October 10, 2018 FEA Europe Report
10 October 2018
1. Open Season
2. RAT Travel Reimbursement Info
3. GPS Grants from NEA
4. Info on PCS/Retirement moves
5. Red Ribbon Week
6. National Day on Writing
7. National Education Association info
8. Mark Your Calendar
9. Non Temporary Storage (updated)
10. FEA At Large Officer Election Info
11. In Case you missed it (Article on LQA)
12. Read Across America Grants
13. Area Director's Travels
1. Open Season -- As it is getting close to open season for changes in insurance etc. there has been some questions about where to find EBIS. The site is not as easily accessible through the DoDEA website so I have included it here in case you need it. It is likely you will need to register as a new user, however, that is and easy task. I hope this will help you should you need to change any of your personal aspects in EBIS. https://www.abc.army.mil/ To get the most up-to-date information about the FEHB plans you can visit this site.
2. RAT Travel Directions for Reimbursement -- All copies of airline etickets, receipts and 1351-2 signed by your supervisor should be sent to HQ.DTS_DoDEA@hq.dodea.edu. Also, DTS can't pay out shipping costs....that costs was funded and has to be paid through the TOPS orders. The orders (ALL pages and amendments) along with a 1351-2, and receipts should be sent through the normal or rather "old" process that everyone has been accustomed to in the past and sent to HQPCSRATVouchers@hq.dodea.edu. Anything sent directly to DFAS will not be processed and "should" be returned to sender. If you would like to check on the status of your payment you can email Ms. Olga Payne at Olga.firstname.lastname@example.org
3. GPS Grants from NEA -- Attached to this update is information about the NEA GPS Grants. (Great Public Schools) The guidelines are listed as well as the due dates. These grants can greatly help our schools and/or members with GOOD in-service designed by teachers. There have been FEA members receive these grants, who then provided the good training for our schools. It is worth a look to see if you can be a facilitator for our schools and members. Learn more at http://www.nea.org/grants/56270.htm to find something for you.
4. Info on Taxed PCS/Retirement Moves -- A bipartisan group of five Senators this week introduced legislation that would allow the government to reimburse incoming and departing federal civilian employees for taxes assessed to them on moving allowances and assistance. FEA/NEA are among employee groups who have been urging lawmakers to rectify this situation, created by last year's tax changes. Learn more about the proposed legislation to fix this tax burden. Always check the FEA website for more info www.FEAonline.org
5. Red Ribbon Week -- -- Enrique (Kiki) Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was tortured and killed in Mexico in 1985. Camarena worked his way through college, served in the Marines and became a police officer. When he decided to join the US Drug Enforcement Administration, his mother tried to talk him out of it. "I'm only one person," he told her, "but I want to make a difference." In honor of Camarena's memory and his battle against illegal drugs, friends and neighbors began to wear red badges of satin. Parents, sick of the destruction of alcohol and other drugs, had begun forming coalitions. Some of these new coalitions took Camarena as their model and embraced his belief that one person can make a difference. These coalitions also adopted the symbol of Camarena's memory, the red ribbon. The National Family Partnership organized the first Nationwide Red Ribbon Campaign. Since that time, the campaign has reached millions of U.S. children and families. The National Family Partnership (NFP) and its network of individuals and organizations continue to deliver his message of hope to millions of people every year, through the National Red Ribbon Campaign. Red Ribbon Week is scheduled for October 23 through October 31. See visit this site for more information.
6. National Day on Writing -- What Is the National Day on Writing? Every October 20, NCTE celebrates the importance, joy, and evolution of writing through a tweetup, using the hashtag #WhyIWrite and events hosted by thousands of educators across the country. This year we've launched a new website. Visit WhyIWrite.us for resources, the latest hashtag conversation, and a brand new podcast series.
7. National Education Association info (NEA) -- NEA provides a wealth of material for teachers and this link provides you with ideas for classroom management, and how to beat the holiday fatigue. NEA Member Benefits. They also provide ideas for proven complete lessons, aligned to CCR standards with this link http://betterlesson.com We encourage you to visit the NEA webpages for all the information happening stateside.
8. Mark Your Calendar-
October 10- 11 -- Golf Championships at Wiesbaden
October 16 -- Deadline for receipt of nomination forms for Ďat-large officers' for FEA
October 21- 26 -- JLS (Junior Leadership Seminar)
October 25 -- 27 -- Tennis Championships at Wiesbaden
October 27 -- Cross Country at Baumholder
October 28 - Europe Daylight Savings Time
November 1-3 Volleyball Championships Girls at Ramstein/Kaiserslautern
November 2-3 Volleyball Championships Boys at Vicenza
November 3 Football Championships at Kaiserslautern
November 4 -- U.S. Daylight Savings Time
9. Non-Temporary Storage - Goods in Storage: If you have goods in storage, you should normally receive a "fund cite" in September. The fund citations for the storage are done on a fiscal year basis. DoDEA notifies the storage companies of the new fund citations and employees about the same time. The notices go initially to the school secretary, who should distribute them to employees. If you have not received a notice, please check first with your school secretary. The letters for this storage should have gone to the storage companies just before October 1, and is worth checking to see if where your storage is received it.
10. Election Information -- FEA members will elect four at-large officers this school year: President, Vice President, and NEA Director for Federal, and FEA Human & Civil Rights Coordinator. To learn more, including how to nominate yourself or another FEA Active member, go to the FEA Election Information Page. The deadline for receipt of nomination forms is October 16, 2018.
11. In case you missed it -- An article from the Stars and Stripes from September 19 discusses the new ideas for LQA. It is worth a check as it discusses new ideas for civilian LQA. You can find it here.
12. Proposal for Read Across America Grants -- FEA is applying to NEA for grant money to help fund Read Across America events for our members worldwide on NEA's Read Across America Day (Friday, March 1, 2019). To bolster our grant application, we need specific projects from local associations who would like to request grant money. This site will give you more information and what you can do to possibly receive the grant or help. If you, as an individual FEA member, or your local association have an idea for a great Read Across America event and you need help with funding your event idea, please check out this information.
13. Area Director's Travels -- Recently I was just at the area office for the first JCC of the year. There will be answers about IT, cleanliness of schools, RAT reimbursement, PARCC testing and retirement briefings. I will be in Stuttgart at the Stuttgart ES for their FEA meeting 17 October, and hope to make some time to visit the HS as well. You can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's up.
FEA Europe Representative