October 27 2010 FEA Europe Update1. BoD
2. Fall Unity Mailing
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. Looking for Delegates
5. Clock Change
6. Open Season
7. HR Contacts Update
8. NEA-HCR Training
9. Housing Allowance Rates
10. Mark Your Calendars
1. BoD -- The FEA Board of Directors met this past week at the NEA building in Washington,DC. They were long intense meetings and much was accomplished. Highlights of the week included a teleconference with DoDEA Director Marilee Fitzgerald and a visit from Deputy Director Charlie Toth.
2. Fall Unity Mailing - FRS's should be receiving the fall edition of the Unity in the mail. Please distribute these to your members as quickly as possible. FRS's: If you do NOT receive this mailing by October 29, please notify Chuck McCarter or myself.
3. Area Directors' Travels -- Chuck is in Cuba visiting schools there as I write this. For me, I will be at Netzaberg ES and MS on October 28, Ansbach ES and MS on November 4, and at the Area office in Wiesbaden for a JCC along with Chuck on November 5. I will be visiting the Schweinfurt schools on December 6 and the Bamberg schools on December 7. Also, I am working out the details of a visit to the Ramstein/Landstuhl schools between November 29 and December 1. More school visits are being planned.
4. Looking for Delegates - FEA Europe is looking for interested members to serve as delegates to the NEA Mid-Atlantic Conferences. These three conferences will be held in Washington, DC and travel and expenses are funded by NEA. We need 2 delegates for the Mid-Atlantic Regional Leadership Conference (MARLC) January 28-30, 2011. We also need one delegate for the NEA Minority Leadership Training (MLT) Seminar, January 26-28, 2011; this is a two year commitment. These delegates also attend the MARL Conference. Finally we need two delegates for the Women's Leadership Training Conference, January 26-28, 2011. These delegates also attend the MARL Conference. There is a short suspense on this so please let your Area Director immediately know if you are interested in attending. We will request that DoDEA grant Admin Leave for the selected participants. The attachment has more details.
5. Clock Change -- Please remember that Daylight Savings Time ends here at 0200 this Sunday, October 31. Clocks will be turned back one hour at that point. The United States does not change clocks until one week later, November 7.
6. Open Season -- Another reminder: The Federal Benefits Open Season runs from November 8 through December 13,2010. This is the time in which employees can enroll in the FSAFEDS Program for the 2011 Benefit Period. Current enrollees MUST re-enroll if they wish to participate in the 2011 Benefit Period. Enrollments DO NOT carry over year-to-year.
7. HR Contacts Update -- Attached are the latest contact numbers for your Human Resources personnel in Wiesbaden.
8. NEA-HCR Training - Please be aware of two valuable trainings that are coming up quickly: November 5-7: NEA-HCR Social Justice and Diversity Training for Credit, Wiesbaden High School Media Center and November 9: NEA-HCR Social Justice Training with Dinner to follow. Mannheim High School Media Center: 4-6 The POC for both trainings is Nancy Almendras.
9. Housing Allowance Rates -- Attached you will find a link to the latest housing allowance rates. It also gives you the current and historical conversion rates for each currency.
10. Mark Your Calendars --
October 31 -- Halloween
October 31 -- Daylight Savings Time ends in Europe
November 5-7 -- Social Justice and Diversity Training, Wiesbaden POC: Nancy Almendras
November 9 Social Justice Training with Dinner, Mannheim POC: Nancy Almendras
November 8 -- December 13 -- FEHB Open Season
November 11 -- Veterans Day
November 15 -- 19 - American Education Week
November 25 - Thanksgiving
11. Update - Chuck will be putting out the next Update on November 3.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051