January 18, 2017 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back
2. Area Directors' Travels
3. NEA Representative Assembly Election
4. Spring 2017 Election
6. SY 2017-2018 Calendar
7. Area JCC
8. IRS Forms and Publications
9. Europe East 2 HCR Coordinator
11. Mark Your Calendar
12. Transfer Vacancy List
13. DoDDS Schools
14. Open Season
15. NEA/HCR Training
16. Good News from our FEA Music Cohort
17. Note on Substitutes
18. National School Counseling Week
1. Welcome Back -- Although we are now in the third week of school since break this is the first Update for me in 2017, so now let me officially say Welcome Back! I trust that you all had a wonderful break and a well-deserved rest. Now looking forward we have many challenges ahead of us, but with the team around us I am very optimistic that everything, as much as possible, will turn out for the best. There will be loads of important information coming out in the next month so please pay attention to these Updates and others that will be posted as news becomes available.
2. Area Directors' Travels -- Last week I traveled to Sembach for the Area JCC, and then had the great opportunity of visiting all 3 of the Kaiserslautern schools: the ES, MS, and HS. I thank everyone that I got to meet for your warm welcome and generous hospitality, and the beautiful snow storm. (I also was treated to some pizza by the KAEA. Thank you!) In addition, I got to spend some extra time talking with members at both Ramstein IS and ES. For the coming week I will be staying very close to home trying desperately to get warm! Please always remember that for the most breaking news to check www.feaonline.org on a regular basis.
3. NEA Representative Assembly Election -- The deadline for submitting nominations has now passed. Ballots will be mailed to all members, via your FRS, in February.
4. Spring 2017 Election -- FEA has announced the following candidates for Europe Area Director. For more information please go to www.feaonline.org
Lisa Ali, Feltwell Elementary School
Susan Kelly, Kaiserslautern Middle School
Todd Laverents, Hohenfels Middle/High School
Terry McClain, Garmisch Elementary/Middle School
Alex Veto, Vilseck High School
5. Update- We will always let you know if something newsworthy comes up. In the meantime, check regularly with www.feaonline.org for your best source for breaking news. My next Update will be around February 1. Please also be reminded again that if you do go to FEA online you can sign up to have the President's Report emailed directly to you.
6. SY 2017-2018 Calendar -- The 2017-18 School Year Calendar that has been a major topic of discussion over the last few weeks, has finally been released. You can find it here
7. Area JCC -- The last Area JCC was held on January 11 in Sembach. The minutes are attached. The next Area JCC has tentatively been scheduled for February 16.
8. IRS Forms and Publications -- As tax season approaches, this site has all of the forms and publications that you will need to complete your 2016 tax filing. Most can be done electronically. Also, be aware that most military installations offer tax services for civilians at no cost--check with legal office on your base/post.
9. Europe East 2 HCR Coordinator -- FEA would like to congratulate and welcome our new Europe East 2 Division HCR Coordinator, Cheyenne Schaefer, from Vilseck High School. Contact information will follow.
10.Transfers - (I am sending this Update out a little early today so that you can amend your transfer application by COB if needed.) Amendments to transfer applications must be made by January 18, 2017, and the Transfer Round is slated to begin on January 23. Find complete transfer program information at FEA's Transfer Information Page.
11. Mark Your Calendar-
January 18 -- Deadline for amending transfer applications
January 19 -- Second Quarter (First Semester) ends
January 20 -- Teacher Workday (No meetings)
January 23 -- Third Quarter begins
February 1 -- 28 -- Black History Month
February 6 -- 10 -- National School Counseling Week
12. Transfer Vacancy List -- As of 1/13/17 the current list of vacancies worldwide that will be used for the transfer program can be found below.. Please be aware that with the Transfer Round not expected to begin until January 23 that there could be some minor changes. January 13 vacancy list.
13. DoDDS Schools -- Attached is a current listing of all DoDDS Schools by District. While this is of particular interest to those involved with the transfer program, I also believe that it is good information for all members to have.
14. Open Season -- During the recent Open Season many of you may have made changes to your benefits. These changes should be reflected in your upcoming LES. Please check to see that they are correct.
15. NEA/HCR Training -- (This message comes from Estelle Brown of Lakenheath who is the Europe West Division HCR Coordinator.) "We would like to offer NEA training in the spring. This mostly will be the Diversity training with an add on course of Social Justice training. We will need at least 25 interested participants to proceed with a request for trainers. This course is usually accompanied by the opportunity to earn 1 graduate credit from University of San Diego or Ashland University. Tentative dates are the 6th and 7th of May 2017. Please let me know who, and how many members from your school would be interested in attending so I can follow up. I hope you are all having a great start to the new year!"
16. Good News from our FEA Music Cohort - Any Fine Arts teacher who attends the CCRS Fine Arts Training (taking place concurrently but separately from the Dana Center and Catapult Math and LA trainings) can register for and receive one semester graduate credit. Teachers can get additional information from their facilitators. Thanks to Alina Rozanski, the FEA Human and Civil Rights Coordinator and Music Cohort Lead, for this information.
17. Note on Substitutes -- Just a quick mention on what I discovered over the weekend. In going through some drawers, I found an old FEA calendar from 2007. In it, substitute teachers pay was listed as $97 a day. In this year's calendar, it is $105 (a raise of $8 in ten years). While I know that it is not the only reason, could this be even some small factor in our problems with getting substitute teachers worldwide?
18. National School Counseling Week -- This special week celebrating school counselors will be held this year from February 6-10, with the purpose of focusing public attention on the unique contributions of professional school counselors within the U.S. school systems. In DoDEA, we are blessed with wonderful counselors who give much time and effort to helping students achieve school success and plan for their careers. For further information visit National School Counseling Week .
FEA Europe Area Director