January 4 2012 FEA Europe Update1. Welcome Back !
2. W-2 Forms
3. Area Directors' Travels
4. ARR and ELWOP
5. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Day of Service
6. FEA President Visits
7. Nominations Sought
8. Retirement Information
9. DoDDS-E Jazz Seminar 2012
10. IRS Forms and Publications
11. Mark Your Calendars
12. VERA, Transfers, and Early Notice Awards
1. Welcome Back -- And best wishes to all for a great 2012 ! (Which I am sure that it will be if the Mayans aren't right about December 21 !) One other thing that I need to mention: last August I had a number of people upset that we had to come back to school a day early, on Tuesday, August 23. At the time I made a simple statement : ‘You'll hate it in August but love it in January'. From the smiles I saw on the faces of teachers and students that I ran in to on Monday I think it is safe to say that I was right ! Next year's report date is Wednesday, August 22.
2. W-2 Forms -- Your W-2 form should be available on the MyPay site starting January 5th. You can access them here but you will need a password.
3. Area Directors' Travels -- At this point in time I have no travels planned but will be looking to schedule school visits for the near future. (As soon as I plan a long distance trip that is when the ice and snow will hit !) Lisa also has no trips planned at this time.
4. ARR and ELWOP - Attached is the information and application materials for Administrative Re-Employment Rights and Educational Leave Without Pay programs for SY 12/13. This is open to all permanent
Educators. You may have already received this but with the deadline approaching I will include it again. Applications are due NLT January 12, 2012.
5. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Day of Service - This federal holiday, celebrated this year on January 16, honors Reverend King's life and commitment to equality and unity. Celebrated simultaneously, the Day of Service encourages citizens to follow King's words: "Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve." Read more at the Martin Luther King web site. Also at this site you can find helpful tools to use in your classroom.
6. FEA President Visits -- Last month FEA President Michael Priser visited over 20 schools in Europe and had the opportunity to speak with many members both at the schools and at after school functions. His trip began on November 28 and did not wind up until December 15. It was a very grueling trip to say the least as I joined him at 4 of the schools and had a hard time keeping up. Members were very grateful for his visit and on behalf of FEA Europe I would like to offer a word of gratitude to Michael for his efforts.
7. Nominations Sought -- The NEA Foundation Awards for Teaching Excellence recognize outstanding educators from throughout NEA. FEA can submit one member's name as a nominee for the award each year. To nominate yourself or someone else to represent FEA in this awards competition, see the complete nominations information document. In order to be considered, a nominee's complete information must be submitted to FEA by February 15, 2012.
8. Retirement Information -- Thinking about retiring? The NEA 5 Minute Retirement Checkup" that may be useful…go to Member Benefits website has a ". Also, remember the EBIS website has a retirement calculator as well.
9. DoDDS-E Jazz Seminar 2012 - Jazz Seminar 2012 will take place 8-13 January in Brussels, Belgium. The evening concert (open to the public) is on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 1930. The concert location is GC de Lijsterbes, Lijsterbessenbomenlaan 6,1950 Kraainem Tel. 02 721 28. Admission is free, and seating will be available on a first come, first served basis. While I realize that it is unlikely that many of you could actually make it to Brussels that night you can use the link below to watch it from home.
The concert will be live-streamed and can be viewed on the Internet at:
User name: dodeateam
For additional information, please contact Mrs. Hope Matthews, Fine Arts ISS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0049-162-234-1976, Mr. Jeff Pellaton, event Music Director at email@example.com or Mr. Scott Rumery, event school host, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. IRS Forms and Publications -- As tax season approaches, this site has all of the forms and publications that you will need to complete your 2011 tax filing. Most can be done electronically. Here is the link to the site.
11. Mark Your Calendars -
January 16 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 25 - 29 - NEA Mid-Atlantic Regional Conferences, Crystal City, VA
January 27 -- Teacher Work Day
January 29 -- Third Quarter Begins
12. VERA, Transfers, and Early Notice Awards -- As of today we have heard no further information on VERA, Early Notice Awards, or the transfer round. As soon as any news comes out we will immediately notify you. Also, you can always check at www.feaonline.org for breaking news.
13. Update - The next Update will be Lisa's on January 11. In the meantime stay informed on any developments by visiting www.feaonline.org This is always the best place to visit for accurate and up to the minute information.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051