October 24, 2012 FEA Europe Update1. FEA President Visits
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. Red Ribbon Week
4. American Indian Heritage Month
5. American Education Week
6. Health Fair Info
7. Open Season
8. Mark Your Calendars
9. Daylight Saving Time Ends (This Weekend )
12. Championship Time
14. Treats, Not Tricks
1. FEA President Visits -- Michael Priser, FEA President, is currently finalizing the details for a trip to Europe beginning early next year. He should be arriving around January 21 and staying until February 9/10. While here he will visit many schools and complexes. He will be visiting schools in England, Belgium, Holland, and Germany. While it will be impossible for him to visit every school there will be a number of evening events and some should be in your area. As his schedule solidifies I will continue to include it in this Update.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- This week I will be visiting the Bamberg schools on Thursday, October 25th . On November 3rd I will be in Kaiserslautern for an HCR workshop and on the 14th will be in Wiesbaden for the next JCC.
3. Red Ribbon Week - Enrique (Kiki) Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was tortured and killed in Mexico in 1985. Camarena worked his way through college, served in the Marines and became a police officer. When he decided to join the US Drug Enforcement Administration, his mother tried to talk him out of it. "I'm only one person", he told her, "but I want to make a difference." In honor of Camarena's memory and his battle against illegal drugs, friends and neighbors began to wear red badges of satin. Parents, sick of the destruction of alcohol and other drugs, had begun forming coalitions. Some of these new coalitions took Camarena as their model and embraced his belief that one person can make a difference. These coalitions also adopted the symbol of Camarena's memory, the red ribbon. The National Family Partnership organized the first Nationwide Red Ribbon Campaign. Since that time, the campaign has reached millions of U.S. children and families. The National Family Partnership (NFP) and its network of individuals and organizations continue to deliver his message of hope to millions of people every year, through the National Red Ribbon Campaign. Red Ribbon Week is scheduled for October 23 through October 31. See the attachment for more information.
4. American Indian Heritage Month - November was officially recognized as National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month in 1990 when President George H.W. Bush signed it into Public Law. See these sites for more information:
Native American and Alaska Native Heritage Month
American Indian Heritage Resources
Native American Heritage Month website
National Museum of the American Indian - Classroom Lessons
Celebrating American Indian Heritage Boosts Achievement
Native American Book List
5. American Education Week - NEA's American Education Week (AEW) spotlights the importance of providing every child in America with a quality public education from kindergarten through college, and the need for everyone to do his or her part in making public schools great. See American Education Week.
6 . Health Fair Info - BlueCross BlueShield, Mail Handlers and Foreign Service Benefit Plan will be attending all the Health Fairs in the attachment except the one at the Consulate in Frankfurt on Oct. 26 and in Brussels on November 2. BlueCross will be the only carrier attending those. Thanks to Terese Sarno for passing on this information.
7. Office of Personnel Management Open Season - Each year, Open Season runs from the Monday of the second full workweek in November through the Monday of the second full workweek in December. This year, Open Season runs from November 12, 2012 through December 10, 2012.This is an opportunity to change insurance plans and to elect other Federal benefits, such as the flexible savings accounts. I also have been alerting you about this for the last two updates and now it is only 2 weeks away.
8. Mark Your Calendars --
October 23 -- 31 Red Ribbon week
October 28 -- Daylight saving Time ends (Europe)
October 31 - Halloween
November 1 -- 30 American Indian Heritage Month
November 1 -- First Quarter Ends
November 4 -- Daylight Saving Time ends (USA)
November 12 -- Veterans Day (Federal Holiday)
9. Daylight Saving Time Ends (This Weekend) -- I have been warning of this but now it is here. Daylight Saving Time officially ends on October 28 in most of Europe and one week later (November 4) in the states. Check the website here for more interesting and useful information on this topic. Remember -- spring forward, fall back.
10. Update -- Lisa will be back with her next Update on October 31, Halloween. Expect a real ‘treat' ! Please know that if there is any breaking news that we will get it out immediately and remember to also to check in regularly to www.feaonline.org
11. Unity -- The first edition of the Unity for SY 12/13 has been sent to the printer. We anticipate having all copies mailed within the next two weeks. There are some time sensitive issues included so keep an eye open for it.
12. Championship Time -- DoDDS-E Fall sports seasons are now rapidly coming to a close. That means it is now Championship Time. Below is an updated list of where and when these events will be held. (Swimming teams continue on in to the Winter season.) Gold has completed their competition. Congratulations to the winners and to all participants.
Cross Country -- European Championships Oct. 27 Baumholder
Football - ‘Super Six' Nov. 3 Baumholder
Tennis European Championships Oct. 25-27 Wiesbaden
Volleyball European Championships Nov. 1-3 Ramstein/KMC
Winter Sports season begins Nov. 12.
13. FSAFEDS - You MUST re-enroll in FSAFEDS each year to continue your participation. As mentioned above the Federal Benefits Open Season begins Monday, November 12 and ends on Monday, December 10. Don't forget to enroll! For further information go to the FSAFEDS home page
14. Treats, Not Tricks -- The following web page has some of the most classic Halloween cartoons ever made, one of which is over 83 years old. This is just for fun but when I found this page I knew that I just had to share it. Also, I previewed all the clips and they would be usable in any classroom if you are celebrating the holiday and ‘treating' the students. Squidoo.com
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051