October 25 2017 FEA Europe Update
25 October, 2017
1. FEA Elections
2. Open Season
3. Area Director's Travels
4. NEA Free Life Insurance
5. Red Ribbon Week
6. Puerto Rico News
7. Mark Your Calendar
8. Acacia University Information
9. Call for Visual Arts and Theatre Teachers
10. Science and Collision of Neutron Stars
1. Election for FEA Offices for SY 18-19 -- The nomination forms for the Division Representative and Division HCR Representative of Europe West, Europe East 1, Europe East 2, as well as All Europe HCR Representative, and NEA Representative Assembly (RA) are attached with this update. The information should be clear in these attachments, however, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to write to me at this email or call the phone number listed in the FEA calendar. This link will take you to the timeline for these elections posted on the FEA website. These nomination forms are to be ‘received by' December 1, so do not delay.
2. Open Season -- Open season starts November 14 and runs through December 12. It seems as with everything, things will increase. According to this website premiums will increase an average of 4.4%. This site will give you the premium prices of health insurance for federal employees like us. OPM rate info.
3. Area Director's Travels -- I am in Kaiserslautern in an ISS Europe Wide training for the DoDEA walk through tool and to visit some schools in the area for this week of 23-27 October. If there is any ‘Breaking News' I will distribute it as quickly as possible. Visiting the FEA website at www.FEAonline.org will give you up to the moment information.
4. NEA Benefit -- NEA offers ‘complimentary' life insurance to all members by simply registering at this site. You can also register your beneficiary immediately at this site. This is just another way NEA gives back to us.
5. Red Ribbon Week -- An elementary student came home one day with a red ribbon tied to their shirt, and the parent asked them why they had the red ribbon. The student said it was because they were doing drugs at school. It can always happen that some things get lost in translation, so be vigilant in what we say, even when it's a good cause. Red Ribbon Week (a national program to lead and support families and communities in nurturing the full potential of healthy, drug free youth) is scheduled for October 23 through October 31. See this site for more information.
6. Puerto Rico -- As we are all aware of Hurricane Maria that went through Puerto Rico it seems important for us to think of our DoDEA colleagues there. This site on the DoDEA web page gives you information about all schools and seems some may even be starting again as I send this. Hope for the best for our colleagues there!
7. Mark Your Calendar
October 23 -- 31 -- Red Ribbon Week
October 28 -- Cross Country Championships
October 29 -- Daylight Savings Time Ends (Europe)
November 2-4 -- Volleyball (girls and boys) Championships
November 4 -- Football Championships
November 5 -- Daylight Savings Time Ends (United States)
November 14 -- December 12 Open Season
Congratulations to Girls and Boys Team Ramstein on First place, Wiesbaden Boys and Kaiserslautern Girls on 2nd place, and Stuttgart Girls and Kaiserslautern Boys on 3rd place for the golf championships of 2017. You can view pieces of the tournament here.
8. Acacia University Online Courses -- These programs are specifically priced for FEA members, and are 100% online from the accredited Acacia University. All master's level courses are $180 per credit ($45 savings). The cost for a single 3-credit graduate level course is $540 ($135 savings) We will waive the application fee and the graduation fee ($175) E-textbooks and digital materials are included. The total cost for a 36-credit master's degree program is $6,480. A 22% savings! The Doctorate program will cost $330 per credit hour and this includes e-textbooks and digital materials. Total fee of $19,800 for 60 credits. Residency fees, application fee, graduation fee, and dissertation fee are waived. Total savings of $1,525! For More information contact Tim Moman at this email or go to Acacia University
9. Call for Visual Arts and Theatre teachers to apply for the Fine Arts Cohort--Last year, an FEA and DoDEA partnership led to the establishment of a Music Cohort to develop a successful professional development plan for the implementation of the new National Core Arts Standards (NCAS), adopted by DoDEA as the NCAS Arts. The cohort was so well received that it is being expanded to include Visual Art and Theatre teachers. Cohort members will attend (virtually or face-to-face, TBD) an initial Trainer-of-Trainers conference during the second quarter of SY 2017/2018.Are you interested in becoming a cohort member? Please fill out the interest form below by Friday, October 27th, 2017 so you can receive communication regarding next steps and additional specifics, including the application which is due NLT November 1st, 2017. Click here for the showing of interest form for this cohort.
10. Science and the Collision of Neutron Stars -- This site from the New York Times provides a four minute video about the collision of the neutron stars just discovered by LIGO.(Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) The explanation is a bit higher level but could be interesting for many levels if given a bit of explanation before showing. Check out the video here.
FEA Europe Area Director