October 13, 2010 FEA Europe Report1. Finally
2. Fall Unity
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. National Day on Writing
5. Clock Change
6. Open Season
7. Retirement Planning
9. Article 51
10. Mark Your Calendars
1. Finally -- This Update is coming from my school computer. Hopefully my technology woes are over for a while.
2. Fall Unity -- FRS's should be on the lookout for the Fall edition of FEA Europe's Unity which will be mailed to you in the next week. Please distribute them to your members as quickly as possible.
3. Area Directors' Travels -- Chuck and I will be attending the FEA Board of Directors' meeting in Washington, D.C., from October 18 -- 22. Immediately from there Chuck will be traveling to Cuba. I will be visiting the Schweinfurt schools on December 6 and Bamberg on December 7. Also, I am working out the details of a visit to the Ramstein/Landstuhl schools between November 29 and December 1. More school visits are being planned.
4. National Day on Writing - Wednesday, October 20, has been designated as the National Day on Writing by the National Council of Teachers of English. The flier for the event is attached. A number of writing resources that go along with the day (and can be used all year for that matter) can be found at http://www.ncte.org/dayonwriting/about
5. Clock Change -- Although it is a few weeks away this is an early reminder that Daylight Savings Time ends here at 0200 on Sunday, October 31. Clocks will be turned back one hour at that point. Please note that the United States does not change clocks until one week later, November 7.
6. Open Season -- Another reminder: The Federal Benefits Open Season runs from November 8 through December 13,2010. This is the time in which employees can enroll in the FSAFEDS Program for the 2011 Benefit Period. Current enrollees MUST re-enroll if they wish to participate in the 2011 Benefit Period. Enrollments DO NOT carry over year-to-year.
7. Retirement Planning - For those planning their retirement, or close to retirement, the following link may help answer some questions: http://www.opm.gov/asd/htm/hod.htm
8. Correction - In my last Update I incorrectly listed January 1, 2011 as a Sunday. It should have read 2012.
9. Article 51 - As we near the end of the first quarter, we often receive questions about grades and grade policies. Article 51, cited below, may be helpful!
ARTICLE 51 - PUPIL GRADES
Section 1. A unit employee may establish his/her own grading system. In such cases, the unit employee is responsible for translating the grading system to the Employer's. The unit employee's record of grades shall contain a key for translating his/her system to the established grading system in use.
Section 2. Students' grades may be requested for review and approval by the Employer before grade reports are distributed to students or parents.
Section 3. In the event that any grade is challenged, the unit employee shall explain and justify the grade assigned.
Section 4. If the Employer takes action to change a student's grade without the consent of the affected unit employee or directs the unit employee to change a grade, a written statement from the Employer shall be provided to the unit employee, stating that the change in grade and/or the passing or failing of the student was done at the discretion of the Employer
10. Mark Your Calendars --
October 16,17 -- Strategic Leadership/Group Process Skills, Kaiserslautern POC: Terese Sarno
October 18 -- 22 - FEA Board of Directors meeting Washington, D.C.
October 20 - National Day on Writing
October 31 -- Halloween
October 31 -- Daylight Savings Time ends in Europe
November 5-7 -- Social Justice and Diversity Training, Wiesbaden POC: Nancy Almendras
November 8 -- December 13 -- FEHB Open Season
November 11 -- Veterans Day
November 15 -- 19 - American Education Week
11. Update/BoD - Due to the Board of Directors meeting there will be no Update next week. The next Update will be on October 27. Also, please understand that both Chuck and I will be in meetings all day so we may be a little slow to answer e-mails during this busy week.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051