January 6 2016 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. NEA Foundation Award
4. IRS Forms and Publications
5. Area JCC
8. NEA Representative Assembly Election
9. Inclement Weather
10. Open Season
11. Mark Your Calendar
12. VERA/VSIP and Transfers
13. Member Benefits
14. Honor Jazz Fest
15. DoDDS Reunion
1. Welcome Back - I hope that you all had a break that was everything that you wanted it to be. My wishes are that 2016 will be even a better year. There will be loads of important information coming out in the next month so please pay attention to these Updates and others that will be posted as news becomes available.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- I will be staying close to home over the course of the next few weeks. With things like VERA/VSIP and the transfer round coming up I want to stay near my computer. However, shortly I will begin to schedule future visits.
3. NEA Foundation Award -- Each year the NEA Foundation Awards for Teaching Excellence recognizes educators whose professional practice and advocacy for the profession are exemplary. All state affiliates, including FEA, are allowed to nominate one candidate a year (we are looking for a nominee for 2016 -- our 2015 nominee is John Crowe of Feltwell ES) for this prestigious award. The application is attached and needs to be returned to your Area Director no later than April 1. For further information on this go to: this page and also to this page.
4. IRS Forms and Publications -- As tax season approaches, this site has all of the forms and publications that you will need to complete your 2015 tax filing. Most can be done electronically. Also, be aware that most military installations offer tax services for civilians at no cost--check with legal office on your base/post.
5. Area JCC -- The date for the next Area JCC (January) has not yet been set. We will get that information out as soon as a date is confirmed.
6. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. The next Update will be the President's Report on January 15. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
7. Unity -- The first edition of the Unity for 2015/16 has now been completed and mailed. It is loaded with good information and articles. Also, it has all the information, including the nomination form, for running for the NEA Representative Assembly this summer. If for any reason you have not received a copy, it can be accessed here: http://feaonline.org/media/unity/UNITY_Fall_2015.pdf
8. NEA Representative Assembly Election - Information about running for election as a delegate to the 2016 National Education Association Representative Assembly is now out. This is America's biggest gathering of educational leaders all in one place. Over 15,000 attendees, representing 3 million National Education Association members nationwide and overseas, will meet in Washington, DC, next summer. FEA Europe currently has 6 delegate positions to the RA, one from each division and one at-large delegate from each area. The deadline for nominations to be received is February 1, 2016. You can find this and more information in the current Unity. (See #7 above).
9. Inclement Weather - With cold weather on its way (and actually it is here at the time of this writing), FRS's should work with your principals to insure that the lines of communication are clear in case of school delays or closures. Please remember that the military commander makes the decision on weather related delays and closures. Attached is Article 22, Section 4 of the Negotiated Agreement which deals with school closures.
10. Open Season -- During the recent Open Season many of you may have made changes to your benefits. These changes should have been reflected in your upcoming LES. Please check to see that they are correct.
11. Mark Your Calendar-
January 18 -- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 28 -- Second Quarter/First Semester Ends
January 29 -- Teacher Work Day
February 1 -- Beginning of Third Quarter/Second Semester
12. VERA/VSIP and Transfers -- As of today, January 6, nothing has actually occurred other than what was previously announced. I am anticipating that things will begin to happen quickly within a few days and am in constant contact with our Washington Headquarters. It could well be that before you even get to this Update that more information will be out. This information will likely appear first at www.feaonline.org FRS's at this moment are verifying what vacancies have been submitted by their individual school.
13. Member Benefits -- Members often forget the multitude of benefits that are at their disposal. Everything from credit cards, saving plans, online courses, various insurances, etc. Check out the full range of these benefits at www.neamb.com .
14. Honor Jazz Fest -- This year's DoDDS-E annual Honor Jazz Fest will be held on January 14, 2016. It is well worth attending if possible. The concert is scheduled for 1930 at the:
66649 Sickengenstadt Landstuhl
The concert will also be live-streamed at 1930 on www.doddshost.net Give it a look !Tickets are free.(Thanks to Lucky Moore of the Area office for the above information.)
15. DoDDS Reunion--The annual DoDDS reunion will be held July 14-July 17, 2015 in Spokane, Washington at The Oak Brook Marriot Hotel. For registration information go to: this page .Register early as prices go up as the event gets closer.
FEA Europe Area Director