October 24 2018 FEA Europe Update
24 October 2018
1. Open Season
2. Read Across America Projects
3. HCR Newsletter
4. Deadline for Mailing to the States
5. New CHRA Link for HR issues
6. FSBP Places/Dates
7. Music Cohort (from HCR Dept)
8. Europe HCR info for training
9. Mark Your Calendar
10. Area Director's Travels
1. Open Season -- As it is getting close to open season for changes in insurance etc. there has been some questions about where to find EBIS. The site is not as easily accessible through the DoDEA website so I have included it here in case you need it. It is likely you will need to register as a new user, however, that is and easy task. I hope this will help you should you need to change any of your personal aspects in EBIS. EBIS link. To get the most up-to-date information about the FEHB plans you can visit this site.
2. FEA NEEDS YOUR IDEAS FOR READ ACROSS AMERICA PROJECTS! (From the President's Report)
FEA is applying to NEA for grant money to help fund Read Across America events for our members worldwide on NEA's Read Across America Day (Friday, March 1, 2019). To bolster our grant application, we need specific projects from local associations who would like to request grant money.
If you, as an individual FEA member, or your local association have an idea for a great Read Across America event and you need help with funding your event idea, please send a message to FEA Communications Director Gary Hritz with application details as outlined below.
In keeping with NEA's theme for the 2019 reading celebration, Read Across America events and/or activities should incorporate the theme of "Celebrating a Nation of Diverse Readers." Emphasis should be placed on diverse books from diverse authors that will appeal to an increasingly diverse student population.
3. HCR-- This issue contains information about HCR Program training opportunities, points to consider surrounding bringing holiday music/activities into your classroom, resources for Native American Heritage Month, and contact information for HCR advocates. October HCR newsletter.
4. Deadline for Mailing to the States for the Holidays:
27 NOVEMBER . . . SPACE AVAILABLE MAIL
11 DECEMBER . . . PRIORITY PARCELS
11 DECEMBER . . . FIRST CLASS LETTERS
17 DECEMBER . . . EXPRESS MAIL
5. CHRA Link for HR -- The old URL of: https://www.abc.army.mil/ will re-direct for 6 months, therefore please use https://portal.chra.army.mil/abc/ This new URL is, as you see the replacement for the URL sent earlier this year.
6. FSBP Places/Dates -- While FEA Does not endorse any one insurance company, when they provide a list of their dates to visit with members, we ensure members know. To date FSBP is the only group that has contacted FEA with their dates. When/If others contact FEA we will let members know about their visits as well.
Monday, Nov 5 - Garmish (confirmed)
Tuesday, Nov 6 - Grafenwohr
Wednesday, Nov 7 -- Vilseck
Thursday, Nov 8 - Hohenfels
Friday, Nov 9 - Ramstein
Tuesday, Nov 13 - Stuttgart
Wednesday, Nov 14 - K-Town (confirmed)
Thursday, Nov 15 - Weisbaden
Friday, Nov 16 - Spangdahlem
7. Music Cohort -- This in from our World Wide HCR Alina Rozanski. Two years ago, an FEA and DoDEA partnership led to the establishment of a Music Cohort to develop a successful professional development plan for the implementation of the new National Core Arts Standards (NCAS), adopted by DoDEA as the CCRS Arts. The cohort was so well received that it was expanded to include Visual Art and Theatre teachers last school year. For the current school year, we are looking to replace cohort members we have lost in Music and Visual Art. New cohort members will virtually attend an initial Trainer-of-Trainers meeting during the second quarter of SY 2018/2019. Cohort members agree to complete collaborative cohort work by deadlines stated, to include facilitating CCRS Arts trainings, creating lessons and example videos for training use, and to continue in teacher leader roles in SY 2019/20 by providing active mentoring to DoDEA teachers as they implement the developed plan.
Are you interested in becoming a cohort member? Please fill out the form below by Monday, October 29th, 2018 so we can communicate with you about next steps and additional specifics, including the application that is due by Friday, November 2nd, 2018. Click here is you are interested in being a cohort member.
8. Europe HCR Info -- From Patricia Hannon, HCR Europe Coordinator. This year, the FEA Human and Civil Rights Division will be hosting an important training for building-level Human and Civil Rights Coordinators. If you have not done so already, please make sure to report the name of your school's Human and Civil Rights Coordinator to your area HCR coordinator listed below:
Europe East: John Crowe
Europe West 1: Felicia Raymundo
Europe West 2: Cheyenne Schaefer
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO PROVIDE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION NLT COB FRIDAY, NOV 2! If you do not have a building HCR, you may appoint/elect one. We wish to have every school represented for this important training.
9. Mark Your Calendar-
October 21- 26 -- JLS (Junior Leadership Seminar)
October 25 -- 27 -- Tennis Championships at Wiesbaden
October 27 -- Cross Country at Baumholder
October 28 - Europe Daylight Savings Time
November 1-3 Volleyball Championships Girls at Ramstein/Kaiserslautern
November 2-3 Volleyball Championships Boys at Vicenza
November 3 Football Championships at Kaiserslautern
November 4 -- U.S. Daylight Savings Time
10. Area Director's Travels -- Recently I was at the great schools of Stuttgart HS and at the ES for their FEA meeting. You can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's happening.