our great colleagues with the benefits and challenges of working in a foreign country as well as DoDEA. If you want to read it this link will take you there. The Bittersweet Experience of Teaching Overseas.
12. Area Director's Travels -- I am currently at the FEA BoD. You can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's up.