January 30 2013 FEA Europe Update
January 30, 2013
1. FEA President
2. FEA Election Information
3. From Our Members
4. 100th day of School
5. Staffing Standards
6. Any Purpose Leave (APL)
7. National School Counseling Week
8. Student Online Anthology
9. DoDDS-E Film Fest
10. Summer STEM Opportunity
11. The Cat in the Hat is Back
1. FEA President Travels: FEA President Michael Priser will be visiting many of our schools in Europe during the next week or so. Meetings are planned in Bitburg/Spangdahlem, Ramstein, Heidelberg, Schweinfurt, Bamberg, Netzaberg, and Grafenwoehr. Please take this opportunity to see Michael and hear the latest union news.
2. FEA Election information: FEA Europe Election (NEA RA representatives only) materials have been mailed to all FRSs in Europe and Cuba. Please contact me if you have not received your packet of information within 10 days. This is separate from the FEA worldwide election, with different suspense dates. If you have any questions, please let me know.
3. From Our Members: If you have something you would like to share, please pass it along to either Alex or me and if possible, we will include it in our updates.
6. Any Purpose Leave: According to Article 21, Sections 1 & 5, of the Negotiated Agreement between FEA and DoDEA, Teachers are entitled to request up to three days of Any Purpose Leave (APL). This leave may be used for any purpose, and the employee is NOT obligated to state the reasons for requesting such leave. Normally this leave should not be taken during the first or last week of the school year, though exceptions may be granted when early departure or late arrival is necessitated by summer school attendance or other reasons acceptable to the employer.
7. National School Counseling Week: Attached is a letter from Headquarters declaring February 4-8, 2013 as National School Counseling Week. Please take time during this week to honor our school counselors who work so hard for our students.
8. Student Online Anthology: Principals have been provided information regarding the DoDDS-E Student Online Anthology. Please see this for information regarding School Points of Contact and suspense dates.
9. DoDDS-E Film Fest: Here is an opportunity for our wonderful Video Educators to have their students take part in the 2013 DoDDS-Europe Film Festival. Please see the attached letter for contact information.
10. Summer STEM Opportunity: Please see this website if interested in applying for a summer STEM opportunity. The deadline is February 5 and requires essays, a video and a recommendation. Contact Faye Batey for more information.
11. The Cat in the Hat is Back!: "Grab your Hat and Read with the Cat"--return to the beloved Dr. Seuss tale of mischief and celebrate the joy of reading across the nation on Friday, March 1, this year's official NEA's Read Across America Day.
About NEA's Read Across America
The National Education Association is building a nation of readers through its signature program, NEA's Read Across America. Now in its 16th year, this year-round program focuses on motivating children and teens to read through events, partnerships, and reading resources.
"You're never too old,
too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book
and read with a child."
Have a great week!
Lisa Garmon Ali
FEA Europe Area Director
PSC 41 Box 5569
APO AE 09464
Tel: 44-1638527662 (outside UK)