November 19 2008 FEA Europe Report1. American Education Week
2. LQA Reconciliations
3. LQA Rates
4. NEA's Read Across America
5. Graph Paper
6. UniServ Support
7. Open Season Information
9. EEO Information
10. Early Notice Awards
1. American Education Week - NEA's 87th annual American Education Week (AEW) spotlights the importance of providing every child in with a quality education so that they can grow, prosper, and achieve in the 21st century. Wednesday's focus is Education Support Personnel, so this is a great time to thank all of those people who work in support positions and make our schools run so well. Friday is "Substitute Educators' Day". This day honors those who fill in for us when we are sick, on leave, TDY, etc., and we all know that is often a difficult job!
2. LQA Reconciliations - Remember that LQA Reconciliations are only required once, one year after moving in to your Quarters. After that you only need to do a reconciliation if your costs have changed. After turning in your reconciliation, if you have not gotten a response within 60 days, please contact the Human Resources specialist at your DSO.
3. LQA Rates - For the latest rates for your area, use the following link: https://webapps.dodea.edu/lqarates/lqarates.cfm
4. NEA's Read Across America - NEA launched the Read Across America program in 1997. The nationwide reading celebration takes place each year on or near March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss, who epitomizes a love of learning. Dr. Seuss's use of rhyme makes his books an effective tool for teaching young children the basic skills they need to be successful. For information and materials go to NEA's Read Across America Page.
Also, for other free related materials, go to kidthing.com for free digital book downloads of selected Read Across America books to share in the classroom.
5. Graph Paper - Like most teachers, I love "free stuff" and here is some more. Free downloadable graph paper. visit this site. Thanks to Charmaine Massingill, Wiesbaden MS, for this tip.
6. UniServ Support - Please remember that Jan Freeman is currently on leave and emergency legal work for all four FEA European Districts is currently being handled by Sequitta Banks. Pay issues can still be directed to Bill Freeman, via Jan's Outlook address.
7. Open Season Information - Attached is information from DoDEA concerning Federal Benefits Open Season.
8. TSP -- A reminder - For 2009, the IRS permits you to contribute up to $16,500 in tax-deferred money to the TSP. If you will be age 50 or older during 2009, you may also contribute up to $5,500 in additional "catch-up" contributions if your regular contributions for the year reach the $16,500 limit. It's never too early to begin planning! For more information click here.
9. EEO Information - Attached is some general information about the informal EEO complaint process. When you open the pdf, click on "view" and then select "rotate clockwise" if you want to read it without having to print it. The DoDEA EEO Program Manager is Mr. William Suddeth; his phone number 334-2490.
10. Early Notice Awards - Dr. Miles announced that Early Notice Awards will be offered this year for permanent educators who notify their supervisors of their intent to end their DoDDS employment at the end of the current school year.
Educators must submit to their supervisor a Request for Personnel Action (RPA) for resignation or retirement effect the end of the current school year or during summer recess no later than January 6, 2008. This is an irrevocable action. The supervisor will forward the RPA to the District PCR for verification of eligibility, processing and reporting to DoDEA. Retiring educators must complete and submit the appropriate retirement application package. Early Notice Awards will not be processed if the educator has not completed the proper retirement/ separation processing.
DoDEA will process the $500 award for each eligible employee. The payment will appear on the educator's LES in June 2009.
During this American Education Week, let me add my thanks to you for all you do,
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel/Fax: 0611-44756234 or
0611-44756131 or DSN 337-6251