November 20 2012 FEA Europe Update1. This Week
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. DoDDS Reunion
4. Notice of Election
5. Inclement Weather
6. Inclusive Schools Week
7. Open Season
8. Mark Your Calendars
9. Advent Calendar
12. JCC Area November Minutes
13. LQA Rates
14. Holiday Wishes
1. This Week -- I am sending this Update out on Tuesday since it is a short 3 day week. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I send it out at 2 o'clock on the day before a 4 day weekend that no one will read it -- hence it goes out today !
2. Area Directors' Travels -- This week I will be mostly traveling to the dining room (repeatedly) to eat turkey and yams. Next week I will be visiting Ansbach ES and Ansbach HS on Thursday, November 29 . Lisa has just got back from visiting schools in Heidelberg and Wiesbaden.
3. DoDDS Reunion -- This year it will be held from July 18 until July 21 in Dallas, Texas, at the Marriot City Center Hotel. For registration information: www.doddsworldreunion.com . Members who have attended past events always comment on how nice it was to catch up with former colleagues.
4. Notice of Election - Please note that the November FEA Journal has announced Spring 2013 Election of Officers. You can also find further information at www.feaonline.org . The officers to be elected this spring include: FEA President, Vice President, Secretary/ Treasurer, FEA Director for NEA and FEA Human and Civil Rights Coordinator. In addition, there is one proposed amendment to the FEA Constitution. Please contact your FRS, District Rep, or AD for more information. Nomination forms must be postmarked by December 19, 2012 and can be found in the journal or online.
5. Inclement Weather - With winter arriving, FRS's should work with your principals to insure that the lines of communication are clear in case of school delays or closures. Please remember that the military commander makes the decision on weather related delays and closures. Attached is Article 22, Section 4 of the Negotiated Agreement which deals with school closures.
6 . Inclusive Schools Week - This year will be celebrated from December 3 to 7.This annual event, sponsored by the Inclusive Schools Network (ISN), celebrates the progress that schools have made in providing a supportive, quality education to students who are marginalized due to disability, gender, socioeconomic status, cultural heritage, language preference, and other factors. It provides an important opportunity for educators, students, and parents to discuss what else needs to be done to ensure that their schools continue to improve their ability to successfully educate all children.
7. Open Season -- The Federal Benefits Open Season is now open. Please be aware that it closes on December 10 and that will come quickly.
8. Mark Your Calendars --
November 1 -- 30 American Indian Heritage Month
November 22 -- Thanksgiving Day (the earliest date that it can ever occur)
November 25 -- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women (United Nations website)
December 3 -- 7 -- Inclusive Schools Week
December 10 -- Open Season Closes
9. Advent Calendar - An Advent Calendar is a special calendar used to count or celebrate the days in anticipation of Christmas. The days often overlap with the Christian season of Advent. Despite the name, most commercially available Advent Calendars begin on December 1, regardless of when Advent begins, which can be as early as November 27 and as late as December 3. Many take the form of a large rectangular card with "windows" of which there are usually 24: one for each day of December leading up to Christmas Day. One is opened every day leading up to Christmas. The calendar windows open to reveal an image, poem, a portion of a story (such as the story of the Nativity of Jesus) or a small gift, such as a toy or a chocolate item. Those of us in Europe can't possibly have missed seeing these piled in store windows. Some calendars are strictly religious, whereas others are secular in content. Click here for a fun electronic calendar that you can use with your class. Don't cheat -- you open the first door on December 1 this year. In the meantime, clicking on the pictures at the top will get you to some very usable activities.
10. Update -- Lisa will be back with the next Update on November 28. As always, we will send out any breaking news immediately. Also remember to check www.feaonline.org for current information.
11. Unity -- The first edition of the Unity for SY 12/13 has now been entirely mailed. If you do not receive them soon ( by the middle of next week ) then please notify us and we will mail more out to your school. We have some extras.
12. JCC Area November Minutes -- Attached are the minutes from the Area JCC that was held in Wiesbaden on November 14. They include the most up to date listing of closing, expanding, and changing schools.
13. LQA Rates - For the latest rates for your area, use the following link: LQA Rates.
14. Holiday Wishes - I would just like to take a moment and wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving Holiday. I know that one of the many things that I am thankful for is the opportunity to work alongside all of you. So whether you are eating turkey or traveling to Turkey I hope you all have a great day and a restful break. We have a slightly longer run-up to Christmas break this year so make sure you get some extra rest this weekend !
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051